SmartActions

pksopp

Reaction score
This feature is why I use Moto devices. I've never had any other kind of Android, actually.

I have a conflict that I can't resolve. What I need is a policy precedence setting, where one policy wins if there's a conflict. Here are the two in question:

1) Home ----> Based on WiFi --------> Mute/Vibrate
2) Braven ---> Based on Bluetooth ---> Max Volume, launch Pandora

What I want to happen is...as i flip on the bluetooth speaker as I'm walking in the bathroom, no idea where my phone is, I step in the shower and music starts playing before I get shampoo in my hair. Yes.
What happens instead is.....Pandora launches but is muted, i get annoyed at silence, no idea where my phone is and covered in soap anyway. FML.

Now this is almost 2013 here, clearly i don't want to disable a smart action or turn off wifi before turning on the speaker - that would be lame. I also can't adjust my Home policy to only work when there is no bluethooth connection (like you can with headphone jack). Most importantly, I don't want to be bothered with where my phone is ;)

Open for suggestions.

ohbroncofan

Reaction score
What if you set up Braven to only recognize the Bluetooth speaker? Of course you would have to leave Bluetooth and wifi on whenever you are home.

OP
pksopp

pksopp

Reaction score
What if you set up Braven to only recognize the Bluetooth speaker? Of course you would have to leave Bluetooth and wifi on whenever you are home.

Actually, that's exactly how it is set up. Wifi and Bluetooth and everything else are always on, so the trouble is when that speaker is picked up, wifi is still connected and for some reason I can't make the Braven policy more important than Home (which us triggered by wifi and mutes the phone..

ohbroncofan

Reaction score
You could set it up to turn wifi off when connected to the speaker but then you would be using your data from Verizon.

OP
pksopp

pksopp

Reaction score
You could set it up to turn wifi off when connected to the speaker but then you would be using your data from Verizon.

interesting idea, not sure i'd care about the 4g usage either....but the issue is how do i get wifi back on automatically? there's no option to do anything when there's no bluetooth connection :(

Moto? Lil Help?

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
Wifi should turn back on automatically when Braven is not active.

Just like he said, SmartActions seems to make items like GPS and Wifi turn on when a SmartAction is triggered (if its in the events to occur). Then, when the SmartAction is over, based on leaving a location or a certain time occurring, or in your case, no bluetooth connected, then the Wifi or GPS should go back to the state it was in before the trigger.

OP
pksopp

pksopp

Reaction score
Just like he said, SmartActions seems to make items like GPS and Wifi turn on when a SmartAction is triggered (if its in the events to occur). Then, when the SmartAction is over, based on leaving a location or a certain time occurring, or in your case, no bluetooth connected, then the Wifi or GPS should go back to the state it was in before the trigger.

Thanks, guys. Tried a couple of different settings with WiFi and GPS to disable both when the BT speaker connected, but GPA and WiFi do not re-enable themselves once the BT connection is severed :(
However, it seems that I am getting the functionality I want after making a change to Braven, undoing the change and resaving - such that Braven is the most recently saved Smart Action. The music is playing and the phone is not muting again til I turn the speaker off, so woohoo!

Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, but i'm done messing with it. :biggrin:

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
That does make sense. I would have figured rearranging them, either by way of priority if thats possible in SmartActions, or by just saving/creating them in various orders, would have given you the priority you needed. I know that when I created a SmartAction to turn on GPS at a certain time, after that tirme period is over, the GPS would turn off. I use Tasker for most of my stuff. I wanted it to adjust volumes during a specific weekly meeting on Monday evenings. The location was accurate with WiFi (which I leave on and use for locations like work and home) but it takes a while once I leave for it to show that I am no longer there. However, GPS is much more accurate and Tasker can use that for location as well, whereas SmartActions will only go based on cell towers and WiFi. Tasker is not allowed to turn on or off certain things like GPS because it requires manual user input. The OS does not allow third party apps to do that. However, SmartActions can. So To make the location more accurate for that specific meeting. I have set up a SmartAction to turn on GPS at 4:30 and off at 6:30. The meeting is from 5:00 to 6:00. I have Tasker set to adjust my volumes between 4:55 and 6:10 when at that location. I set the location to be detected by GPS but with SmartActions, my GPS doesnt have to be on all day or week. It goes on at 4:30 on Monday and back off at 6:30. So thats why I figured it would work for you.