So I checked out the MAXX HD and the HD today.

Droidboy101

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm who has one, does it feel as solid as the droid 4? I know its not apples to apples, but just curious. My droid 4 I want to upgrade to a maxx HD, but like i said the store model I held felt like half the phone my droid 4 is in build quality.

Thanks!

I just upgraded from My Bionic last week to the Maxx Hd and I'm very Impressed with this Device. The battery life lives up to it and im on my phone all the time, only thing im not liking and Im sure ill get used to is the 3 keys at the bottom!! I had a Droid 4 for a month and really was diging that keybord but i thought the screen was to small :(.

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
To agree with both of you...sort of, yes the screens are identical, and they both sport Gorilla Glass, but there are likely different supplier locations for Gorilla Glass, made in different plants and so there can be differences in both transparency and reflective as well as refractive qualities. I know this for a fact since I've had 4 different OG Droids, 3 different Droid 2s, 5 Droid RAZRs and currently have a Droid RAZR MAXX, while my wife has had 2 different OG Droids and 2 different Droid RAZRs. There are considerable differences between 3 versions of the glass that I've found. Some have a thicker "profile" with a sharp beveled edge, some have a thinner profile with rounded edges, and in at least one phone I've had the glass was thin with a scalloped bevel on the edges.

The thicker glass resulted in what appeared to be a higher contrast ratio, darker darks and just an overall crisper view. The thinner glass in both "types" were much less "impacting" and seemed to almost blur the image slightly. I have a similar experience with a wood stove I have in my home, where the glass on one door broke a year ago. The remaining glass on the other door is still original and is clear and sharp as a tack. The view through it has absolutely no distortion. In the door where I replaced the glass, things look slightly out of focus through the glass on that side. Seeing them both side by side it's unmistakable.

Wonder if it is the Gorilla Glass 2?

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | INNOVATING WITH GORILLA

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/sites/all/files/GG2 PI Sheet Rev b_050912.pdf

[h=3]New Corning Gorilla Glass 2[/h] New Corning® Gorilla® Glass 2 is now up to 20 percent thinner, enabling slimmer devices, better touch responsiveness, and brighter images without sacrificing the damage resistance consumers demand. The result is superior design flexibility for electronics manufacturers as they develop high performing, touch sensitive, and durable mobile devices.

WestOkid

Reaction score
it is pentile. There is no sub 5 inch Super Amoled HD phone on the market that is RGB. Samsung produces all Super Amoled displays and it's not on their own flagship the GS3. The Galaxy Note 2 that has a special RGB matrix.
Please provide your source for your claim if you are going to contradict countless reviews.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

geoff5093

Reaction score
it is pentile. There is no sub 5 inch Super Amoled HD phone on the market that is RGB. Samsung produces all Super Amoled displays and it's not on their own flagship the GS3. The Galaxy Note 2 that has a special RGB matrix.
Please provide your source for your claim if you are going to contradict countless reviews.

I was looking at Note 2 reviews and forgot this was the MAXX HD forums, lol. You're correct, the MAXX HD is pentile, however the Note 2 is not.

WestOkid

Reaction score
lol. It's all good. I thought you were being a... ;-)

geoff5093

Reaction score
lol. It's all good. I thought you were being a... ;-)

I can see how it would come off that way, haha.

On a similar note, after using the MAXX HD side by side to my Thunderbolt, I realized just how off-color the display is when not on full brightness. The Thunderbolt on low is still pure white, however the MAXX HD seems to be a blue/greenish white. I really think I'm going to return this phone and wait for HTC's new flagship.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Unfortunately the SAMOLED displays in many cases either start even at full brightness with or as you turn down brightness, will show a greenish cast. It's a characteristic of the Green subpixels being easier to see by the human eye than either the red or blue subpixels, since our eyes are most sensitive to Green light with a wavelength of about 505[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]nm.

[/FONT]View attachment 57703[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]

Our eyes are somewhat less sensitive to Red, and are least sensitive to Blue.

[/FONT]View attachment 57702
[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]
Since the subpixels in the Pentile display are dominated by Green, the intention was to partner those Green pixels with both nearby Red and Blue pixels to increase perceived brightness of those other primary colors, and to create a simulated higher resolution with less total pixels. Unfortunately in the first and some later versions of Pentile the intensities of the subpixels and also the placement result in that Green cast.

[/FONT]