SMS Messaging Bug Sending Texts to Wrong Recipient on Android

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 31, 2010.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Have you experienced one of your SMS text messages going to the wrong person after you sent it with your Android phone? Apparently, there are many people out there that have, and this is a 'known' issue in Google's Android developer tech support forums. They rate it as "priority-medium" and have known about it for 6 months. There have been several posts confirming this bug. I personally haven't had it happen to me, but I know someone that has. This seems like a recipe for disaster, and it should be "priority-high". Perhaps with the issue starting to show up on websites, Google will 'look into it' a bit harder.

Source: ZDnet via BGR
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. Beardface

Beardface Member

I have not, but one of my friends is having major issues with it, and it has gotten to the point where she is likely to abandon the Android platform once her plan is up. She currently has the Evo 4G on Sprint, and she has the problem pop up at least once a week.
  3. RETG

RETG Member

For some, this could be the difference between life and death. Just imagine the poor guy who has his wife receive an SMS that was sent to his girlfriend.dancedroid
  4. Dan_08

Dan_08 New Member

Yes this would suck! hopefully a fix comes. Hasn't happened to me yet or anyone I know.
  5. bhughesiii

bhughesiii New Member

Is this with the stock sms app?
  6. styx

styx New Member

When I first got my Droid this happened a couple times. I haven't had it happen lately tho.
  7. Beardface

Beardface Member

It was happening with the stock app for my friend... but I can't imagine there would be any difference through another program, since they all handle the texts through the Android setup.
  8. 707BellyDancer

707BellyDancer New Member

It happens to me all the time GrrrrBoooHiss! I am a heavy texter and it very annoying when it happen plus it looks bad depending on content of the text. What I do now is make sure the finish text is done sending before I move on to the next text this has seem to help. I think it a poor design software bug and needs to be fix ASAP. Some people use there Androids for Personal and Business it is a breach of privacy. We pay so much for these phones for this kind of bug to be unexceptionable.
  9. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

Yup just happened to me on the 29th.
    Snet a Happy Birthday SMS to my sister and it went to 3 other people on my list and not my sister.

Could be worse.
  10. cush2push

cush2push Premium Member Premium Member Developer

happens all the time 2 me

i will open up a incoming text click on it and my phone will open up a thread at the bottom of the list i was talking with my sis about the human centipede and it went to a coworker needless to say she was pretty shocked and i felt as stupid as an iphone
  11. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Is this bug only with the default messaging app or with all? I use handscent SMS which works great and I don't think I've ever had my sms go to the wrong recipient. My sister has a Droid 1 and uses the default messaging app; I have experienced receiving sms from her that clearly weren't meant for me but I thought she was just doing it by accident. Perhaps she is experiencing the occasional appearance of this bug.
  12. Droid101

Droid101 Member

I have been having alot of issues with the messaging on my OG Droid in the past couple of months. Various things from:
    1.Messages being sent but not recieved by the person and that persons messages also not being recieved.
    2. Messages will delete themselves and as it did today th phone will delete all of my messages on its own.(Mind you none of the limits I set have been reached yeat either)
    3. I go to open up a message I just recieved from someone and itll open up a person whos at the bottom of my list who I never sent a message to.

Is anyone else having this happen?
    It is getting annoying in my opinion but I love android and my droid I just put up with it.
  13. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

This happened to me like 5 times since I got my D1 a year ago. Somehow it ALWAYS seems to happen at the worst times like then I sent my girlfriend a message saying "Mmm can't wait till later babe raaarrr" and somehow my boss got it and was like "hmm thank you" --- Or just a few days ago I said to my friend "Stop taking those stupid pills man" and my dad texts me back saying "What do you mean?"

I was told by a few people to download and use Handcent because there were MUCH less errors like these when using that as your main SMS app. I am on it now in hopes my boss doesnt get any future texts like "gunna skip work tomorrow and just drink!" Haha cause that would be bad...
  14. dbst

dbst New Member

Never happened to me but I use Handcent
  15. SonRK

SonRK New Member

I've been having the same problems ever since I started running the Cyanogen Mod on my original Droid. Never experienced it back on the original rom
  16. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

The only problem I had was it getting a contacts actual phone number mixed up. Replacing a 0 with a 1, ended up texting someone else. They were assholes about it and started texting back like I had the right number. I think that had something to do with the sync between googles server and my phone.

This hasn't happened to me tho, but I've been running Handcent SMS since the first day I got my phone.. Not sure if that's the fix or not. (while also knocking on wood that is the fix and doesn't start happening).
  17. 707BellyDancer

707BellyDancer New Member

Is Handcent SMS that great of a app? I am still on the OG DROID and it slowing down quiet a bit from day one but still a Beast of a phone. I keep thinking about trying Handcent it just don't want my phone to slow down or any miss direct text to the wrong people. I am up for a upgrade but I am waiting to for the duel processor phones.
  18. NCREDIBLE DROID

NCREDIBLE DROID New Member

:rofl3::rofl3: That was a good one :clap:
  19. jimmypop13

jimmypop13 New Member

This happened to me also when I switched to cyanogenmod like someone mentioned above. Everyone claims its the best stock style rom but I'm having far less problems with the new miui or stock rom.
  20. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Anyone had this happen with GV or just with 'carrier' based txts?? Curious as I only use GV for txts and haven't seen it yet (then I don't txt a lot either).

Also is it limited to cooked ROMs or is it happening with stock ROMs as well?

Seriously... 6 months and a 'medium' priority... and Google really want Android to be considered a 'major player'... I could expect that type of response from Apple as it wouldn't really hurt them much... but for a 'start-up' OS this type of response shouldn't be acceptable (if it's being found in stock ROMs, cooked ROMs are another matter).
Search tags for this page
android sms bug does it send to original recipient
android sms sent to wrong person
at&t phone sending messages to wrong recipient
keep sending text to the wrong people on my samsung nexus ph
my cell phone keeps sending messages to the wrong person
my phone keeps sending messages to the wrong people
my phone keeps sending messages to the wrong person

my phone keeps sending texts to the wrong people

nokia mobile sending text messages to wrong recipient
problems with the new phone when sending sms text,wrong reci
starting a new text thread after the recipient has been texted in the past