So happy I took my time and did everything manually...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jbg25, Feb 17, 2010.

1. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

So, after waffling like a b***h on whether I should try to root and install a ROM ever again after the fiasco last time....I finally did it.

However, instead of relying on a root helper or ROM installer/updatger this time I did it manually. Why???

Because the first time I tried installing recovery and a ROM, I was referred to a very early version of droid root helper...that I felt installed a buggy 2.1 ROM. And when I tried to install another ROM I ran into nothing but problems. Then I tried to update the recovery image....and nearly s**t a brick...literally. Fortunately, I was eventually able resolve my problems...and when I had a "new phone" again...I swore off doing this ever again.

I continued to read tutorials and testimonials about rooting and installing this or that. And continued to see a trend. I would say nearly 75% of the problems were from people who used some sort of installer or program to do the heavy lifting (not really that heavy), and since they did not do the research and take the steps in ADB or Terminal...they usually had no idea what was wrong and had tons of trouble getting help. (Awefully familiar to my experience)

In my readings, I figured out exactly what step I screwed up on that had prevented me from fixing my problems myself (as well as why I could not update to a 2.0.1 ROM over a 2.1 ROM). More importantly, I learned what caused my problems in the first place. I would never blame this type of thing directly on the dev...instead I blame it on the lack of knowledge of the process when a n00b is referred to this type of very useful tool without any background research or knowledge.

In my case, I never learned the importance of making a COMPLETE nandroid backup including recovery....and so when I just pressed the buttons in the order insructed in the quick guide I found...I quickly had my new ROM...but had not prepared properly...and had no idea how to undo my snafu.

This time, I did everything via ADB and SHELL. Using copy and paste from Matth3w's Buggless Beast tutorial...I rooted, installed recover and flash image and had my phone ready for a ROM in maybe 10 mins? No errors...no crashes....no reboot issues...no problems.

Took another couple dys to take the plunge on installing a ROM. I was worried about stability...but then I read all the rave reviews on Smoked Glass...and said...f'it...if I dont like it I have a full backup. Installed the ROM system and boot...and in less than 5 mins the ROM was installed. I rebooted and walked away to go put my 11 month old baby to bed (and so I would not sit and stare at the long initial reboot that freaks everyone out). Came back down and violla...NEW PHONE!!!

I installed SetCPU...and am running smooth as glass (no pun intended) at 800 Mhz!

Thanks to everyone who took their time to put the complete instructions with most common mistakes in notes. REALLY helped. Especially Matth3w...BigLou....and AdamZ.

BTW...Matth3w I am with you on your crusade to not just refer people to a helper or installer without making sure they have fully had the opportunity to research and learn the options and risks. :soapbox:
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Well, I'm glad it went well for you and you were able to understand everything and get it done correctly. That's not going to happen for everyone and the point of the forum is we are all here to help each other. Research in advance is absolutely the right thing to do but if anyone needs help they can simply ask.
  3. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yep..I agree with both of you

It is very GOOD and advised to educate yourself a little before you try these things...cause you can really damage this thing if you don't!
  4. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

I rooted manually the first time I did it as there wasn't an app for that at the time. When I thought 2.1 was coming last week I unrooted and waited. Got impatient then just used SMUpdater. I am all for learning the long way first then use the shortcuts. I know now if I need to I can get myself out of trouble, at least a little.
    So I definately am proud you decided to buckle down and learn the steps. I wish more would as like many I get frustrated seeing the same questions asked over and over.
  5. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

give yourself a cookie!
  6. cj1896

cj1896 New Member

This is the way I went too. I rooted my phone 3 days ago after reading about it for over a month. It seemed to me like a terrible idea to root the phone and risk screwing it up without any idea what the hell was actually taking place inside the phone OS itself. Like jgb25 said now if something happens to my phone, I know how to boot into recover and restore it to a previous point.

Personally, I don't think that the SMupdater should be available to the general droid user at large on the market at all. They should have to at least go to the Sholes website and read up before they download it. Think of how many people have rooted without even knowing how to install .apk's.

It really isn't too difficult a process anyway, it just takes time an effort to educate yourself prior to rooting. Unfortunately we live in a "now" culture and people don't take the time to do their due diligence prior to modifying their phone.
  7. hookbill

ROFLMAO. This is POTD and it's early yet.:hail:
  8. jstafford1

I agree. Theree are a great many people that don't bother to read up and educate themselves on what it is they are doing. I read these hack sections for over a month before I rooted, and didn't take the plunge until overclocking was achieved.
  9. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

I'm happy all went well for you and you feel more educated and comfortable with your hacked Droid :D

Regarding your last paragraph i'm a bit confused. According to the problems you described during previous attempt at hacking....i'm assuming you didn't use the sholesmod app in the market.

The sholesmod does ALL the nandroid backup and rooting FOR you. Have you ever tried that one? I mean how can you be in a crusade against newbies using the sholesmod app, if you've never used it? I was scared to death to do anything (except simple apk files) to my phone until that app came out. It gave me the courage i needed to attempt something i otherwise would have never attempted. To me...the sholesmod is just like any other app in the market. If there’s bugs….the dev will update with a fix.
    That being said, I will continue to encourage people to try sholesmod and help them with any problems they are unlikely to have. :D
  10. hookbill

I understand the need to have basic knowledge of what's going on, but I to also used Sholesmod for the same reason CorinaCakes did. I'm not stupid, but to me that techno stuff was turning into mumble jumbo. I liked the idea of having an app that not only does it for me, it allows me to remove the root with ease.

Nothing against anybody doing it the long way, if you want the experience and you understand everything being said then fine. But using sholesmod is just another alternative, an easier one. I've rooted, removed the root, and rooted again all with sholesmod. I recommend it as well.
  11. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

No No No....

@Corinacakes, You Misunderstand!

I am not against Sholes Updater at all. And in fact I think it and others like it CAN BE GREAT TOOLS! My issue is with people deciding they want to root...installing a program and just going with out research.

My problems did not come from Sholes....I used DroidRootHelper V4.0 (when it was just released). Again...I do not blame my problems on the updaters themselves...but the fact that it allows you to skip many steps in the learning process...and until one of the recent updates to sholes updater...there was very little assistance in getting back to stock.

So once you had a problem (again prior to sholes updater)...you had to do the work in reverting...and if you did not do the work to to get there....you chances of borfing something go WAY UP!

All I am saying is n00bs should not just be told to go download the updater in their first post asking how to root (which I see over and over and over again).

Even with the newest update of the Sholes Updater making backups and having the restore to OEM process...I see what??? dozens of posts blaming the updater for screwing up a phone.
  12. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah but think of all the Droid users that don't get on forums...that don't even know these places exist.....

They're on the Market and just happen to stumble upon the SholesMod Updater...and say "Hey! That looks pretty neat!"....

I'm just saying that we don't know how that turns out for those people...ya know? Whether the outcome was good or bad, no one knows....
  13. cj1896

cj1896 New Member

This was what I was thinking of in my post. Right now sholesmod is the top paid app. And so it is one of the first things in the market a new droid owner would see. Hell, I had no idea what rooting was until I started reading the forums.
  14. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Oh man lol I had no idea it was the top paid app until you said that! I just went to All Apps and in the paid section there it was! First app in the list...that's funny...

But what I don't understand is, if this stuff is illegal and voids warranties and all that good stuff, how does Google get away with allowing it in there Market?? For EVERYONE to see and use?? How does that happen?
  15. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Congratulations!

I'm almost ready to root and OC, but not yet. Time is lacking for me to take to do it. I'm also awaiting 2.1 first and the subsequent rooting of that release specifically for the Droid.
  16. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Good! I wish more people would do it this way. Learning the whole process is a good thing anyway.

It feels seamless when you do it manually, but some of that comes from the fact that small glitches are easy to see and fix without even really thinking about it. Scripted "root helpers" are prone to problems since they have to have the entire process scripted exactly.
  17. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

haaaaaa I'm glad someone got the humor in it... lol
  18. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

jbg25....

I'm sure you can attest that troubleshooting is FAR LESS stressful when you have a good understanding of what you're actually doing with rooting, flashing, recovery, etc :)
  19. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Exactly!!!
  20. jstafford1

Natediddy1120....I'm pretty sure there's nothing illegal about rooting. And I would assume google allows it on the market because why should they stop you from possibly messing up your phone? Its not on them if you brick it, its all you. Plus like many have noted there are no confirmed reports of a truly bricked droid, so maybe the thoughts are play away, it can always be fixed.