So Close, Yet So Far...

zunebuggy

Reaction score
I have a Droid Bionic and Verizon Wireless. I got the ICS update and like many, it really messed up my phone. I was told by a co-worker that I could root my Bionic and install Jelly Bean.

I did the first step and rooted it using the instructions here: droidbionicroot.com/ . I used the first example "How to Root ICS on Droid Bionic and Motorola Android!" and it seemed to go well. I ran the bat file and it rebooted the phone 3 times and said it was successful. It did have one error as it processed the 2nd reboot, but it seemed to go past it and gave me the Congratulations! message.

I do not see a difference but I did go to System settings > About phone and although I did not write down my previous version, I do know it is now different. It is now: System version 6.7.246.XT875 Verizon.en.US, Android version: 4.0.4, Build number 6.7.2.-223_DBN_M4-23 (please let me know if you need anything else).

For Jelly Bean I downloaded the files: cm-10-20120824-UNOFFICIAL-sholes.zip (Jelly Bean) and gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip (Google apps). I put them on my SD card. I did the Restore Boot and chose the firmware from SD card option.

All was running well until it said: "signature verification failed." "Aborted."

My phone is not bricked. It seems to still be using ICS like prior to all this.

How can I root my phone and get Jelly Bean on it?

Thank you.

Reaction score
zunebuggy said:
I have a Droid Bionic and Verizon Wireless. I got the ICS update and like many, it really messed up my phone. I was told by a co-worker that I could root my Bionic and install Jelly Bean.

I did the first step and rooted it using the instructions here: droidbionicroot.com/ . I used the first example "How to Root ICS on Droid Bionic and Motorola Android!" and it seemed to go well. I ran the bat file and it rebooted the phone 3 times and said it was successful. It did have one error as it processed the 2nd reboot, but it seemed to go past it and gave me the Congratulations! message.

I do not see a difference but I did go to System settings > About phone and although I did not write down my previous version, I do know it is now different. It is now: System version 6.7.246.XT875 Verizon.en.US, Android version: 4.0.4, Build number 6.7.2.-223_DBN_M4-23 (please let me know if you need anything else).

For Jelly Bean I downloaded the files: cm-10-20120824-UNOFFICIAL-sholes.zip (Jelly Bean) and gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip (Google apps). I put them on my SD card. I did the Restore Boot and chose the firmware from SD card option.

All was running well until it said: "signature verification failed." "Aborted."

My phone is not bricked. It seems to still be using ICS like prior to all this.

How can I root my phone and get Jelly Bean on it?

Thank you.

Did u install safestrap or some form of custom recovery? And jus to let u know.. Jelly bean is still in beta and has some issues..

OP
Z

zunebuggy

Reaction score
No I didn't. Do I have to do that before? Are the issues worse than ICS? Phone freezing all the time, apps won't open, apps can only be installed on internal memory, phone reboots while in Facebook or texting, incoming calls don't ring, vibrate or anything (checked all settings), notifications not working, camera is really buggy and takes almost a minute to open. I have been writing them down as they occur. I would take almost anything over this ICS. It's not good.

OP
Z

zunebuggy

Reaction score
If Jelly Bean isn't what I want, can I go back to whatever it was before ICS?

Thanks.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
No I didn't. Do I have to do that before? Are the issues worse than ICS? Phone freezing all the time, apps won't open, apps can only be installed on internal memory, phone reboots while in Facebook or texting, incoming calls don't ring, vibrate or anything (checked all settings), notifications not working, camera is really buggy and takes almost a minute to open. I have been writing them down as they occur. I would take almost anything over this ICS. It's not good.

Boot into recovery & clear the system cache.
What you are describing with ICS happened to a lot of people when they took the OTA update for ICS.
The other thing you can do is a factory reset under setting, privacy but that puts everything as if it came out of the box & you have to completely re-set up the phone.
The clearing of the system cache will leave apps/settings intact & will probably clear up your issues.

OP
Z

zunebuggy

Reaction score
My wife and I both did factory resets. In our case it didn't help us. We bought our phones at the same time and they updated with ICS within a day from each other. ICS has made them so worthless. We are thinking of getting Samsungs and getting rid of Verizon too. At least the wireless but probably FIOS and land line also. Verizon dragged their feet too long with the ICS and then when it came out (while everyone else was getting jelly bean) it was an inferior product. Now they claim they will be getting jelly bean but how long for that? All I want is a hassle free phone that does what it is supposed to. The last 3 phones we've had from verizon have been so disappointing and we feel we researched each one. I don't feel we are hard to please either. We just expect it to work and perform all functions quickly and not reboot for no reason, etc... The only complain about the BlackBerry Storm (our last phone) was typing on it was not easy so texting was tough. Gingerbread was OK. With ICS, the Swype is a little different and it makes a lot more mistakes now. It also hangs while Swyping which causes it to mess up. For as much as we are paying verizon every month I should have no hassle with my phone.