Smudgy Droids

mattygabe

Reaction score
How often do you clean your Droid's (Eris and Moto both) touchscreen due to smudgie finger marks?

I say this because ever since I bought my Toshiba laptop last year, it has a beautiful gloss black bezel all around the keyboard, but it's been the bane of my existence since I've owned it (some melodrama/sarcasm in there). Seriously though, it gets pretty annoying to have to see all of your oily smudges all the time, and constantly cleaning it to no avail. Is this a problem for the Droid, or for touchscreen phones in general?

Reaction score
All touch screens in general. I just stop worry about it. I actually enjoy drawing new designs on the screen with the smudge when I'm bored and don't feel like turning the phone on lol.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every once in awhile. Probably once a weekish? I use iKlear only because I work with Apple products all day and works great for almost any device with a screen.

It's not necessarily an 'issue' it is a touchscreen device so you are bound to get smudges and fingerprints.

OP
mattygabe

mattygabe

Reaction score
All touch screens in general. I just stop worry about it. I actually enjoy drawing new designs on the screen with the smudge when I'm bored and don't feel like turning the phone on lol.
Yeah I actually purposefully insulted someone next to me by writing in the smudge on my laptop a couple months back. Alternative communication methods I called it.

wil318466

Reaction score
How often do you clean your Droid's (Eris and Moto both) touchscreen due to smudgie finger marks?

I say this because ever since I bought my Toshiba laptop last year, it has a beautiful gloss black bezel all around the keyboard, but it's been the bane of my existence since I've owned it (some melodrama/sarcasm in there). Seriously though, it gets pretty annoying to have to see all of your oily smudges all the time, and constantly cleaning it to no avail. Is this a problem for the Droid, or for touchscreen phones in general?

I clean it at least 10 times a day. I wipe it against my pants.

-Wil

mvezz

Reaction score
I always thought this would be a problem for me, as I was constantly cleaning finger prints from monitors, windows, etc.

After first buying an iPod Touch, and now the Droid, I find myself actually leaving it a bit smudgy as it makes your finger slide smoothly on the screen. I still wipe it off when it gets overly smudgy or when showing friends/family.

The one thing I noticed about the Droid screen as opposed to the iPod is that it is a bit sticky after wiping the screen clean. Not sticky in a glue/gum way, just seems to take a bit more force to slide your finger than it would with a bit of oil from your fingers helping it along.

Hope this helps!

OP
mattygabe

mattygabe

Reaction score
I always thought this would be a problem for me, as I was constantly cleaning finger prints from monitors, windows, etc.

After first buying an iPod Touch, and now the Droid, I find myself actually leaving it a bit smudgy as it makes your finger slide smoothly on the screen. I still wipe it off when it gets overly smudgy or when showing friends/family.

The one thing I noticed about the Droid screen as opposed to the iPod is that it is a bit sticky after wiping the screen clean. Not sticky in a glue/gum way, just seems to take a bit more force to slide your finger than it would with a bit of oil from your fingers helping it along.

Hope this helps!
Gotcha.

I'll most likely be the same way. I know it's coming but was curious anyways. I had heard that iPhones had been coated with a certain smudge-resistant coating, which piqued my interest a bit too.

wil318466

Reaction score

Hope this helps!

I have trouble using the touchscreen right after I wash my hands.

-Wil

TimChgo9

Reaction score
If it gets too smudgy (especially after playing Air Control) I just take a lint free cloth and wipe it, that takes care of the smudges. I clean it with a bit of windex on a cloth every other day or so, just to keep it looking good.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use my t-shirts. Usually on the left sleeve, but sometimes on my stomach. Not a big deal to me at all. As everyone here has said, it's to be expected. Your skin produces oil and sweat, so its gonna get smudgy.

The ocd in me makes me do it pretty frequently, but I wouldn't say I overdo it. I like my fancy phone to look good!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's generally in my right hand, and those opitions provide a nice flat-ish area. Rub it a little and it's clean. Laugh all you want, but it works like a charm. :-D

fibermick

Reaction score
hate the smudges

I can't stand having people see my gorgeous phone through a haze so I clean it every time I clean my glasses with those little wipes that come in a packet. Since my glasses need this every 3rd day or so, they both stay clean.

mvezz

Reaction score
I had heard that iPhones had been coated with a certain smudge-resistant coating, which piqued my interest a bit too.

I believe the iPod Touch screen is the same as iPhone. The difference I noticed between the iPod and Droid is the way smudges look when holding the screen at an angle. The Droid seems to block out what's on the screen or are highly visible whent he screen is black, whereas the iPod's are harder to see from an angle and more diffused looking when the screen is black. Must be the type of glass/coating they use like you said.