Smoothness of home menu?

Zyph

Reaction score
My friend pointed this out and now I can't unsee it. Why is it that on a dual-core phone such as my X2 the home screen transitions when you slide left and right are super laggy and choppy, while on his phone (I forgot what type, it decently old though) and pretty much everyone else's phone I've looked at they're smooth as butter?

Is there some configuration I did wrong? Is something using up a lot of processing power in the background? My phone is rooted, but without the supercharger script (not sure if it works with 2.3.4 rooted on an X2). I'm not using a live wallpaper.

Something is definitely wrong here.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what launcher are you using? you can try using another launcher... i personally use adw.. but there is also go launcher and there are alot more

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I doubt its a dual-core issue, per se; since my Bionic seems to have smooth transitions.

Probably something specific to the version of MotoBlur running on the DX2.

OP
Z

Zyph

Reaction score
what launcher are you using? you can try using another launcher... i personally use adw.. but there is also go launcher and there are alot more

Stock launcher. I'll try adw and see how it goes.

My friend I just talked to suggested I use Titanium Backup and do a factory reset. I'll try adw first though.

tamlin42

Reaction score
I would recommend LauncherPro, because it's awesome and you never have to pay for it. It's no longer under active development, but that's nitpicky.
Anyhow, I can't speak to the homescreen transition issue. I run a single homescreen with power control widget and app shortcuts only. LP is one of the few that actually supports this kind of configuration.

Obviously, if you run a ton of widgets and your friend didn't, that's a big factor. There may even be one single widget causing your sluggish swiping.

A factory reset seems kind of drastic for this issue.

OP
Z

Zyph

Reaction score
ADW fixed pretty much all my issues

I even downloaded the Mimimalist theme and am having a lot of fun with it.

I guess it was just a Moto Blur issue because for a while I was using all the same widgets with the ADW default theme and it was running fine

Thanks for the suggestions guys

xm0067

Reaction score
Tweaking the build.prop file (ROM toolbox has one inside of it) and upping the max events per second (mine is at 100 compared to 55) can help

Sent from my ApeX-ed, Overclocked, and Automated DROID 2

Trip3601211

Reaction score
My X2's screen transition is smooth as butter. I've gone through about 5 X2 replacements cuz of defects on each one. This last one however looks like its barely been used. No wear on the hard keys no scratches from screen to camera and the inside back looks as though the last owner barely if ever did battery pulls. I cleared the cache twice and did a FR in android recovery. I then flashed the latest sbf 2.3.4 and it's been beautiful since.

Sent from my DROID X2

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I've been a fan of the X2 since I got it, and each update has made it better and better. The lagging screen transitions always bothered me; more of an annoyance. After reading this thread I decided to give a launcher a try. I tried Launcher Pro first and it was OK... but you really had to buy it in order to unlock it's potential. I did a search in google and found a review on 4 different launchers (including Launcher Pro). I wound up installing Go Launcher EX (it's free, though themes aren't). And OMG I love it! The transitions are super smooth, and the options are great. I spent a bit of time sorting out what I like/don't etc (but we techy types love an excuse to mess with our phones).

I'm convinced the laggy stuff we see is blur, and not the hardware. The phone is much more snappy, and battery life is just fine (8 hours into today with moderate use and I'm still at 70%). If you aren't a fan of blur, then try a different launcher.

infantry667

Reaction score
Well for one, even though the X2 has a dual core processor it only gas 512 mb of ram whereas the bionic and almost all newer android phones have 1GB and more, and two GB in its stock state is not very efficient. If you are rooted or know anything about root I would suggest rooting and flashing a custom rom like eclipse, it is infinitely more efficient, smoother and snappier than stock GB. As for ADW and GoLauncher, from what I've read and heard from people who have used it, I would not suggest using them, they suck up battery life and since stock GB itself uses a lot more battery than it should this may not be a good idea.

SBF'd (sent blazingly fast) from my Hulkified X2

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
3rd party launchers like Adw or Go typically use MUCH less battery than the stock blur launcher as they do not have blurs system wide "integration". Blur launcher when running automatically runs about 10 other apps that it depends on. Adw or Go do not have any dependencies like blur does so they are far more battery friendly.

Sent from my Android device.

down1plus2

Reaction score
I think go launcher is better than launcher pro. Its always being updated and better customizations.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

RangerAL

Reaction score
I just installed ADW on my X2 and it's much snappier than the stock launcher. Very smooth.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

*Update: uninstalled ADW. Starting hanging up for some reason. Back to stock.

A~

Trip3601211

Reaction score
I think the screen transition is smooth for me running 2.3.4 stock. Haven't had many lags unless the RAM has been used up and not cleared, which is a simple task to do every time your done using your device. Helps much too...no need to download third party app task killers or such.

Sent from my DROID X2

Gleason81

Reaction score
My friend pointed this out and now I can't unsee it. Why is it that on a dual-core phone such as my X2 the home screen transitions when you slide left and right are super laggy and choppy, while on his phone (I forgot what type, it decently old though) and pretty much everyone else's phone I've looked at they're smooth as butter?

Is there some configuration I did wrong? Is something using up a lot of processing power in the background? My phone is rooted, but without the supercharger script (not sure if it works with 2.3.4 rooted on an X2). I'm not using a live wallpaper.

Something is definitely wrong here.

Had the DX2 and Launcher Pro smoothed things out pretty good.