So glad to be here!

Wannabe Jedi

Reaction score
Greetings! I am a droid virgin, and I've lurked this forum for the last month in anticipation of getting a new smartphone. The outstanding community I have found here has convinced me that I want two things: 1. a new Droid X to root, mod and love; and 2. to listen, learn and participate in this group. I really am glad to be here, and I look forward to learning from all you, and eventually, to help other noobs enjoy this awesome technology and fellowship.

May as well pose my first question (I have searched, but haven't found specific reference to this)--My girlfriend and I are getting a pair of Droid X's this weekend. I will immediately root mine, as I feel confident I can follow the good guides posted in this forum. However, I am not as confident when it comes to HER phone. What I would like to do is root her phone, install wifi tether and then unroot. Is that even possible? I know it takes superuser to install wifi tether, but must I retain superuser to use it once installed? The main reason to give up root is that she is not technically savvy, and I am kinda afraid of leaving her with root access. Any thoughts?

Sorry I didn't wait to post this in a more appropriate place (I probably will cut n paste it somewhere else--or would that be spamming?). Anyway, peace for now, friends and Jedi masters.:)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Good to have you with us. You and your girl friend are going to have a lot of fun with your phones.

I believe that if you unroot her phone the wireless tether will not work.

Enjoy your time on the Forum.
Mike