So...BB 0.6 is still based on Froyo?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by MS3FGX, Dec 12, 2010.

1. MS3FGX

MS3FGX New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen this answered for sure on Pete's site or Twitter account, but everything he keeps saying about theming BB 0.6 to look like Gingerbread logically points to it still being based on Froyo.

Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of ridiculous? What is the point of building BB 0.6 from source if not to use the most up-to-date build of Android? Since it is now confirmed that Gingerbread has more or less the same hardware requirements as Froyo did, what possible reason could there be for sticking with 2.2.1? Certainly the other source-based ROMs will be moving to Gingerbread as soon as possible.

I guess most people's response will be that the next version of BB will be based on GB, but at the rate Pete releases updates we might be looking at Honeycomb by then.

2. apops

apops Member

Ratings:
    +0
    who cares. either way it will be awesome. if youre so curious just send him a tweet and see what he says.

3. myriad46

myriad46 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry...but what ROM do you have loaded that IS based on Gingerbread? Pete's been working on BB0.6 for a while now. Gingerbread just came out.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

4. littlerick

littlerick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    gingerbread isnt out yet (just the sdk-not the source)

5. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It would help if the gingerbread source was released, so far it's just the SDK, so NO ROMS yet are based on gingerbread, even ones built from source.

6. GregNY

GregNY Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And is it not accurate that I read in an article posted recently on the homepage that our original Droid's may NOT meet the minimum requirements to run Gingerbread due to its processor speed? I know most have OC'd speeds but I'm hesitant to think it will be available any time soon due to that article....

7. turdbogls

turdbogls Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    there is no minimum hardware requirements for gingerbread. those were just rumors. if there really was a 1ghz minimum, the latest Tmo G2 couldn't run it...and that is just rediculous since it is one of the newest and fastes phones out there with only an 800mhz processor.

gingerbread will be here soon after the source is released (source is what current ROMs are built from...not the SDK as ROMs built from SDK are VERY buggy and usually dont work well enough to use.)
    will the D1 get an official OTA from verizon/motorola for gingerbread....who knows for sure.
    will the D1 get gingerbread in some way, shape, or form? most likely.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  8. GregNY

GregNY Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, just read that updated article. A bit of misreading on my part...

9. hett

hett Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Someone doesn't know what they're taaaaaalking aboooouuut.

10. rod

rod Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i think im just going to take this opportunity to commend pete on all hes done for us, at no cost to us. i started out with bugless, then jumped ship to numerous other roms. well, ive ended up with bugless. i may jump ship yet again when the first gb rom is released (given its not a bugless rom), but i have no doubt that ill come crawling right back.

11. Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Some well made points here, but remember that even though Bugless doesn't get updated often, we're all on this thread because we value the quality effort that Pete puts into it. Bugless is always a stable ROM to use, I'm currently toying with other ROMs at the moment, but only while I wait for .06 dancedroid

12. tameone

tameone Member

Ratings:
    +0
    SDK bases ROMs are garbage. These is the only gingerbread ROMs floating around at this point.

Sometime soon we should see ROMs based on a leaked build.. maybe for a droid, maybe for something else and we will get a port.

Eventually gingerbread source will be released and we will have aosp built ROMs.. this is the bread 'n butter, but don't hold your horses as it could be awhile.

edit: gingerbread will be in aosp soon after nexus S release.. so we should see ROMs in not too long!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010