SmartActions tutorials?

RAZRmax

Reaction score
I'm really interested in how to use SmartActions to control how my phone operates. Any good tutorials anyone would recommend?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm really interested in how to use SmartActions to control how my phone operates. Any good tutorials anyone would recommend?

Lots of good ones on Youtube [video=youtube;Q9QNG4BYkUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9QNG4BYkUs[/video].

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Also, Motorola has this [video=youtube;uYyeOjykxsY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYyeOjykxsY"]DROID RAZR by MOTOROLA: Smart Actions App Setup - YouTube[/video].

Also [video=youtube;gtlwiT9JACY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtlwiT9JACY[/video]

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Eww, thanks FoxKat! This is extremely helpful. Every time I try to set up a smart action, it doesn't work quite like I want it. Time to go play w smart actions again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Hmm... Ok I am setting one up but the Location trigger can't tell when I am across the street from my house at the bar, or at my house (about 150' away). Is there another trigger I can use or can I trigger when the bar's wifi comes into range.

Oh I did find a wifi connection here and used that for a trigger. Now does that mean I need to leave wifi on all the time? Not crazy about that idea

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hmm... Ok I am setting one up but the Location trigger can't tell when I am across the street from my house at the bar, or at my house (about 150' away). Is there another trigger I can use or can I trigger when the bar's wifi comes into range.

Oh I did find a wifi connection here and used that for a trigger. Now does that mean I need to leave wifi on all the time? Not crazy about that idea

Well, you answered your own first question with the suggestion I had for you. As for the 2nd question, even with location trigger, the phone is going to be somewhat "fuzzy" with its logic about where you are. To avoid leaving WIFI on all the time, install Verizon WIFI Auto On. It allows you to set up locations with known WIFI availability and then the WIFI is triggered on automatically. Unfortunately I don't think it is going to give you the precision you want either.

You can try AutomateIt. I know that one lets you specify the radius of the location via GPS (of course which means GPS needs to be on), and then you can position the center point where you want. With that tool, I could get it to recognize whether I was in the family room (where WIFI is strong), or in my bedroom (where WIFI was non-existent), and turn it on or off accordingly. Now that I've relocated the antenna to a central location, I no longer need such precision and the Verizon utility works perfectly for me and I don't need to keep GPS on all the time.

Perhaps a bridge can be developed between the two by using Smart Actions to start AutomateIt once WIFI is turned on by WIFI Auto On, then AutomateIt can turn on GPS, turn off WIFI Auto On, and then it can trigger when WIFI should be on or not with its greater accuracy via GPS and precision. It's a lot of steps, but it seems like it could be done. Of course you'd need to create a reverse of that to keep things working the way you want.

Good luck. :biggrin:

Last edited:

pookie

Reaction score
I tried the Verizon Auto On app for the wifi and it didn't work. My Smart Actions has a trigger to send a text to my gf when I am on my home wifi. No matter what direction I come in from I am almost a mile away when it sends the text. When my gf gets the text she knows I am 2 1/2 minutes away. Just enough time for her other bf to get out the back window. ;-)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I tried the Verizon Auto On app for the wifi and it didn't work. My Smart Actions has a trigger to send a text to my gf when I am on my home wifi. No matter what direction I come in from I am almost a mile away when it sends the text. When my gf gets the text she knows I am 2 1/2 minutes away. Just enough time for her other bf to get out the back window. ;-)

Funny, that's what my wife said too! :icon_eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Verizon app uses the cell towers for location. Make sure you have "Verizon location services" checked in the phones settings.

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

Caesars

Reaction score
I also had issues with that combination of apps,, the location part worked but often times the delay was terrible :( . It also had problems reconnecting cellular data for some reason, ill have to try it again, I haven't attempted it since the lady ota.