Smartphone Research Results Done By SPB

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
attachment.php
Being a VIP member of the press allows you get get some pretty resourceful emails and this is one of the first that I feel like I have to share with you guys.

Enjoy:
- Is the platform important? iPhone vs Android. The users have chosen the most popular platform

Platform is really important for the users today (91% of respondents confirmed this).

Android, Bada, Blackberry, Feature Phone, Symbian and Windows Mobile users would choose Android platform buying the next device. Surprisingly, iOS is the most preferred platform only among the iPhone users. iOS, Maemo, Palm and Windows Phone 7 users would choose their platforms.

Android, Bada, BlackBerry, iOS and Windows Mobile users choose Symbian OS as the platform that they would less likely have. Symbian users consider Windows Mobile to be such a platform. iOS is less preferred by Palm and Windows Phone 7 users. Feature phone users wouldn't buy a feature phone as their next device. This shows that smartphones will replace feature phones in the near future.

We also see the difference between user preferences when it comes to platform choice. Functionality, apps quality, app store and design are most valued in iOS. Availibility of free apps and widgets are liked mostly by Android users. The devices availability on the market is most valued by Symbian users. bada users like the price of their devices and Palm users - simplicity.

- How much are the users ready to pay for the apps they are using?

Survey participants would prefer the paid software (53%) to free software with ads (47%). However, it differs a lot depending on the country and, as we said before, platform. In Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States of America the users would rather pay for the software. In China, Czech Republic, India, Spain, Brazil, Ukraine, Portugal, Taiwan and Argentina they are most likely to download it for free. Android, Symbian and Feature phone users claim that they would prefer to download apps for free with ad support.

The users choose maps and GPS (72%), weather (62%) and browsers/Internet utilities (62%) as necessary software to have on the device. However it's a common assumption, that software should be cheap, only games showed quite low price, when we asked users, how much they prefer to pay for applications. The users would pay for games and fun software if it costs less than $5. But when it comes to serious things, they would pay more (up to $10-20) for backup, maps and GPS, improvement for UI and Usability, dictionary and business (e-mail client, text editor, etc) applications.

On average users download around 2-5 apps per month. Maemo (6 apps), Android (6 apps) and iOS (5 apps) users download more apps than others. Software is mostly downloaded from developer's website or on-device Application Store. BlackBerry (4 apps) and Windows Mobile (3 apps) users download less than users with devices on other platforms.

32% of the smartphone users that have taken part in our survey, have already used the tablet device. Among those who have used a tablet before 34% are going to buy it. Those who haven't used it are more skeptical: 67% of them are not going to buy it. The majority of participants believe that the use of a tablet device won't significantly reduce the need for an advanced smartphone.

The full SPB Survey 2010 report can be found here: SPB Survey 2010 SPB Software

Three randomly chosen SPB Survey participants are already chosen to receive valuable "thank you" gifts from SPB Software. They have received the email with the instructions on how to get their prize.

So do you believe in the results portrayed in this survey? How would you have answered these questions. Answer below.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Whats this? Unbiased information on the internet? I call shenanigans!

:)

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
What is that pic? A Remington?

I think I'm sticking with Android. I'm worlds more satisfied. Besides that my fiancée always asks me to do stuff with my DX instead of just using her iP4. I think we've got a convert!

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Sadly no.. It was suppose to be the Pony Express... to represent the email I got, and that is the best "pony express" like picture I could find. :/

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would choose Android and maybe WP7 before anything else. Android would be first choice tho.

And the Omnia 1 is over the Omnia 2 in Top 10 phones of SPB users? The Omnia 2 must be some absolute garbage cuz the Omnia 1 sucked. I was gonna get the Omnia 2, but went Android for the keyboard. (Droid 1)

My experience on the Omnia 1 was so bad I thought I needed a physical keyboard....lol

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My experience with the Droid 1 showed me I didnt....

And according to that survey, more ppl dislike Symbian than iOS. There is some love for iOS out there...lol