So how are the radios.. GPS, data, reception , etc?

tc1

Reaction score
How strong are the radios in the s4, especially then reception?

Hopefully they are at least a little bit stronger, I'm in a 55 year old building with lots of cinder block walls.

While not terrible I do tend to lose data connection occasionally with the s3.

I did not lose it with the droid razor though so it's not entirely the building.

What's the verdict?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BLeClair12

Reaction score
I've had a solid 3-4 bars where I normally expect them since receiving the phone. Strong 4G signal in all the places I expect. I've seen it drop into 3G a couple of times, but that wasn't totally uncommon on my Bionic either. I wouldn't consider it alarming unless it starts happening frequently.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good question. I had such poor reception with the S3 that I took it back. Moto has always had the corner on the best radios, but I hope Sammy can match them with this one. Let us know.

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
My S3 was so bad my boss made me get a new phone /sniffle...so far the S4 is much better. No dropped calls yet and in my office that is a marked improvement!

jseah

Reaction score
Good question. I had such poor reception with the S3 that I took it back. Moto has always had the corner on the best radios, but I hope Sammy can match them with this one. Let us know.

The funny thing is everyone touts how Motorola has the best radios, but from my experience, the Motorola Bionic and Razr Maxx has the worst radios (as far as data connections go), even compared to the Thunderbolt, Rezound, S3 and Note 2.

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
The funny thing is everyone touts how Motorola has the best radios, but from my experience, the Motorola Bionic and Razr Maxx has the worst radios (as far as data connections go), even compared to the Thunderbolt, Rezound, S3 and Note 2.

Never heard that. Both my Razr Maxx and Razr HD had better reception (data and talk) than my galaxy s3, htc incredible 2 and og incredible. Im hoping the s4 will be better. I work in a bad signal area and my Motorola phones would never drop a call but the s3 drops constantly. Night and day difference.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Connection is great for me. Radios seem much stronger than the ones on the Galaxy Nexus. My 4G speeds is much faster too.

jcoppola33

Reaction score
Those issues were fixed with an update, so the radios may have been fine

OP
T

tc1

Reaction score

I love the the hell out of my s3, but it doesn't compare to the reception of any Motorola phone I've ever had.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
How strong are the radios in the s4, especially the reception?

I had those same concerns moving from the Bionic, however, reception for me has been every bit as good as it was with my Motorola devices whether Bionic, Droid X, or OG Droid. Even in a couple of areas at work where i would either drop to 3g or lose reception altogether, the S4 just drops to 3g and keeps on cookin'.

I'm finding that I like this device more and more with each passing day.

biggdave92

Reaction score
no issues yet with reception. bluetooth seems stronger for some reason. i play music via bluetooth at my house and it doesnt break up as bad as my maxx did.

OP
T

tc1

Reaction score
Picked up a s4..not terrible reception probably a a little better than my s3. But still not as strong as a Motorola phone.