So how long before we see a rooted DROID?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by garrett, Nov 1, 2009.

1. frogzilla

frogzilla New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cyanogen is the probably the best ROM builder there is. the reason i say probably is due to the fact that other ROM builder may take exception to that statement.

i don't believe that Cyanogen had anything to do with rooting - that was done by someone else - Cyanogen just optimizes his builds with the latest an greatest technology that is available and tweaks the OS to run as fast as possible with a 528mhz processor. that could all be wrong...but i have been a CyanogenMod follower since it's inception.
  2. frogzilla

frogzilla New Member

Ratings:
    +0

finally someone that understands the benefits of root - while i'm @ work, on on my companies wifi - i can do anything that my desktop computer can do, but slower. still, it's worth it.
    open mapped drives, RDP into my desktop machine, open web apps, VPN into my companies network (for on-call duties)...possibilities are endless, and in my opinion this is the direction the Android platform needs to go.
  3. amsprich

amsprich New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly! I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it! SSH has been at the top my list of things I wanted most on a new phone and ConnectBot is pretty slick. I'd love to try get mplayer or vlc working. I've seen someone has a working version of ruby on rails ported to android, so I'd like to play around with that and the Metasploit Framework. And I go on and on... haha it sucks I can't play around with any of this till I've got root access.

I wonder if there's any linux targeted exploits in metasploit that you could use against the android OS. Don't know if anyones tried that yet.
  4. raphytaffy

raphytaffy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really didn't follow the news on the G1 as I wasn't too interested in switching over to T-Mobile, but was it not multi-touch out of the box? This is one feature that I'd really like on my Droid. The double-tap zoom is great, but it would be nice to be able to zoom in even closer on a page where links are close together.

If your stock G1 didn't have this capability and you were able to obtain it through rooting, then that's freaking awesome. Since Android 2.0 and the Droid's screen is capable of multi-touch, is it safe to assume that they can roll this out with a software update?
  5. cellulararrest

cellulararrest Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, however doubtful they will. I would look to alternate browsers for multi-touch gestures. I have no doubt they will be available soon. I think it has been hacked into the default browser, but it's not quite kosher since they're closed source apps.
  6. Silvana_Pineda

Silvana_Pineda New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a question about this... Will verizon provide service to a rooted phone. I have read about f-ing up phones when trying to unlock them.
  7. rotor george

rotor george New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sooooo......
    how long before we see a rooted DROID?
  8. jeremz

jeremz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me for venting...

,but I'm a bit bummed that Android phones NEED to be rooted in the first place. I realize I was really naive to think this, but I had kind of assumed that Android would be more Linuxy and just simply allow for super user privelages so you could do what ever you want with it. I understand that they don't want people crashing their phones all the time because they tried to change something without knowing what they are doing, but I sort of feel like I'm being treated like a child here. Why couldn't there simply be a root user in the first place? I just don't understand why this has to feel so covert. A Linux based phone should just have root access in my opinion. Thanks for listening... Droid!
  9. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Service - Yes.... Warranty - Depends....
  10. Xerozix

Xerozix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only reason I'm scared about rooting my phone is warranty.

This is a 600 dollar phone and I'm a 14 year old with no money. In other words, if I F my phone theres no way to get a new one. I do have insurance and I'm not sure how I'd pass for that
  11. Backnblack

Ratings:
    +5
    How did you pull that off? I provide phone for my 4 kids...Phones with Texting...No smartphone....
  12. Xerozix

Xerozix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is cruel to provide your kids with no texting. haha just kidding.

I managed to pull it off because I somehow convinced my dad that I'll be getting better grades this quarter. (from Bs to As)
  13. thrashtrash

thrashtrash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sooo are most of the people here

sooo are most of the people here kids who dont know anything about android or linux?? kids, just remember if you doubt your knowlede or abilities when it comes to us having root access, dont do it!!!!! do a lot of research before asking on the forums please! i realize this is a community but this thread is what? 9 pages? and half of it is people who dont know what root is or why they need it. i just want to know what the status of root access on the droid is. so please post your questions in the general discussion. no disrespect but i got over excited when i saw there had been 3 pages of growth on this tread and no useful info in all that babble.
    ive said my peace
  14. Backnblack

Ratings:
    +5
    My kids have texting.... Between the two still living at home 14,860 txt messages in september :icon_eek:. Me and the wife are lucky to use 500 combined....lol
  15. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's how forums work. If it irks you that much, you may want to search for another forum. Did you notice that you're the ONLY one to complain about this thread? That should be an indication that its you, not us, who is the problem.