1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

So I got anxious and tried CryanogenMod...

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by PearlMikeJam, Aug 18, 2010.

1. PearlMikeJam

PearlMikeJam New Member

... and had to switch back to BB 0.4 almost immediately. I tried CM6RC3, and it was just too laggy. Using LP+ was difficult because bringing up the screen previews caused the phone to stutter. I liked having the new gApps, but the lag was not worth the newer version of the apps.

Additionally, it did not seem as though the ROM auto adjusted the CPU speed like it was suppose to. I ended up having to install SetCPU to get up the 800mhz of the kernel. I also tried MinFree to improve the lag, but it did not help. I did not want to install more apps to get the ROM as smooth as BB.

I know others have done this, but I thought I would post my experience for RC3 should anyone be getting the itch. It was not worth it for me. I now am going to research how I may add the new gApps to my copy of BB 0.4 so I can have the best of both worlds while we wait for 0.5.
  2. BloodiedWraith

BloodiedWraith New Member

I switched to Cyanogen Mod 6 RC3 as well two days ago. I had a lot of issues running it and, even though I liked some of the customizations and the updated apps, I switched back to Bugless Beast. No other ROM seems to run as well on my phone and I've tried plenty of ROMs.

And which Google Apps do you plan on installing? I've installed the updated Google Search, Voice, Chrome to Phone, and new GMAIL with a little extra work. Just go through a terminal emulator and rename the original system app you have and then download the updated version.
  3. lee__D

lee__D New Member

i've been on chevy's ss 4.5, 4.6 and now 4.7 until .5 comes out. Love it. smooth rom, great customizability options.
  4. ACalcutt

ACalcutt New Member

I am trying out sapphire right now. seems to be working well for me with the Chevy lv 1gz kernel (didn't try it to long on the default one but that seemed fine to).
  5. PearlMikeJam

PearlMikeJam New Member

I was trying to determine if I could just push the new APK for GMail into the system with Root Explorer or if I would have to swap out the APK in the ROM zip and then flash it over BB 0.4. Did you just rename the APKs in system/app?
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Sapphire seems pretty solid except I still have the redraw issue I've had on all roms. Seems a bit sluggish, too, but that could be the latest Sweeterhome update I'm running.

Haven't gotten around to trying Cyanagoen or Chevy's latest, but I had tried the last few and IMO BB was just better.
  7. BloodiedWraith

I grabbed the Gmail 2.2.1 APK from here: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

And then did this in terminal emulator:
    su
    cd /system/app
    sys -rw
    mv Gmail.apk Gmail.apk.old
    sys -ro

And then rebooted my phone and installed the new Gmail from ASTRO. You could probably do it through Root Explorer, but I never seem to like doing it the easy way.
  8. PearlMikeJam

PearlMikeJam New Member

Thanks!!! I will give this a try.

I have not looked at the download link, but does it have all the new Apps? If I am going to do one, I might as well just do them all.
  9. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Cyanogen will be a great ROM when the final official version is released. Until then you will have to expect some issues. It has some nice tweaks though. Other than that, I think that Sapphire and UltimateDroid are the top I have tried.

I very HIGHLY recommend you backup and try out the newest Ultimate Droid eXtreme version 7.0.0 (found at BlackDroidMod.com) - It is truly the most smooth and jam packed ROM I have seen to date. This guy puts everything into his work... Try it!
  10. crspang

crspang New Member

+1 on this. I've been running UD (V6) since it was released and flashed V7 this morning. The built in customization options are easy to use and the performance using chevy LV 1000 is great!
  11. kdmhongshi

kdmhongshi New Member

IIRC the most stable version is CM 5.0.8. I run mine and it runs smoother than BB ever did. Especially against the pesky redraws.
  12. rbbrock

rbbrock New Member

I had some issues with BB 0.4 so I tried Lithium but found that to be too unstable and am now on Sapphire 1.0 for about a week. So far it's been rock-solid on stability, and the launcher redraws, though still happening, are less frequent and don't take as long. I don't know what happened with the last couple of updates, but the redraws seem to be effecting every ROM I look at. It sure seems like it's something Google did seeing how widespread it is. Everything else is nice and snappy in Sapphire, though.
  13. Moondonkey

Moondonkey New Member

I switched from BB .04 to Cyanogen a while back, and it has been a great change for me.

CM6 RC3 runs super smooth with tons of options.
  14. droiddadi

droiddadi New Member

I am running CM6 RC3 and it runs great with stock kernel. Make sure your wipe before flashing ROM
  15. BloodiedWraith

That's just the new Gmail, everything else can be found in the market place. You can do all the changing of app names at the same time so as not to have to keep rebooting the phone after each change though. Just replace "Gmail.apk" with the other app names:

ChromeToPhone.apk
    GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    VoiceSearch.apk

Then after you do all four changes, change back to read only and reboot phone. Now you can install the three above mentioned apps from the market and install the new Gmail from the link I provided.
  16. lee__D

lee__D New Member

i agree, i read u pumping up UD tweice no so i figured what the heck. installed it over ss 4.7 without wiping cuz im badarse like that. it's great, customizability galore, frmo fonts to boot animations to status bar elements. seems quick and stable, i got chevy's lv 800mhz kernel. a tiny bit of redraw with my widgets, but nothing major (and again i didnt wipe so it may be even smoother if i had). does it have the bkapps, rstapps command like chevy's?
  17. bdr0023

bdr0023 New Member

I tried everything but CM and UD extreme has been the best for me. I was running bb .4 before that but the redraws just were really bothering me. UD with chevys ulv 1.25 has been excellent. Runs smooth as can be even @ 550, great battery life too. Runs cool even @ 1.25, scored a 1691 quadrant too.
  18. orizzle

orizzle New Member

UltimateDroid is awesome, I'm running that right now with the low-voltage 800MHz kernel and it runs circles around BB
  19. peterpressure

peterpressure New Member

Tried Chevy 4.6 and Cyanogenmod, but the default theme on Chevy with all the blueness kinda put me off (it ran fine) and Cyan CM6 RC1 just did not run so good.

Went back to my BB 0.4 and Evolution theme, the Evo theme just loooks awesome!
  20. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

I tried CM6 RC1 awhile ago. Got bored one day and decided to flash it. Was horribly, horribly slow. Reverted to my backup in no time.

Sapphire lasted a day for me, before I realized it was no Bugless Beast. I really liked the lock screen media controls, but that was about the only plus for that rom. Bugless Beast for life. :icon_ banana: