SMS Issue on CyanogenMod 6, Droid

semi_n00b

Reaction score
Calling the Rescue Squad!!!!!
I need your help here, I have a Droid 1, rooted, running cyanogenmod 6 and 928Droid Black Glass theme (if its relevant). Everything is fine, I love it, minus the fact that I can't open handcent sms, or even the stock sms service. It just force closes upon launch in handcent, and refuses to open the stock messaging. GApps are installed, by the way. If any extra information is needed to diagnose this problem, please reply. Any help is good help! Thanks in advance!
Ralph
*EDIT* I do have some experience/knowledge of what I am doing on my Droid, however, this one has stumped me. This problem arose today, immediately after my first nandroid backup ON THE CYANOGEN MOD 6 ROM! Not my very first nandroid backup, or restore (which I haven't done yet on cm6 yet.)
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

warrior21

Reaction score
Did you try going to settings>applications>manage apps>all>scroll down to handcent and clear data & cache?

Sent from my Droid

OP
S

semi_n00b

Reaction score
Just tried your suggestion, but to no avail, unfortunately.. just in case you have any more suggestions, I have just updated my first post. Thank you anyway!
(Lol thanks, I would have never thought of that by the way.)

OP
S

semi_n00b

Reaction score
I have several backups, I belive 4 in total, 2 for CM6 and 2 for stock FRG22D roms. If I should restore to frg22d, please let me know, but if anyone has a stock messaging apk ripped from a droid, please help me or post it. Thanks!
Ralph

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Hmm, I am stumped too. You did do a data/cache wipe when you installed CM6, didn't you? As that is all I can think of. Or re-install the rom. Or restore to your last working backup and then re-install CM6 with a wipe as well.

good luck

OP
S

semi_n00b

Reaction score
When I had installed CyanogenMod 6, I installed it using ROManager's "install from SDcard" feature and while it was in recovery, i did notice that it said "wiping data" and "wiping cache", and it installed successfully, so it must have been a user error, or something conflicted or i did something wrong yet again.
I do have a method to try to restore the last working backup, up to where i was before i failed, with all my apps, im going to post it in this, please tell me if you see any flaws in this "plan" of mine. Thanks in advance, you are all very helpful.
The Master Plan:
1. Update (backup all applications using Titanium)
2. Change name of update.zip (theme update is apparently 49.2 MB) to cyanogenmod theme update.zip or something of the sort.
3. Create update.zip of all backed up apps
4. find first working nandroid of cyanogen mod 6
5. restore backup
6. apply update.zip (apps)
7. apply theme update.zip
8. asses for problems

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I can see several issues with this plan. Steps: 2, 3, 6, 7. These are pretty much unneeded, 3 being pointless and 6 = fail. Step 7 is also pointless if the backup you're restoring is already themed. If you're restoring a virgin backup then yes, I can see that happening, but why not restore a more recent backup that's already themed?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I can see several issues with this plan. Steps: 2, 3, 6, 7. These are pretty much unneeded, 3 being pointless and 6 = fail. Step 7 is also pointless if the backup you're restoring is already themed. If you're restoring a virgin backup then yes, I can see that happening, but why not restore a more recent backup that's already themed?
+1 ^^^ this.

Step 3, create update.zip of all apps. How? Why? I think FBM is absolutely correct, restore your last working backup whether it is themed or not and start going forward from there, i.e. apply the theme fresh, etc. as restoring parts of your failed system _might_ cause problems.

good luck

OP
S

semi_n00b

Reaction score
+1 ^^^ this.

Step 3, create update.zip of all apps. How? Why? I think FBM is absolutely correct, restore your last working backup whether it is themed or not and start going forward from there, i.e. apply the theme fresh, etc. as restoring parts of your failed system _might_ cause problems.

good luck

Step three; the update.zip of my backed up apps minus my system apps would have been created using titanium backup, and my working backup was not themed, it was in fact created before I applied the theme, just in case, but as it is useless, I will follow your suggestions. Thank you!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Just as a FYI, Titanium does not create update.zips.

good luck

OP
S

semi_n00b

Reaction score
Just as a FYI, Titanium does not create update.zips.

good luck

Hmm, if it does not, then for some reason, my free market version is inaccurate and should be updated, i have not seen very much into it.