So how do you get the browser to stop refreshing?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by s-one, May 16, 2010.

1. s-one

s-one New Member

Every time I switch diff apps and head back to the browser the thing always refreshes on me. Any way to stop it?
  2. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

I can't get mine to duplicate that behavior. If I back out and use several other apps then come back, the browser doesn't refresh on me.

Is it all websites or specific ones?
  3. s-one

s-one New Member

hmmm... I notice on many websites it does this but I can say specifically all of them. Even when I search something on google.com, open a new link in a new window, go back to my original window with the search results and I get this dialogue box about sending info back to google.com yada yada... you know that message you get on doing a refresh. I click "ok" then I go back to the other browser window I open and that page refreshes.
  4. Vitticeps

Vitticeps New Member

I do get that message a lot when backing up to a google search results page. Not every time but often enough to be annoying. But I still haven't had a problem with the page reloading when I go back to the browser from another app. Odd.
  5. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Does it happen every time? It is to be expected sometimes because if you switch away from it the OS will sometimes kill the process. When you go back it needs to startup and reload.

Having a lot of stuff running in the background would cause this more often. An automated task killer could cause this.

Try uninstalling unnecessary stuff like automated task killers, antivirus, widgets, etc. and see if that helps.
  6. s-one

s-one New Member

Thank you all kindly for the responses. I'll take a look at the suggestions to hopefully remedy the problem but basically yea.. it does it pretty much all the time. In some cases a page will not reload one time... but will reload another.. so I'm not exactly sure what the behavior behind it is.. too many apps, not enough mem, time.. not sure. Thanks!
  7. Sing1gniS

Sing1gniS New Member

Same thing happens to me too. Wish there was a way to stop it, but I don't think there is.
  8. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

Can't remember this happening to me and I browse all the time. However I use Skyfire or Dolphin, sometimes xscope. My suggestion is to try another browser to see if continues. Everyone seems to like Dolphin HD.
  9. Jer

Jer New Member

I get the same thing using Dolphin and Dolphin HD so it exists on them as well. I don't notice it all the time so I don't know if it's just because I don't notice it all the time or that it's just occasionally. I'm thinking the latter but I'm still not sure what constants are present when it happens to replicate it. It's frustrating though if I'm entering text and go to another app to look at what I was typing/was going to type and when I return it refreshes the window for some reason. Text lost. Grrrrr.
  10. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

i had a similar problem with the stock browser, was kinda weird.

I recently switched to Dolphin Browser HD and i don't have that problem. I recommend Dolphin Browser HD, it is a faster browser, imo. I honestly saw no point in a 3rd party browser til now.
  11. aminaked

aminaked New Member

A friend of mine uses the G1. It has less memory and he experiences this type of thing a lot. That's why I think that when you switch away from the browser, the OS is killing that process. Furthermore, I think that freeing up resources would probably make this problem happen less as the browser could stay in memory. Just speculating, I don't know.

Oh, and don't use an automated task killer but if you do then maybe make it ignore your browser.
  12. jlnguyen

jlnguyen New Member

Same thing happens to me. Its kind of annoying but I doubt there's any way to change it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  13. s-one

s-one New Member

Ok so it isn't only me... I'll look into the other browser. Thanks.
  14. JoeKacz

JoeKacz New Member

Happens to me all the time and bugs the heck out of me. Glad to see I'm not alone.
  15. baniels

baniels New Member

I have had this issue for some time. On stock 2.01 and even on some 2.01 modded Roms I didn't have the issue. I can't remember when, exactly, but this started a while back - before the official 2.1 release.

When I notice it most is when I have multiple "windows" open in my browser and wait some time before viewing them.
  16. Xaneth

Xaneth New Member

I was having the same prob, so I used Titanium Backup to freeze one program at a time. In my case it was the app Audio Manager doing it.
  17. Xaneth

Xaneth New Member

Wait, I take it back, arrrgh...
  18. qwerta369

qwerta369 New Member

Exactly the same thing happening to me and it's driving me mad! I'm using an LG GT540 with android 1.6 and Dolphin. I use Task Manager but Dolphin is ignored.

Interestingly, if I terminate Task Manager the auto refreshing appears to stop.

So what is Task Manager "killing" that causes Dolphin to refresh when I switch back to it from another app or from the home screen? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
  19. lyam

lyam New Member

Happens to me all the time (Droid 1 2.2). A few months ago I spent some time looking into it and it is said to be related to how the phone manages memory. I don't understand why a refresh would be necessary, though. It may be possible to tweak a rooted phone using autokiller (not a task killer! a mem. mgt. tweaker) adjusted to conservative settings. I haven't tested this out, though (I like aggressive memory mgt. Improves the snappiness).

Also, another thing that really bugs me about the browser is how a refresh (or backing up a page) loses your place on the page. This combined with the occasional refresh issue above is a real hassle. Especially using google reader.
  20. mjkmail

mjkmail New Member

Try this to stop refreshing apps.

Try this:
    1. Go into 'Settings'
    2. Then into 'Developer options'
    3. Then scroll to the last three under 'APPS' and make sure 'Don't keep activities' is unchecked.
Search tags for this page

android browser auto refresh

android browser stop auto refresh
disable auto refresh android browser
dolphin auto refresh
dolphin browser keeps reloading page
how to stop android browser from reloading
how to stop browser from refreshing

stop android browser from refreshing

stop android browser refreshing

stop auto refresh android
stop auto refresh dolphin