Smartphone with Massive 6250 mAh Battery is Available in China

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
doogee-homtom.jpg

We found an intriguing story about a device that is not available in the US, but we still had to share it with you folks. It's called the Doogee HomTom, and the reason it stands out is because the OEM, Doogee, was able to cram a massive 6,250 mAh battery in the phone without it being stupidly chunky.

The device is definitely thicker than the average smartphone, but it isn't unreasonably so and sits at a plump 0.38in (9.9mm) thickness. To put this in perspective, the OnePlus 2 only contains a 3,300 mAh battery yet is almost the same size at 0.38 (9.85mm).

Of course, one of the reasons that manufacturers don't put such big batteries in smartphones isn't just because of the physical size. It's also because it usually takes an enormous amount of time to charge the larger batteries. Luckily the folks at Doogee thought of this and included fast charging tech in their device. They aptly named it the PumpExpress Plus fast charging technology, and it can charge its battery to 75% capacity in around 30 minutes.

Here's the rest of the specs for this device:
  • Quad-core MediaTek MT6735 SoC
  • 5.5-inch, 720p display
  • 13MP camera with a Sony sensor
  • 5MP front camera
  • The outer shell is made of an alloy of unknown composition with a rear panel of plastic
  • Android 5.1 Lollipop
Doogee didn't really share estimates on how long a battery like this would last, but it must be a crazy amount of time for a smartphone. It makes you wonder why other OEMs don't start doing this too. The phone will launch in China in September.

Source: GizChina

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
"It makes you wonder why other OEMs don't start doing this too."

This is exactly why I am very skeptical about this claimed battery size (with the thickness listed). Any OEM that does this will sell the pants off other smart phones (the evil fruit company included).

So I will put this firmly in the "wait-and-see" column.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I would definitely sacrifice some extra pocket space for a larger longer lasting battery.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
"It makes you wonder why other OEMs don't start doing this too."

This is exactly why I am very skeptical about this claimed battery size (with the thickness listed). Any OEM that does this will sell the pants off other smart phones (the evil fruit company included).

So I will put this firmly in the "wait-and-see" column.

Companies are still trying to make phones paper thin.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I would agree on the sales prospective. I love my Droid Maxx DE because if I use it lightly I have gotten 57 hours, moderately 36 hours, or heavily (GPS and tethering) 16 hours. It gives me options when traveling and the freedom and piece of mind that I can use my phone however I want and get through the day.

I'm very disappointed in manufactures make the screens huge taking up more real estate in your pocket, but keeping the small battery because they don't want to increase the thickness. My Droid Bionic felt so much better in my hand with the big extended battery in it than it did with the stock battery. An extra millimeter or two adds so much more capability for such a small sacrifice.

I laugh when I'm traveling at the iphone users who are constantly plugged in because there phone dies from being used.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
The BLU Studio Energy has a 5000mAh Battery, Quad Core & 5" 720P Display and they are claiming 4 Days of Battery. It can Also be used to charge other devices like a Power Bank. The BLU is only ~$150 so Im curious how much this one will be and availability in the US. I am looking for a GSM Phone come March and this may fit the Bill but Only if the Price is Right!