SMS/MMS Apps. What is the best choice? Help me decide!

mamawm

Reaction score
Im retarded. What app are you talking about?

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums
Verizon messenger. And you're not retarded, it's my fault. I couldn't figure out how to reply with a quote within a quote.

OP
welsalex

welsalex

Reaction score
Verizon messenger. And you're not retarded, it's my fault. I couldn't figure out how to reply with a quote within a quote.

Skeptical to try that out. Big red actually has an app that is worthwhile????

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

mamawm

Reaction score
yes! and i can't believe i just said that. there's so much verizion junk that i want to get rid of on this phone and then i go and install one. but this is really slick. i've been using it for about 2 months now and, for me, it's the best texting app.

Reaction score
I use Handsent for the privacy and backing up features for it.. and that you can change the notification vibration to make it unique from other things, so i know when I'm getting a text versus getting a talk message or an email

azdrifter

Reaction score
I've used GoSms pro it's got some really cool features but i prefer stock.I haven't tried Verizons yet but now I'm curious so downloading now :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Al Neri

Reaction score
I have used Handcent ever since I discovered it. I cannot imagine using the stock messenger. My only problem is certain skins cause force closes so I just use a boring one. I tried Go and it wasn't bad but I was so used to Handcent that it just felt wrong.

HorsePony

Reaction score
Wow, I was VERY surprised to read through this thread and see so many votes for the Bionic stock messenger.
I didn't even think to try it out when I got my Bionic.

I had used Handcent for years on my OG Droid when I finally discovered GoSMS at the tail end of my Bionic's life. When I got my Bionic, I just immediately installed GoSms.

So I have a question then...
What are the differences, if any, between the stock messenger app and Verizon's Messenger, as some brought that one up.
And do both of these easily text multiple recipients? Lack of that on my OG was the main reason for my beginning to use a 3rd party app for texting to begin with.

Would love to know more from those who use both of these.

Thanks!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Go SMS is my app of choice for sms due to the themes and customization options. I do not care for the bubble messaging of stock.

~it's not just a phone~

Blackhawk13

Reaction score
Wow, I was VERY surprised to read through this thread and see so many votes for the Bionic stock messenger.
I didn't even think to try it out when I got my Bionic.

I had used Handcent for years on my OG Droid when I finally discovered GoSMS at the tail end of my Bionic's life. When I got my Bionic, I just immediately installed GoSms.

So I have a question then...
What are the differences, if any, between the stock messenger app and Verizon's Messenger, as some brought that one up.
And do both of these easily text multiple recipients? Lack of that on my OG was the main reason for my beginning to use a 3rd party app for texting to begin with.

Would love to know more from those who use both of these.

Thanks!

The stock does not really do multiple recipients but the Verizon app does. I just downloaded it a few days ago and was surprised how good it is. And no real glitches so far. Although it's not as costomizabe as the others I think it works a lot better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm giving the Verizon Messaging a try. On the whole it's pretty nice, but it's not giving me a conversation like Handsent.

For example, with Handsent I see:
My message
Friends response
My response
My additional response
Friends response
My response

And with Verizon Messaging I see:
Friends response
Friends response
My message
My response
My additional response
My response

No way I can use that. Is there a setting I'm missing?

UPDATE: I'm looking at old messages and it looks like the times of any response to a text is way off. That doesn't make sense. In a message I sent on 12/30 at 4:13pm, my friend's RESPONSE to my question is time-stamped at 8:30am the same day! On Handsent it shows his response at the correct time of 4:28pm.

Last edited:

Blackhawk13

Reaction score
I'm giving the Verizon Messaging a try. On the whole it's pretty nice, but it's not giving me a conversation like Handsent.

For example, with Handsent I see:
My message
Friends response
My response
My additional response
Friends response
My response

And with Verizon Messaging I see:
Friends response
Friends response
My message
My response
My additional response
My response

No way I can use that. Is there a setting I'm missing?

It is like that on initial set up with existing messages. I thought the same thing. It goes to normal when you get new messages. I deleted all my old messages and it was fine.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is like that on initial set up with existing messages. I thought the same thing. It goes to normal when you get new messages. I deleted all my old messages and it was fine.

Thanks, that sounds plausible. I've sent a test message to see what happens.

Blackhawk13

Reaction score
It should work. Like I said. When I first saw it I was like. What the hell is this? But it fixed itself

HorsePony

Reaction score
It should work. Like I said. When I first saw it I was like. What the hell is this? But it fixed itself

I experienced that on my first day of getting my Bionic and using GoSMS and was confused as hell.
Took about a day to cycle out. I think the above explanation about all archived messages having an incorrect date is quite plausible.

mamawm

Reaction score
Yeah,I remember when I first downloaded the Verizon app I thought it was gonna be all screwed up, but when I sent and received a test text, all was fine. It let's you change background colors and bubble background colors, enable popup, and even insert you location.