SMS Text Msg Date/Time Stamp

peaceful

Reaction score
I'm a proud new owner of the Droid but quite disappointed when powering it up this morning I learned that the text messages only had a date stamp and not a time stamp. A simple thing that is standard on all other phones. Surely it's available somewhere. I've gone thru the settings (or at least THINK I have) and didn't find a way to change the display.

Is there something I've overlooked or is there a dependable App out there to perform this function?

Thanks in advance for your help!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a proud new owner of the Droid but quite disappointed when powering it up this morning I learned that the text messages only had a date stamp and not a time stamp. A simple thing that is standard on all other phones. Surely it's available somewhere. I've gone thru the settings (or at least THINK I have) and didn't find a way to change the display.

Is there something I've overlooked or is there a dependable App out there to perform this function?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Use handcent, i know for sure that one offers date and timestamp. I think most of the third party sms programs have date and timestamps.

EDITED: To see the timestamp in the regular message program you have to long press on the specific sms you want and go to message details, and it will show you it for that one message only. A long a tedious process.

Last edited:

OneSkyWalker

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto E4 running Android 7.1
As New2u said, you can long-press on a message and then tap the Information icon to get message details.

A more convenient way on my Moto E4 running Android 7.1.1 is to tap on an individual message which causes the date/time to appear under the message. Very annoying that I had to futz around to discover the "trick". Not clear why this "trick" has not been more widely publicized!!!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the forum @OneSkyWalker We learn new things every day about these magical little computers we carry, called phones. Throughout the Android OS there are different options available between a quick tap vs a long press.