so... 550mhz?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Sam, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    as i understand it, the processor in the motorola droid (sholes/tao/whatever, that one) is capable of 600mhz and is actually underclocked (no doubt to improve battery life a bit, given the 6hr+ claimed continued use time) to 550mhz.. what do you guys thing the odds are of there being some way to "overclock" the processor back to the 600mhz mark, or beyond? additionally, do you think it would make any noticeable difference?
  2. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    From what I gather it should be fairly easy to overclock it. The only problem you will run into is finding a mhz that won't overheat the phone. As you may or may not recall apple had a problem with one of the iphones and the overheating. It didn't take very long for them to fix it though.

The only problem is that a lot of people don't seem to understand the structuring of a mobile phone and it's cpu and gpu. It's not merely a 550mhz it's a cortex a8. Which is like a Pentium 2 vs a Pentium.
  3. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, I did not know the difference between the a8 version. So it's a complete generation beyond what most phones are using?
  4. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    Yes, most phones out are not using the A8 yet, or the complete architecture that it resides from / in. The iphone 3GS (3GS only) is using the same chip type just running it at a 50mhz faster, and then the N900 which is the snapdragon based on the same architecture if i remember correctly, just different chipset they are creating. But also stated in my one of my other posts about it (iphone) and the snapdragon, they both are SoC, or system on a chip. Which does both cpu + gpu from the same chip. Where the Moto droid is not designed that way.
  5. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Motorola Droid have a dedicated GPU?
  6. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    from everything i can tell.. not 100% sure but i believe it also has a "PowerVR SGX 530 GPU" included in the phone also that handles the graphics. Which if true in my eyes would make it FAR superior to the iphone.
  7. Sam

Ratings:
    +1
    GPU meaning like a dedicated graphics card on a desktop?
  8. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    GPU just basically means the graphical processing unit. It doesn't have to be on a desktop, it can be in anything that handles graphics. Usually having a dedicated graphics card will get you a lot more out of your graphics and it would take less of a toll on the CPU that does all the other calculations and I/O requests.
  9. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting. A dedicated GPU would more then make up for the mhz difference.
  10. Sam

Ratings:
    +1
    so i interpret what you guys are saying to mean that the motorola with the 550mhz processor will actually perform better than the snapdragon processor-equipped htc, because of a dedicated gpu? that's hot.
  11. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    i will never say it will be better, because without the snapdragon out they are mere assumptions. no one knows how the snapdragon will compare to others until it comes out. but do not take Mhz as reason that one is better then another. because just like AMD and INTEL they perform way differently.
  12. Sam

Ratings:
    +1
    that's a good point. we need to start some off-topic threads so we can talk computers
  13. eetu

eetu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Snapdragons, the OMAP on the Droid, and the Samsung on the iPhone are all System On a Chips. Each one has a graphics processor and a main processor.

No one knows the exact spec of the iPhone graphics processor but all signs point to the same PowerVR in the Droid, but possibly faster.

All three processors in each SOC are all Cortex A8 based, so their Mhz should be comparable (Snapdragon possibly being the fastest, then the OMAP and Samsung somewhat tied).

This means that the Snapdragon SOCs are probably the fastest overall in terms of system performance and graphics performance. Then the Samsung, then the Droid's TI OMAPs.
  14. rushmore

rushmore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Snap uses a weaker DSP and GPU but makes up using more clock cycles. The problem is Snap eats more battery than the 3430 to get the same amount of work done.

Most snaps are expected to be clocked at a 750mhz cap due to battery and heat concerns. Still using 65nm fabrication process so battery bleed and heat are an issue
    and reason for 750mhz cap. Some may go higher, but 850mhz is the expected threshold for official roms.

Also have to watch out because Snap has even weaker integrated DSP and GPU functions built in. Some device makers will not even bother with discrete DSP or GPUs since cheaper for them!

Still, as usual, fanboys with those weaker chipset devices will swear their device is best ;)
  15. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I'm not sure how that would make it superior to the iPhone? The iPhone 3GS has a PowerVR SGX 535 GPU, which is more powerful than the 530 in the Droid.