SMS messages - beginning cut off?

bfd740

Reaction score
I have a weird problem. I am a volunteer fireman and we get texts for all of our alarms. Since switching to the Droid 2, most of my paging texts have the beginning cut off.

For example, a text that should say (I'm making all of this up btw):
***16-Rescue*** 123 PARK AVE CS: COLT AVE/DEER PARK AVE TOA:15:02 12/06/10 23 Y/O M HEAD INJ FROM FALL BABYLON FD 2010-001234

ends up looking like this:
[DEER PARK AVE TOA: 15:02 12] 06/10 23 Y/O M HEAD INJ FROM FALL BABYLON FD 2010-001234

It's basically cutting off the signal type, location, and first cross street (CS) and adding brackets turning 12/06/10 into "[...12] 06/10"

(If you have no idea how to read any of that, which you probably don't, it basically means this: Signal 16, Rescue (EMS) call, 123 Park Ave between Colt Ave and Deer Park Ave, 23 year old male head injury from a fall, time of alarm: 15:02, Babylon FD, Alarm# 10-001234)

I played with it using my email, and have determined that high priority comes in fine while normal priority does not... (some dispatchers hit the high button but most don't, which explains why it is intermittent)

I haven't found any settings that can be changed for this, the only thing I was thinking was trying a different message app? It's weird because it's cutting off the beginning and not the end, so maybe the characters such as astricks and slashes are throwing it off? SMS messages with normal text seem to come in fine.

Last edited:
OP
B

bfd740

Reaction score
I've been playing around with it, with both the stock text app and handcent.

1: the text looks fine in the status bar at the top when it scrolls, but in either message app they are cut off.

2: Unchecking "self-check" results in one message that is cut off. Checking it results in two messages in the inbox (one alert - notifications are disabled in default app) the first one is cut off, the second one is complete.

3: The self-check box in receive settings does not appear to affect texts from other phones. Similarily, the paging text forwarded exactly as it would appear from another phone also appears fine regardless of this setting.

My friend has the Droid 1, and although he is using Handcent, he does not have this problem in either that or the stock app.

I have also tried stopping the process for the stock app, but it comes back with every text I receive.

Any suggestions? Ultimately I'll deal with the double texts from email addresses, but I would rather eliminate the first, cut-off one and keep the second.

lenpfe

Reaction score
same half sms problem

I am having the same exact problem when i get a text through my firehouse gpage system. i generally only get the last half or last third of the message. have you figured anything out yet. Motorola tech chat was not much help and verizon doesnt want to talk to you if it involves group paging software issues.
I tried using Go SMS Pro but that did the same thing.

Anyone with any ideas or help, please post.

lenpfe

Reaction score
this helped

i had my paging email changed to a vzwpix.com email address. this lets me get all of the message, but i am having a problem with getting cadpage to work with it.