So happy when i got the email !

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bobmundo123, Jan 6, 2010.

1. bobmundo123

bobmundo123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "bobmundo123,

It's been a wild ride the past couple of weeks with news of the Nexus One, Android 2.1 and the Droid. We've got some good news and some even better news for the Droid nation out there.

First of all, we've always supported choice in the market... choice promotes innovation, competition and of course competitive pricing, so it's always a good thing for consumers. Google has just made sure that there will be plenty of that with new-edge, high tech cell phones.

The Nexus One has been announced and it currently is available for sale both unlocked and unsubsidized or via contract on T-Mobile. However, more importantly for us it's also available on the Verizon network starting in Spring of 2010.

The Droid of course is a great phone and has great hardware and some features that the Nexus One does not... and that's when we were excited to hear from the Google team that Android 2.1 should be "open sourced" and available for use on handsets that support it (this includes the Droid) within the next couple of days. Expect to see all the goodness of 2.1 on your Droid very soon, including Live Wallpapers and the recently announced Google Earth for Android which will be available from the App store very soon."

I've been going nuts over 2.1. I was contemplating putting 2.1 on myself, but there were a lot of people talking about the bugs with it such as the lack of a backlite keyboard, etc. but now hopefully all tat will be fixed with the official release. And now that im learning that the nexus one is to be released for verizon kind of makes me upset about getting the droid? idk what to think. I mean the droid in my opinion looks much better and has the querty and i like the material its made out of. The solid Black collor is also a great plus. Why exactly is there so much hype about this nexus one? what makes it so special. Because all i'm really getting is because of the 2.1 software. I mean is that it. I also know that it's also going to be available for ever service provider as well, but why all the crazy commotion?:icon_eek: Will it be that much faster thant the droid?

Also, with the official release of 2.1 coming out, will it be able to get rooted? is there already a way to do that? and if i have my phone currently rooted, with custom boot, and the apks for the gallery, clock, and the launcer. Will i be notified of the update on the phone the same way i was notified on the phone about the 2.0.1 updat? or will i ave to download the update.zip upon release to get the update?

how does the horizon look for 2.1 on the droid? does it hold a bright future? more capabilities, or roughly the same a mount of potential as 2.0
  2. rebornlaxer

rebornlaxer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you on the Nexus One. Why would you not want the Droid. It has everything the N1 has except for the track ball, but it comes with a full qwerty keyboard and now that the droid is geting 2.1 I really dont get y someone would want the n1 over the droid.
  3. mammlouk

mammlouk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What's so special about Nexus One??!!! Seriously??!! For starter it's the first phone that is actually being produced with Google as the backer. Follow that up with a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor compared to the 550mhz Cortex A8 in the Droid and an AMOLED screen.
  4. Big Cam

Big Cam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The screen is the only advantage in my eyes.
  5. bobmundo123

bobmundo123 Member

Ratings:
    +0

oh.. thats fast... hah... whats AMOLED? and as far as processing power i mean what will that do for me? it's not like it'll turn a 3G connection faster. So i mean not like the internet will run faster. I mean the Droid is pretty fast as is. And I heard its even a bit faster with the 2.1 software.
  6. mammlouk

mammlouk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well theoretically you won't have any slowdown from just having a few too many apps running, builtin 720p decoding, It's probably as close to future proof as you can as far as processor headroom for a current generation smart phone. For standard tasks it should run at a lower clock speed which so what might be full titl for the droid causing it to heat up a bit should be nice and cool on the N1.

I may sound like a fanboy, but I'm not really. I won't be getting one until my Droid falls apart so hopefully not for a long long time, and by then we should be on the N5 ;)

I'm just really excited to see the snapdragon platform start showing up in real platforms. Hopefully they will eventually market a pico ITX board or something for consumers. If they provide the drivers it would make an awesome micro/portable HTPC!
  7. Brian7

Brian7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    don't forget, google didn't say they would be pushing an update to 2.1, they said that the source would be made available. that means someone has to port it to the droid, this will happen fairly quickly because we have a bunch of really smart people in the community, but it won't be an official verizon update, I can guarantee that. verizon is historically slow to update even when the source is available, it seems they don't have a whole lot of confidence in their engineers abilities to port:icon_eek:
  8. frankieg22x

frankieg22x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i wish we could keep all these threads together
  9. bobmundo123

bobmundo123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ohh... ok.. so open source.. thats different then i suppose.. haha. either way.. as soon as a good one comes most. most def
  10. Newton122189

Newton122189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt be so sure about that screen, this is what engadget had to say as a negative against it

"While the resolution is high (480 x 800), it's missing 54 pixels that we expected given the size of the Droid's screen. It didn't bother us that much, but it's noticeable in certain apps -- Gmail for instance, where you have to scroll further in some menus than you do on the Droid. The big issue with the screen, though, is actually the color balance. We found colors on the Nexus One, particularly in the reds and oranges, to be severely blown-out and oversaturated -- a common effect with AMOLED displays like the Nexus One's. At first we thought Google had tweaked some of the Market settings because the highlight orange was so bright, but comparing images on the web across different displays, the Nexus One consistently looked brighter then it should have. Oh, and using this thing in daylight? Forget about it. Like most screens of this type, the Nexus One is a nightmare to see with any kind of bright light around, and snapping photos with it on a sunny day was like taking shots with your eyes closed."

entire review from engadget
    Nexus One review -- Engadget
  11. gentlefury

gentlefury Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well even if it isn't pushed it will be made available to legally and legitimately (meaning no warranty snubbing) download and install on your droid. I can't wait! I haven't put it on mine because I want a version that is approved and clean and works :)

So will it be a good idea to go ahead and uninstall the 2.1 apps on 2.0.1 before updating the OS?

Oh and no paid OS updates on the google phone! Take that iPhone!
  12. Brian7

Brian7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes....it's different...just because someone throws you the keys to the car doesn't mean there's gas in it...we will have to wait for it to be ported to the droid and verizon probably won't be faster than the dev community at doing this, what we come up with will no doubt be way better than theirs anyway, because we won't be answering to corporate ceos and such.
  13. bobmundo123

bobmundo123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yay.. haha.. how long you think till someone ports it for the :motdroidvert: ?
  14. Brian7

Brian7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would hold off on doing anything for a short while, like I said when the source is released, I know of a couple of people that will make short work of getting a good solid fast 2.1 out.....one of them won't be verizon for sure
  15. Brian7

Brian7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    one, maybe two days and you will see some amazing things....just watch the existing 2.1 ports...they have a head start and once they get the source, all of the little bugs will get squashed quickly