Smartphones vs. Desktops, Laptops, Camcorders, and Video Game Consoles

sampsoninc916

Reaction score
I'm a new registered user and my Dad has the Droid. Smartphones seem to be getting bigger and stuffed with more features. I've even seen people take pictures and film video with smartphones, as well as the ton of apps. How do all these things add up in comparison with desktops, laptops, camcorders, and video game consoles combined? I'm writing this on a new 2010 i7 desktop right now. Using a camera rather than a smartphone, a camcorder rather than a smartphone, a desktop, a laptop?

brando56894

Reaction score
It all depends on what type of devices you have. If you have low end separate devices to begin with than the droid will nicely incorporate them into one thing for you. For example if you have one of the first commercially available GPS units, a pentium 3 or 4 desktop with like a gig of ram or so, an old 2 or 3 megapixel digital camera (or a cheap/old 35mm one) and an old VHS camcorder any of the droids will be a nice upgrade for you since they contain better "features" all in one device.

Obviously high end current devices (or even ones that are a year or two old) dont even compare to what the droid includes. Your i7 will run laps around the fastest smartphone in existence (the droid pro will be 1.3 ghz single core when it comes out in november, while i believe the i7 is atleast 2.5-3 ghz and has 4 to 6 cores IIRC) and then eat it for breakfast and then crap it out and bury it in it yard! The gaming abilities of the droids are about equivalent to a newer handheld game system (psp, nintendo dx, etc..) or as far as consoles go theyre on the level of a PS2 or xbox. The gps system in my original droid is on par with my garmin nuvi 760 (about 2 or so years old), only the garmin has more built in features (since its a dedicated gps unit) but google navigation/maps is catching up. Newer Stand alone cameras and video cameras murder the abilities of the smart phones also.

I got an Asus eeepc for christmas because I wanted something small that I could browse the web on or do small things while watching tv, I got my droid 3 months later and now i barely use the netbook since my (overclocked) droid is more useful and convenient to use than my netbook (depending on what im doing). My droid has essentially replaced my mp3 player (siriusXM stiletto2), my gps (unless im taking long trips), my digital camera and my netbook.

Last edited:

Sanda

Reaction score
Pack up your i-7 Computer, your portable GPS unit, your Camcorder and Camera and head to the supermarket or to work with you each day. Most phones aren't considered a replacement for any of your high end gadgets but you can put it in your pocket and head out.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Pack up your i-7 Computer, your portable GPS unit, your Camcorder and Camera and head to the supermarket or to work with you each day. Most phones aren't considered a replacement for any of your high end gadgets but you can put it in your pocket and head out.

THIS! ^^^^^

I couldn't answer with anything more on target than that reply.

Simply put, CONVENIENCE is often a major consideration for many who want the best in portable technology.