So does the Droid lack power compared to the iPhone?

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by TheHawkWhoLived, Jan 24, 2010.

1. TheHawkWhoLived

TheHawkWhoLived New Member

Browsing through the app store, I noticed all the games were pretty much non 3D and looked like the games I could have got through Verizon on my Chocolate 2 years ago. While the iPhone on the other hand has games with at least n64/PS1 graphics. Not trying to bash the droid, just curious if its cause there are no 3D developers for the droid yet or because the phone can't handle it.
  2. DROIDMASTER

DROIDMASTER New Member

It took iphone 3, 4 years to get where it is now. When iphone os was as old as android it was about the same. But yea cool apps for iphone should come to droid as most non 3d apps. Its a matter of developers droid can do what iphone does.
    DROID DOES
  3. TheHawkWhoLived

TheHawkWhoLived New Member

My concern is, the iPhone has been updated software wise for those 3-4 years. Software wise, the original iPhone looks pretty much like the 3GS. Granted there has been some hardware changes that have made newer versions faster, but the original iPhone can use all the apps(except those limited by hardware) the new one can.

I want to know if the Droid will be like that too or what? Will I still have a use for the Droid in 1-2 years or will it be so far behind the times? I don't want a new Android OS to require a new processor etc...
  4. Technoman

Technoman New Member

If you don't want the open pc like architecture that Android provides versus the closed controlled Apple crap that Steve Jobs has, then the Droid or any of it's cousins using the Android OS may not be for you. As the prior post stated, Android is in it's infancy as compared to the Apple phone, and I feel moving very fast. The resolution that the screen on the Moto Droid has is better than what the iPhone is capable of.

Not sure why anyone would want to spend hours playing games on such a small screen to begin with. It stresses your eyes, which in the long term damages the muscles in your eyes.
  5. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Droid is only 3 months old.It will take time but it is as powerful as the Iphone is
  6. kailapis

kailapis New Member

As for hardware, the Droid is just as capable as the iPhone if not more. The problem is the software.

The iPhone has the attention of professional game developers and companies, some even with serious (for a mobile phone game) budgets. There's many third-party 3D game engines and other such libraries that make 3D game development easier for the iPhone.

The Android platform just isn't mainstream enough to get such attention... yet. Android phones capable of more than basic polygons came out just last year. 3D gaming will come. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
  7. cb2000a

cb2000a New Member

They are in the works. You have to realize the Droid has only been out about 3 months and until the Droid came out most good game devs (like Gameloft) did not see any market for their games. Now with 1+ million Droids sold and more all the time you will see some really nice games in a few months.
  8. mttj

mttj New Member

9. meepstone

meepstone New Member

How the hell did you find this thread? Much less bump it...
  10. cpjr

cpjr New Member

EDIT: ^WOW, I went to respond to another post here and noticed its a year old....lol.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  11. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

The Apple App Store launched on July 11th, 2008. The SDK was made public on March 6th, 2008. The Android SDK and the HTC Dream launched just a few months later. So it is not really true that Android is in its infancy compared to iOS. Sure, iOS has been around longer; but we're talking 3rd party development here. Looking at it from that standpoint, iOS only has a 6 month or so lead.

The true reason we are just beginning to see higher-end games on Android is due to lack of developer interest and Android market limitations. Up until very recently, the maximum APK size for the market was 25MB. Plus, the ability to install apps to the SD card has only (officially) been around for a few months now. I have also read interviews with devs who say Android is harder to develop for due to deficiencies in the debugger for the NDK. Also, Apple has been active in pushing the iPhone/iPod Touch as a mobile gaming device; which helped gain developer support. There are some pretty decent 3D games out for Android as of right now; but a majority of them are made by Gameloft and are only available thru their site, as opposed to being in the market.

In the end, it's not that the Droid lacks power, it's simply that the iPhone is easier to develop for, and has more active devs working on it. It also doesn't help that the Android devices themselves are becoming more and more fragmented. Ideally, devs don't like to spend time writing software and then end up only having it be compatible with a fraction of the devices out there. One problem is GPU differences, as it stands right now; a dev has to create seperate textures for devices with PowerVR, AMD, and nVidia GPUs. All of this means extra time and effort, while the iOS devices are ALL based on PowerVR GPUs.