SNesoid, Nesoid, etc running in the background

dnvnk

Reaction score
I have already been convinced that task-killer apps can cause more harm than good.

However, something feels wrong about leaving an emulator such as nesoid open all day in the background. Is it smart to force close it when I am done? Or should I just let Android OS do its thing...

My biggest concern is battery life, and always has been.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have Gameboid that I use semi regularly. I dont believe in Task Killers, but when I'm done with it for the day there is an option to 'End' the program.

billyidle

Reaction score
If you want to stop the program and still not use task killers, use the built in android task killer. Settings > Manage Apps

OP
dnvnk

dnvnk

Reaction score
If you want to stop the program and still not use task killers, use the built in android task killer. Settings > Manage Apps

I know this, but...

it feels just as "harmful" to force close an app as it does to use task killer. Anyhow, I guess I am just going to let the OS do its thing.

phreek

Reaction score
I just got Nesoid (Final Fantasy FTW) - I haven't noticed any issues with it running in the background.

BPB

Reaction score
I've got Gameboid and I usually just exit and let it run in the background. Whenever I do, I notice that it does a force close two times before it seems to unload itself from memory. On the one hand I'm tempted to use some kind of task killer to get rid of it when I'm no longer using it, but on the other it doesn't seem to hurt anything. The force closes are odd, though.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
it feels just as "harmful" to force close an app as it does to use task killer

The problem with task killers are that they run in the background to close idle tasks that only have to start up again--cyclical waste of energy. And if misconfigured they close things that cause problems with your phone.

On the other hand, using a process viewer to force close stuff is just using up some of your time.

Check out the tasks with a process viewer. If they are asleep/idle (using 0% processor) then they are just sitting there in memory. The phone isn't using any more battery power to keep them there.

LordKastle

Reaction score
i use advanced task manager and open it when i want to kill an app and then i kill task manager. but... all you have to do is go in to settings>applications>manage applications [and then kill it]. you don't need a task killer.

Reaction score
WHile playing a game, you must hit the settings button then hit exit or close. dont just tab out or back out

solar

Reaction score
I've got Gameboid and I usually just exit and let it run in the background. Whenever I do, I notice that it does a force close two times before it seems to unload itself from memory. On the one hand I'm tempted to use some kind of task killer to get rid of it when I'm no longer using it, but on the other it doesn't seem to hurt anything. The force closes are odd, though.

I notice the same behavior. I contacted the dev and he updated the SNESoid with the fix and said he'd roll out the fix for the others if it worked. He didn't give me a timeframe for the rollout, but this was about a week ago.

Also, from what he told me and what I understand, Its normal to have one process holding on to memory until the memory is needed. Android will then close that process and reclaim that memory when its needed. I believe this is also the case with many apps. I don't think it uses any CPU or battery power unless the app is actually running (IE hitting home without choosing quit).

The two processes staying in memory is abnormal, but one is normal and shouldn't cause any issues. I dont believe killing the task with a task manager causes any harm though, but is unnessary.