1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

So do we just need root for wifi tether now?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by evilgreg, Feb 16, 2010.

1. evilgreg

evilgreg New Member

2. rstone

rstone New Member

Nope, most the custom kernals you see out there have already implemented the kernels and drivers needed to run the wifi tether app. The wifi app needs the tiwlan_drv.ko f driver and the boot-wifi.img kernal, to run.

If you want to run wifi, check out this thread.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...d-wifi-tether-wireless-tether-root-users.html
  3. Shmooze

Shmooze New Member

As far as I'm aware, you do on fact need to do install a new kernal amongst other things. I'm not entirely knowledgeable but there are guides to walk you through. Search the forums. If I can ne one can 4 reals
  4. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

all the main roms have the needed kernels, so i would personally just flash a new rom
  5. mcinvaille

mcinvaille New Member

Before and after rooting I still use PDANet for USB tethering. Supposedly it works with BlueTooth as well but I haven't tried it.
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

In short, No.

The android-wifi-tether app requires some kernel features that are missing from the stock Droid kernel. At the very least, you would need to flash a new kernel to get wifi tether. (installing a rom would also include a kernel that will enable the features needed for wifi tether)
Search tags for this page

do you need to root galaxy s4 to tether