SMS Messaging Bug Sending Texts to Wrong Recipient on Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sad_android.jpg

Have you experienced one of your SMS text messages going to the wrong person after you sent it with your Android phone? Apparently, there are many people out there that have, and this is a 'known' issue in Google's Android developer tech support forums. They rate it as "priority-medium" and have known about it for 6 months. There have been several posts confirming this bug. I personally haven't had it happen to me, but I know someone that has. This seems like a recipe for disaster, and it should be "priority-high". Perhaps with the issue starting to show up on websites, Google will 'look into it' a bit harder.

Source: ZDnet via BGR

Last edited:

Beardface

Reaction score
Sad_android.jpg

Have you experienced one of your SMS text messages going to the wrong person after you sent it with your Android phone? Apparently, there are many people out there that have, and this is a 'known' issue in Google's Android developer tech support forums. They rate it as "priority-medium" and have known about it for 6 months. There have been several posts confirming this bug. I personally haven't had it happen to me, but I know someone that has. This seems like a recipe for disaster, and it should be "priorty-high". Perhaps with the issue starting to show up on websites, Google will 'look into it' a bit harder.

Source: ZDnet via BGR
I have not, but one of my friends is having major issues with it, and it has gotten to the point where she is likely to abandon the Android platform once her plan is up. She currently has the Evo 4G on Sprint, and she has the problem pop up at least once a week.

R

RETG

For some, this could be the difference between life and death. Just imagine the poor guy who has his wife receive an SMS that was sent to his girlfriend.dancedroid

Dan_08

Reaction score
Yes this would suck! hopefully a fix comes. Hasn't happened to me yet or anyone I know.

styx

Reaction score
When I first got my Droid this happened a couple times. I haven't had it happen lately tho.

Beardface

Reaction score
Is this with the stock sms app?
It was happening with the stock app for my friend... but I can't imagine there would be any difference through another program, since they all handle the texts through the Android setup.

Reaction score
It happens to me all the time GrrrrBoooHiss! I am a heavy texter and it very annoying when it happen plus it looks bad depending on content of the text. What I do now is make sure the finish text is done sending before I move on to the next text this has seem to help. I think it a poor design software bug and needs to be fix ASAP. Some people use there Androids for Personal and Business it is a breach of privacy. We pay so much for these phones for this kind of bug to be unexceptionable.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
happens all the time 2 me

i will open up a incoming text click on it and my phone will open up a thread at the bottom of the list i was talking with my sis about the human centipede and it went to a coworker needless to say she was pretty shocked and i felt as stupid as an iphone

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Is this bug only with the default messaging app or with all? I use handscent SMS which works great and I don't think I've ever had my sms go to the wrong recipient. My sister has a Droid 1 and uses the default messaging app; I have experienced receiving sms from her that clearly weren't meant for me but I thought she was just doing it by accident. Perhaps she is experiencing the occasional appearance of this bug.

Droid101

Reaction score
I have been having alot of issues with the messaging on my OG Droid in the past couple of months. Various things from:
1.Messages being sent but not recieved by the person and that persons messages also not being recieved.
2. Messages will delete themselves and as it did today th phone will delete all of my messages on its own.(Mind you none of the limits I set have been reached yeat either)
3. I go to open up a message I just recieved from someone and itll open up a person whos at the bottom of my list who I never sent a message to.

Is anyone else having this happen?
It is getting annoying in my opinion but I love android and my droid I just put up with it.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This happened to me like 5 times since I got my D1 a year ago. Somehow it ALWAYS seems to happen at the worst times like then I sent my girlfriend a message saying "Mmm can't wait till later babe raaarrr" and somehow my boss got it and was like "hmm thank you" --- Or just a few days ago I said to my friend "Stop taking those stupid pills man" and my dad texts me back saying "What do you mean?"

I was told by a few people to download and use Handcent because there were MUCH less errors like these when using that as your main SMS app. I am on it now in hopes my boss doesnt get any future texts like "gunna skip work tomorrow and just drink!" Haha cause that would be bad...

SonRK

Reaction score
I have been having alot of issues with the messaging on my OG Droid in the past couple of months. Various things from:
1.Messages being sent but not recieved by the person and that persons messages also not being recieved.
2. Messages will delete themselves and as it did today th phone will delete all of my messages on its own.(Mind you none of the limits I set have been reached yeat either)
3. I go to open up a message I just recieved from someone and itll open up a person whos at the bottom of my list who I never sent a message to.

Is anyone else having this happen?
It is getting annoying in my opinion but I love android and my droid I just put up with it.

I've been having the same problems ever since I started running the Cyanogen Mod on my original Droid. Never experienced it back on the original rom

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
The only problem I had was it getting a contacts actual phone number mixed up. Replacing a 0 with a 1, ended up texting someone else. They were assholes about it and started texting back like I had the right number. I think that had something to do with the sync between googles server and my phone.

This hasn't happened to me tho, but I've been running Handcent SMS since the first day I got my phone.. Not sure if that's the fix or not. (while also knocking on wood that is the fix and doesn't start happening).