So how long before we see a rooted DROID?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by garrett, Nov 1, 2009.

1. webby

webby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was an early adopter of the G1 (have had it one year now), and my phone is rooted with a Cyanogen mod on it. I really like the Android OS, and intend to stick with it.

I would like to upgrade to an Android phone with a faster processor and a physical keyboard, so I am very interested in the droid. In the process of my research I was very happy to stumble upon this forum. I will be watching carefully after the droid's release to see if it gets rooted, and more importantly, if there is a stable rom(s) available for it, such as Cyanogen, who as someone mentioned, is the recognized King of modders for the G1.

If the droid can be rooted, and if stable roms become available for it, then I will likely cancel my contract with T-Mobile and jump to Verizon to get the droid. If there is no rooting and/or stable roms available, I will not be interested in the least in the droid, and I will wait to see what advanced Android phone with a keyboard that T-Mo might come up with later. It is that important to me, for all the advantages others have mentioned in this thread, and for one more reason I didn't see -- Cyanogen's mods give you 5 home screens instead of the OEM 3 home screens, which I find just adequate for my most-used application icons, widgets, and so on that I keep on my home screens.

Fingers crossed for successful droid rooting and stable roms ...
  2. garrett

garrett Silver Member Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    my questions is do you really need that many screens.... i have a feeling ill just use 1 possibly 2 but i doubt it unless i use 1 just for widgets.
  3. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That is what I am anticipating doing as well.. I don't think there are enough apps that I use to fill up two screens, much less three.
  4. webby

webby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Once you get an Android phone, you might be surprised how many useful apps you find, and how many of those that you find you want on your home screens. That has been my experience at least.

As I said, the extra home screens is just one of many advantages of rooting. Others mentioned most of the other advantages earlier in this thread.
  5. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    5 would be the max I think I would ever need.
  6. nolsen311

nolsen311 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Once the phone is rooted, we should be able to sync Cyanogen's GitHub and build Cyanogen Rom for the Droid.

He's already stated (via Twitter) that once the source for 2.0 is released by Google, he'll be forking an experimental ROM built on 2.0.

(http://forum.xda-developers.com has a TON of info on Android hacking...too bad they aren't going to have a forum for the Moto Droid)
  7. garrett

garrett Silver Member Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +4

i guess you have a point.... i just like simple and clean..
  8. amsprich

amsprich New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait to get it rooted. Fans of linux should understand why this is important. It's going to be pretty close to a palm sized desktop computer for me.
  9. Stigy

Stigy Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It shouldn't take terribly long at all to get this bad boy rooted.

New devices are rooted all the time so just need a talented developer to come over and work their magic.
  10. rutger1413

rutger1413 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The sprint hero has been rooted

CDMA Hero Root status? - Page 21 - xda-developers

Its just a matter of time now. I believe the kernal versions are the same, so the hack should work for the Droid as well. I am not willing to test it on my device yet, soe hopefully someone else is willing.
  11. Quickster357

Quickster357 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well this phone has different hardware. I thought it was because of the new chip that developers had to be aware of and they need to find an exploit through it. Or maybe I'm just speaking out of my ass. Lol. :wacko:

Edit: nevermind. I see you're referring to the Eris and not the Moto Droid. My bad.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  12. webby

webby Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Once you have had a rooted Android phone, trust me, you won't want any other type of phone, and certainly not an un-rooted phone. So many advantages ...

I have had a rooted G1 for almost a year now (and have had multi-touch the whole time, though to me it's not really a big deal compared to the OEM system, which I also still have). I'm very impressed with the droid so far, and am really thinking about busting my T-Mobile contract to buy the droid, but will have to be able to root it, or it's a no go for me.
  13. rutger1413

rutger1413 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All of that has yet to be seen. Once a few good devs get in the mood to root it, it shouldn't be long.
  14. hharte

hharte New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As I write on my blog, the Droid presents a new challenge to rooting, because it uses completely different hardware (TI OMAP) than all previous Android phones (Qualcomm MSM7K) to date. This might present some opportunities though, as the OMAP is claimed to be "unbrickable" having several boot options including NAND FLASH, SD Card, and Serial UART. If it were possible to somehow change the phone from booting to NAND and instead have it boot from SD card, it might be possible to run U-Boot on it.

There are a few ways that can be considered in rooting the Droid:

1. Modify FLASH via the Bootloader - Probably the best, since it would be difficult to close this hole through updates. For this, you need access to the bootloader, see: MagicAndroidApps Android Blog

2. Find a security hole in the Linux kernel itself. This would be something like the Linux 2.x kernel sock_sendpage() local root exploit. This has been closed in recent Android Linux kernels. We would likely need the Droid Linux Kernel source for this, but at least /proc/kallsyms is present on the Droid, which at least allows us to know common entry points into the Kernel. For Droid, it seems /proc/ was stripped down to not even include the kernel configuration file: config.gz.

3. Find a configuration / permission mistake in the Android distribution. This would be unlikely, but at least in Android 1.0, this was what was used to initially gain root. Ie, the console was attached to the keyboard, allowig someone to type commands as root.

4. Through the update process.

Both (2) and (3) can be explored using the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) on your PC, or locally on the phone with a Terminal Emulator such as my app "Better Terminal Emulator Pro" which works well on Droid. http://magicandroidapps.com/wiki/

-Howard
  15. frogzilla

frogzilla New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how does one become a Super Moderator on a Droid forum and not know what root is?

not being a pr_ck, just wondering.