So I dropped my Droid into some water, and now...

mzmtg

Reaction score
...it won't boot correctly.

It will boot into recovery, but when I try to boot normally, it goes straight to the bootloader screen.

Any help is appreciated.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Take the battery out, open the slide, fill a bowl half with rice, put the phone in, fill the rest of the way and do not touch it for three days minimum. If your lucky it will recover.

Sent from my D1 on UD @ 1.2Ghz

cpjr

Reaction score
^That usually only works if no power is run through the device.....water doesnt damage anything, it is a conductor for the electical current which will short all sorts of stuff out. Being that it is already not booting....99% chance the board is damaged.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Not true, I've dropped phones in water and turned them on and they had issues. After drying them out in the sun, hairdryer, rice, whatever for a good period of time, my phones have restored back to regular condition.

cpjr

Reaction score
Ok well good luck with that. OP let us know how things turn out.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
...it won't boot correctly.

It will boot into recovery, but when I try to boot normally, it goes straight to the bootloader screen.

Any help is appreciated.
Pull the battery, slide the keyboard out, put it in a plastic bag with some desiccant. If you can't do that, rice will work, but be VERY careful with it as it can gunk up devices easily.

Let it sit for 48 hours before you do ANYTHING with it. If, after 48 hours, you still get the bootloader you can SBF it and see if that fixes anything. If not, you're hosed. If so, you're lucky.

Another method is to immerse the Droid in some >70% rubbing alcohol to drive out the water and then basically repeat the same above. Only problem with this method is if the immersion sticker hasn't already been tripped it WILL be tripped.

OP
mzmtg

mzmtg

Reaction score

The phone stopped responding completely yesterday.

I went to the Verizon store and just told them that my Droid died ;)

Since the phone was completely dead, the Verizon guy assumed the battery was the problem. He hooked it up to a charger and the bootloader screen came up. When he saw this, he said, "Looks like the software went out, we'll have to order you a new phone."

:icon_eek:

So a new Droid is on the way, no cost to me & no questions asked. I feel like I got away with murder.

dancedroid dancedroid dancedroid

telex9471

Reaction score

Since the phone was completely dead, the Verizon guy assumed the battery was the problem. He hooked it up to a charger and the bootloader screen came up. When he saw this, he said, "Looks like the software went out, we'll have to order you a new phone."

So a new Droid is on the way, no cost to me & no questions asked. I feel like I got away with murder.

You are beyond lucky that you must have got a very inexperienced Verizon tech. This happened to me with one of my other phones and on the battery and on the back of the phone there are 2 strips that change red when they get wet and they should have told you it's not covered. Also he must have not looked that close at the phone, either way your lucky. I would get the protection plan on this new phone if you can because you will not be that lucky again.

Congrats though :)

cpjr

Reaction score

Im going to assume the water mark wasnt damaged???

Cause it doesnt matter what the rep said, when you ship the phone back they will inspect it and if they see traces of the damage (which is very likely) you will be billed for the new phone at full retail price.

So, dont count your droids until they are hatched.

OP
mzmtg

mzmtg

Reaction score

Cause it doesnt matter what the rep said, when you ship the phone back they will inspect it and if they see traces of the damage (which is very likely) you will be billed for the new phone at full retail price.

Is the water mark that little white patch with the red Xs on it?

If so, mine wasn’t tripped by the dunk, it looks the same as the one on my wife’s undamaged Droid.

No one at the store said anything about sending the old phone back in. If I need to do that, will I have to send in my old battery and SD card? I was hoping to keep those.

cpjr

Reaction score

Is the water mark that little white patch with the red Xs on it?

If so, mine wasn’t tripped by the dunk, it looks the same as the one on my wife’s undamaged Droid.

No one at the store said anything about sending the old phone back in. If I need to do that, will I have to send in my old battery and SD card? I was hoping to keep those.

They dont let you keep the old phone. You keep your battery and sd card because the refurb phone they send you wont have one at all. But the old phone has to be mailed back to them.

BLACKlando

Reaction score
Consider yourself very lucky. Actually vzw techs don't even look at the indicators anymore. As long as there is no visible signs (water under the screen, corosion on the charger port) u will be fine.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
mzmtg

mzmtg

Reaction score
Consider yourself very lucky. Actually vzw techs don't even look at the indicators anymore. As long as there is no visible signs (water under the screen, corosion on the charger port) u will be fine.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Well, the indicators are untouched and the thing has dried out, so I should be good to go.