Smartphone virgin here...

janettaroo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just got my new Droid 3 days ago, and the Verizon store suggested I take their workshop which is @ 7:30 am tomorrow. Has anybody taken this class, and is it worth it to get up so early (on a Saturday, no less...) or would I fare much better just to troll this forum? I am new to this type of phone, having owned the LG VX8700 the past few years:blush: Am in love so far!

Shelooga

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just got my new Droid 3 days ago, and the Verizon store suggested I take their workshop which is @ 7:30 am tomorrow. Has anybody taken this class, and is it worth it to get up so early (on a Saturday, no less...) or would I fare much better just to troll this forum? I am new to this type of phone, having owned the LG VX8700 the past few years:blush: Am in love so far!

in the time it takes to get to and from and stay awake during this little 'class' id say just play around with your phone item by item. i think youll be suprised at how user friendly and powerful it can be. then root it, and wow will your world change

OP
J

janettaroo

Reaction score
lol...don't know what you mean by 'root it', so I guess I better go to that 'class'. Told you I'm a virgin...

kaboyd

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum janettaroo. I sat in on the class after having my phone for about a week. I did'nt learn anything in it that I hadn't found on my own or by reading the threads here. I won't say it's a waste of time, but it didn't help me at all. This is my first smartphone, so I was overwhelmed by the functions of it. In a few short days I was fully capable and already begining to mod and read on the benefits of rooting. you are definitely at the right place to learn.
Again, :welcome:and enjoy
Edit: Don't talk to VZW about root, and don't even bother thinking about it until you learn your phone, and understand a bit of how a linux OS works. Just enjoy the device for a bit. That's my .02

Last edited:
OP
J

janettaroo

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip kaboyd. I was a little shocked that such a complex phone didn't even come with a manual. But after tinkering around on it the last few days, have discovered it is very user friendly. I'll be lurking here for a while...great forum!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Don't know what they offer in the class, but I'd opt to learn whatever you need here. Plus, it's free!

Shelooga

Reaction score
lol...don't know what you mean by 'root it', so I guess I better go to that 'class'. Told you I'm a virgin...

ive had my droid since the day they came out, but my phone literacy cherry was popped a few weeks ago. look into rooting it. it intimidated me at first, but the benefits of doing that are unreal. good luck and have fun

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum janettaroo. I sat in on the class after having my phone for about a week. I did'nt learn anything in it that I hadn't found on my own or by reading the threads here. I won't say it's a waste of time, but it didn't help me at all. This is my first smartphone, so I was overwhelmed by the functions of it. In a few short days I was fully capable and already begining to mod and read on the benefits of rooting. you are definitely at the right place to learn.
Again, :welcome:and enjoy
Edit: Don't talk to VZW about root, and don't even bother thinking about it until you learn your phone, and understand a bit of how a linux OS works. Just enjoy the device for a bit. That's my .02

+1 for kaboyd and his advice! Welcome to the neighborhood, janettaroo! Glad to have you here! You'll find this forum to be full of very friendly, helpful folks. So come on in and make yourself at home! If you get stuck, just post a question and someone will be along to help you out. Hope you enjoy that new toy of yours!

:welcome: