So I got my new Razr Maxx this morning . . .

kevins686

Reaction score
It's on the charger now, and I'll probably go ahead and run the update to ICS here in a few. Also picked up a Motorola Elite Silver Bluetooth earpiece as well . . . anyone have experience with that?

One thing I wasn;'t expecting - I went in this morning to buy the phone outright, thus keeping my unlimited data. But I wound up taking an early upgrade instead ($199 w/ 2-year agreement) and opted for the shared data plan at 4GB/month with unlimited talk and text. I had no intention of voluntarily going to a tiered plan, but she pointed out that I've almost never gone over 2GB, so I figured that not only am I not really losing anything by walking away from unlimited, But I saved several hundred dollars off the full retail price.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the world of the Razr, if you are going to update to ICS I recommend not installing any APPS first and doing a factory data reset after the install is done.

I have never used that earpiece but I hear good things about it.

I understand about the unlimited plan, I have been on it for a long time now. However I usually don't even use 1GB, still it is the principle for me. That is my data and I want to be able to use it if I want. :)

I am sure you will love the phone, let us know if you have any questions.

PS: Nice signature, that movie is amazing.

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of the Razr, if you are going to update to ICS I recommend not installing any APPS first and doing a factory data reset after the install is done.

That's the plan . . .

I have never used that earpiece but I hear good things about it.

Yeah, the Verizon rep said it's their most popular one, for whatever that's worth . . .

I understand about the unlimited plan, I have been on it for a long time now. However I usually don't even use 1GB, still it is the principle for me. That is my data and I want to be able to use it if I want. :)

There was that sinking feeling knowing what I'd given up, but it was better than the sinking feeling of shelling out the $650 I was intending to when I walked in the door ;-)

I am sure you will love the phone, let us know if you have any questions.

You can pretty much count on that lol . . . updating to ICS as we speak.
PS: Nice signature, that movie is amazing.

Quite simply the finest motion picture ever made, bar none.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome aboard.. :) if tiered works for you... awesome... i just hope that the vzw person wasn't lying to you just to switch you over to the tiered data... they told me the same thing...

And i know for a fact that i use around 6.5 gigs per month.. :)

But i hope you enjoy the new phone :) and that everything works out for you ..

Beckeramos

Reaction score
mysticalmalissa said:
Welcome to the world of Maxx =)

I have the Elite Flip and it works wonderfully so I can only imagine yours will work just as well.

Yeah there trying to get everyone off the unlimited data. They may say just about anything.

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
Yeah there trying to get everyone off the unlimited data. They may say just about anything.

I actually called Verizon customer service about a month ago, solely to inquire into my usage, and what the rep told me that day was the same thing the rep at the store told me this morning - that I average between one and two gigs a month. I really only use it for light surfing, checking Facebook, stuff like that. I don't use Pandora or anything, so my data usage has never been particularly heavy . . .

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of Maxx =)

I have the Elite Flip and it works wonderfully so I can only imagine yours will work just as well.

I actually looked at the Flip, but I was intrigued by the form factor of the Silver. It's charging now, I'll pair it later on :)

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I checked using the my verizon app, and I use gigs and gigs, somwhere between 5 and 20

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Great phone (I have an X2, Maxx and GS3 in rotation) never have figured out how much Gig-a-Boo I use but have tried to hold onto a plan that perhaps I never use.
Congrats and enjoy!

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
First impressions on battery life . . .

Got the phone this morning at 10-ish, it had about 75% charge leaving the store. Got it home, put it on the charger, ran the update for ICS (but otherwise did not power off for charging), took it off the charger at 100% indicated. Now at a little over 4 hours in, I'm at about 70%, with moderate usage (hey, new toy, gotta play!). Obviously this isn't tapping the phone's full potential, but even if it never got any better than this, it's still a lot better than I was experiencing with the Thunderbolt it replaced, as that phone would be in the yellow after about 5 hours, even with light usage.

Another thought . . . I like the layout of the HTC a little bit better, but that may simply be because it's all I used for over a year. I do know, however, that the keyboard on the Razr is much nicer than the one on the HTC, and that was one of the things I definitely missed when I went from my OG Droid to the Thunderbolt!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm assuming that your first charge to 100% was with the phone still powered on? If so, you should start over but this time, power the phone off before charging to 100%. You may find that you get even greater battery life. This only needs to be done once initially. You should also get into the habit of every 2-3 months charging with power off, using to 15%, then powering off and repeating the charge to 100% once more. This will assure your meter is displaying the most accurate battery levels, and will protect you from possible soft bricking the phone due to a depleted battery that won't take a charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
I'm assuming that your first charge to 100% was with the phone still powered on?

That's correct.

If so, you should start over but this time, power the phone off before charging to 100%. You may find that you get even greater battery life.

That's what I plan on doing. Only thing is, I don't think I'm going to get it down to 10% by the time I get to bed, even though that'll be at maybe 2am - and nighttime is the only time I really want to power my phone completely off . . .