Smartass and interactive governors on D2G

jt1359

Reaction score
So has anyone tried using the smartass or interactive governors on their D2G? Through Droid Overclock or anything? I'm probably gonna try it, but I wanted to see if anyone has gotten them to work or know how they compare with battery life and performance compared to ondemand.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Hard to say. Keep in mind droid clock is for the d2 which its cpu has one less slott then ours soit may not work properley and wont work to its full potential anyways.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
J

jt1359

Reaction score
Is that last spot even really necessary though? I mean is there any benefit to having that 5th slot? And I think if you're not actually overclocking you don't lose the 5th slot, you should be able to change governors without losing the slot. I only use it to undervolt and make profiles personally.

chrisl20

Reaction score
Only way to find out is to test it out man...make sure u have a way to get ur phone back to good...ik that droid overclock messed w my phone pretty bad...same w set cpu, milestone, and quickclock...all of them were problematic..but, I was trying to overclock, I didn't mess w ONLY the governors/voltage...but...I do need to try droid overclock again anyways to see if there is an experimental module w 5slot cpu...so, I might as well test the waters on the govs and voltages..

OP
J

jt1359

Reaction score
I've used a few if those and they all worked fine for me. I just prefer Droid Overclock because I can customize my voltages in advanced. If you do try smartass or interactive, let me know how it goes. I don't think they'd mess up the phone, at least not much. I mean all they do is tell your cpu how to intact with usage, they should work on most if not all phones.

chrisl20

Reaction score
Well, the only thing/reason as to y idk they would, is because the d2g is soo different from the d2, and ppl play them off as the same..when they rnt even close.. ..i am not sure where the exact location of the voltage settings r stored in the d2 and d2g, but, just like many other things, they probably arnt in the same locale...but, its worth a shot, and im off today until 6pm, so im going to do some tinkering shortly, ill post my results when I have had the voltage set long enough to find if its a go,or a fail

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Is that last spot even really necessary though? I mean is there any benefit to having that 5th slot? And I think if you're not actually overclocking you don't lose the 5th slot, you should be able to change governors without losing the slot. I only use it to undervolt and make profiles personally.
Is that last spot necessary? Of course not, but it does improve performance I believe. To what extent I cant say. As for the governors, you may be on to something there. Using the governors only may or may not have an effect on the 5th slot. However, thinking that Droid Overclock is probably written with only the D2, and maybe D1, CPU(s) in mind even using the governors may not take it to the account the extra slot.

Only way to find out is to test it out man...make sure u have a way to get ur phone back to good...ik that droid overclock messed w my phone pretty bad...same w set cpu, milestone, and quickclock...all of them were problematic..but, I was trying to overclock, I didn't mess w ONLY the governors/voltage...but...I do need to try droid overclock again anyways to see if there is an experimental module w 5slot cpu...so, I might as well test the waters on the govs and voltages..
My guess is you dont know what your doing. As other said, going off memorey here from last night when I was really tired, every one else had had no problems with any of the OC apps you mentioned.

I've used a few if those and they all worked fine for me. I just prefer Droid Overclock because I can customize my voltages in advanced. If you do try smartass or interactive, let me know how it goes. I don't think they'd mess up the phone, at least not much. I mean all they do is tell your cpu how to intact with usage, they should work on most if not all phones.
Set CPU, Quickclock and Milestone all allow you to manually change the the voltage. As for the governors, I use interactive in Set CPU and have a profile for 300Mhz max with the screen off. They should not mess with your phone. They wont mess up the phone, chris' experience is unique as others have OCed using apps named by Chris with no problems so I have no idea what he is doing exactly to mess up his phone.

Well, the only thing/reason as to y idk they would, is because the d2g is soo different from the d2, and ppl play them off as the same..when they rnt even close.. ..i am not sure where the exact location of the voltage settings r stored in the d2 and d2g, but, just like many other things, they probably arnt in the same locale...but, its worth a shot, and im off today until 6pm, so im going to do some tinkering shortly, ill post my results when I have had the voltage set long enough to find if its a go,or a fail
Enlighten us then, how are they SOOO different? Its the same CPU just overclocked and a slot added. Probably similar to AMD selling triple core CPUs with a 4th core that is unlockable. Think of it like a Core i7 Nahlem(sp?) cpu, there all the same cpu technically just different clock speeds assuming the amount of cores is the same. The GPU is the exact same. Both have 512 MB of RAM and to save money Moto likley used left over RAM chips from the D2 for the D2G. They both use 8GB internal storage, which again Moto likley had left over flash chips for storage from the D2 and utilized them here.

So please enlighten us as to what is so different about the phones? You are the first person I have seen say they are soo different. If it was so different dont you think the real experts here would have already came forth and said other wise? And I dont just mean this thread, I mean this has been posted all over the forums more times then I can count. The phones been around for about 4.5 months now. Dont you think by now some one would have stepped in and said, no these are 2 very different phones with only slight similarities? Yet they havent..that should say something dont you think?

You might find this link useful btw.
http://developer.motorola.com/products/
Compare the D2 and D2G.

Last edited:
OP
J

jt1359

Reaction score
Alright cool. But one question I still need answered, what do the interactive and smartass governors do differently from the ondemand one? I installed and enabled the interactive governor and I'm trying that one now.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
The d2g runs the 3630 cpu from the DX. The specs state they have a 1200 ghz cpu instead though, while it doesn't specify if it is an overclock or design difference, doesn't matter. Stepping done on a 5th step is probably done so the phone doesn't jump to 1200 if it doesn't need to. It isn't required to have the last step, but was most likely thought to help on battery and heat.

Sent from a D2G Dark Angel

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Alright cool. But one question I still need answered, what do the interactive and smartass governors do differently from the ondemand one? I installed and enabled the interactive governor and I'm trying that one now.

I am guessing there all roughly the same thing but some might perform better then the others.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Interqctive seems to work a little better...my only problem is it won't load the clock with angel rom.

chrisl20

Reaction score
Whew...at least someone has my back...damn... ..I can't explain why it (oc'ing) didn't make my phone faster, like it should...it just did...which lead me to believe that losing the extra slot wasn't good for the phone...and if the phones ARNT so different...why can't we use d2 roms, or just flash over the d2 sbf onto the d2g and say to hell w the last slot all together and only use 4 and have anice d2 THAT CAN be global if u want to go back and be a proud d2g user....I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers 4x4...but apparently I did somehow... ...thought this was a place for learning and not personal attacks...we learn from our mistakes...If I've made one...id be happy to learn how to correct it...but just saying" you don't know what your doing obviously" isn't helping anyone except you feel like an alpha male...which im ok w...u can go ahead an b a billy bad@ss for all I care... ..I just want to know why if the phones r soooooo similar like u think, then y r we so limited with a multitude of things? ...and how do you have your oc'd phone setup? What do u use and how exactly? Id like to try it...out of all the thread I have read on overclocking the d2g none of them have increased performance like they should....so I basicly threw in the towel on trying since 1.2ghz should be enough for whatever I need/want....sorry I got u so butthurt guy, didn't mean for my reply to b a personal attack, which required retaliation on your part

chrisl20

Reaction score
...basicly my question breaks down to.. If the 5th slot isn't necessary and can just be tossed to the side with no repercussion at all, whether that be premature and additional wear on the processor or an added sluggishness of the cpu from it trying to access it and not being able to, whatever... ..then why would motorola waste the time and resources to put it in the phone...y wouldn't they just take the easy way out and throw the exact one as the d2 in there to make things simpler... ..just doesn't make sense to me.. ..anyone have some insight?

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Because this is an oc processor from the factory. The 5th step as i stated earlier should help in keeping the battery and the cpu safe. Not forcing it to max out all the time. Motorola was aiming for a device to live with. An oc processor with 4 high steps would kill a battery quick and heat up quick. Device would be trash eventually based on that. Hardware failures more often ending up in tons of replacements. The governors judge how it works inside the os and with apps. Ondemand waits for an order, interactive and smartass monitor more often and may overcompensate to keep everything smooth.

Edit: I checked the option for the experimental kernel patch and it started clocking like I selected. The kernel runs in the top 4 slots. The fifth is going to be your lowest setting and will stay at 300. Better to create a stable preset with tweaked slots on the upper 4 to make use of the permanent step,

Last edited:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Whew...at least someone has my back...damn...
lol some one had your back? On what? Are we going to have a gang war here or something? lol All gunz said was interactive seems a bit better and clock speeds wouldnt load on Angel rom. How does that mean some one has your back?

..I can't explain why it (oc'ing) didn't make my phone faster, like it should...it just did...which lead me to believe that losing the extra slot wasn't good for the phone...
You have never said that they didnt make your phone faster, you said they screwed up your phone. Which is it?

As for the extra slot, I never said it was good or bad for the phone. Just that it was there. Stay focused please.

and if the phones ARNT so different...why can't we use d2 roms, or just flash over the d2 sbf onto the d2g and say to hell w the last slot all together and only use 4 and have anice d2 THAT CAN be global if u want to go back and be a proud d2g user...
Your confusing similar and the same. The CPU thing was explained by Gunz, so no point in being redundant. Then there is the radio. With the different radio likley comes a different driver. The D2 driver probably does not know how to activate the radio.

Now you want to talk about educating, since you stand out with the belief the phones are soo different, I was asking to be educated on how they are so different. How come you failed to educate us on this matter?

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers 4x4...but apparently I did somehow... ...thought this was a place for learning and not personal attacks...
Ironic statement since your the one name calling. If my feathers were ruffled, it would be abundantly clear, with caps profanity, maybe name calling like you did. I just wanted to ask you how the phones were so different and make it clear to others your results were not typical.

we learn from our mistakes...If I've made one...id be happy to learn how to correct it...but just saying" you don't know what your doing obviously" isn't helping anyone except you feel like an alpha male...which im ok w...u can go ahead an b a billy bad@ss for all I care...
Well how would you like me, or any one else, to educate you with the lack of detailed information provided?

As for alpha male comment, your the only one name calling lol. I guess you feel the need to try to put others down by name calling. I guess that makes you feel good about your self.

..I just want to know why if the phones r soooooo similar like u think, then y r we so limited with a multitude of things? .
If there so different, then elaborate. You are the odd man out here thinking they are so different. How are we so limited compared to the D2 because I really wasnt aware that we were.

..and how do you have your oc'd phone setup? What do u use and how exactly? Id like to try it...out of all the thread I have read on overclocking the d2g none of them have increased performance like they should....so I basicly threw in the towel on trying since 1.2ghz should be enough for whatever I need/want....
Who said my phone was OCed? I tried but didnt find the performance benefits to be worth s decrease in already horrible battery life, but the experimental thing mentioned here has me intrigued. If I change my mind about OCing, I will gladly post any info here.

sorry I got u so butthurt guy, didn't mean for my reply to b a personal attack, which required retaliation on your part
I got butthurt? lol considering your the one name calling and the like, you might want to reconsider that statement. If I was out to make something personal, I would have, like you been calling names, maybe insulting your grammar, and things of that nature. So until you see things like that, lets refrain from name calling and personal attacks and keep the debate focused on the phone not each other.

And like I said earlier, educate us on how the phones are so different? Because with all the name calling and personal attacks, that is one thing I never heard. Like you said, we are here to educate, so educate us whats so different?

Last edited: