SO brand new, I can't even describe...

MovieMan

Reaction score
Trying to get ahead of the learning curve for smart phones. New Droid X to arrive around the 20th and I want to be ready.

A few questions:

1. Do you recommend playing around with it for a certain amount of time before beginning to make alterations, or should I just jump right in?

2. At the point where I'm ready to make changes, is there a specific backup plan in case something goes wrong? I keep reading about how you can completely restore to "right out of box" status, but not quite sure how to do that. I see that some auto-backup every time you install an app. Where does it backup to?

3. Backups: Of the backups available, which is the easiest and most solid for a noob?

Thanks to all that have contributed to the tens of hours of material I've been reading and watching. Makes it easier for us "less tech savvy" folks to get our feet wet.

-RH

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
First, Welcome to the Forum...as far as the backups you are referring to, I don't have a DX so I might not be as much help as some of the other members, I do though highly suggest getting a good feel for your device before making any alterations or rooting it

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ok heres what id suggest. maybe not so much playing around with the DX but looking around here a bit more to understand what you are about to do. (assuming messing with framework?)

best backup plan... well there really isnt one. if you root, you can use titanium backup or mybackup pro or even make backups in clockwork, but if you do eff something up, youll need the SBF (over at rootzwiki) to get teh phone back on. (SBF will be right out of the box)

because the custom recovery is NOT like the original droids, it is not a full recovery, you need the SBF in case something does go wrong.

I like titanium backup because if you get teh full version you can do batch backup/restores along with all the app settings.

OP
M

MovieMan

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I'm just trying to get comfortable here.

I appreciate the welcomes by everybody!

-RH

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no problem. let us know if you have any questions :)

OP
M

MovieMan

Reaction score
question about questions

So if I switch gears and the question topic is new, should I start a new thread?

Just curious.

Thanks.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if I switch gears and the question topic is new, should I start a new thread?
Your best bet is to search the forum first, chances are your question has been asked and answered multiple times already, I find the best way to search is to type your question into google and add the words "Droid Forum" if the search yeilds no results then start a new thread in the appropriate section...you will get the hang of it the more you frequent the forum

luv2increase

Reaction score
Welcome to the Android Smartphone world! I will warn you right off the bat; if you plan on getting into customizing your phone, rooting and all that other good stuff, it may turn into an addiction :)

I recommend reading everything you can on these forums on your free time before your Droid X arrives. Then, I think it would be a great idea to mess around with the phone for a couple days before rooting or anything. After a couple days and if you feel comfortable, I'd go experimenting and having fun by first rooting and then theming.

Remember, we have the SBF at our disposal now so it really is just about impossible to mess up your phone unless of course something happened to it physically.

Welcome and have fun!

michael123

Reaction score
i also upgraded to the x, coming from the droid.

1 ? - i want a leather pouch that hangs on my belt for easy grabbing and answering, what are my options for the X? i currently have the droids leather pouch offered by vzn, which has velcroe to fasten the flap.