Smart Phone Without Data Plan?

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Then why not ditch Verizon and go prepaid. I believe there are prepaid carriers that will let her have a smartphone sans the data.

I don't want to switch right now...and actually, I can't. I just re-upped last June with a Rezound for 2 years with unlimited data. I'm happy, for now.
She could always switch...but that would involve us no longer needing a family plan, so I wonder how that would work? She isn't under contract...or at least she won't be next month.
What if she leaves? How will that effect the plan I am on? My plan is to stick with this phone as long as I can, and then buy my phones outright to keep the unlimited data and not go to tiered.
I imagine her being on prepaid AND me being on Verizon may have us paying more overall...not sure.

Not having data isn't a huge deal to her...it's just something that would be nice for her to be able to do around the house.
She's actually vehemently anti-smartphone because of the extra charges...well, that and the fact she gets really annoyed when she sees people spending a lot of time buried in their phones.
She has issues. :biggrin:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I do hope that stupid rule changes. I can enjoy my Nexus without data and everywhere I go has Wifi. It's a bit more cumbersome to have multiple wifi networks to connect to everytime, but definitely worth the $30/mo I'd save.

For now they need to go back to keeping unlimited first.

Now if they ever do drop this dumb rule, I think the prices of subsidized phones will go up, naturally. How much it goes up, who knows. Then again who knows if they'll ever drop that smartphone rule.

They're never going to drop the "dumb" rule. No other carrier does it, so why would/should verizon? Plus, then what's the point of owning a smart phone? Might as well just own a PDA or one of those Android media players. Or, go prepaid. You can use PagePlus (runs on Verizon's network), and pay $39.95/month (or another plan) for unlimited talk n text. Hell, they even throw in 100MB of data.

There are ways around this, and if you don't like it then leave. Complaining isn't going to get you anywhere.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
They're never going to drop the "dumb" rule. No other carrier does it, so why would/should verizon?
Simple. Because customers would like the option.

Plus, then what's the point of owning a smart phone?
Because some folks may only want data on their phone when at home.

Might as well just own a PDA or one of those Android media players. Or, go prepaid. You can use PagePlus (runs on Verizon's network), and pay $39.95/month (or another plan) for unlimited talk n text. Hell, they even throw in 100MB of data.
Ohhhh....100mb of data. Wow. I could download a couple dozen photos. Sign me up.

There are ways around this, and if you don't like it then leave. Complaining isn't going to get you anywhere.
Since when? Complaining is what starts the ball rolling to get all kinds of things done in this country.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Ohhhh....100mb of data. Wow. I could download a couple dozen photos. Sign me up.

You're the one who wanted to have a smart phone WITHOUT data. Why are you complaining about 100MB not being enough?

Since when? Complaining is what starts the ball rolling to get all kinds of things done in this country.

People have been "complaining" about this for years. Like 2006/2007. Obviously, the ball ain't rolling far.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They're never going to drop the "dumb" rule. No other carrier does it, so why would/should verizon? Plus, then what's the point of owning a smart phone? Might as well just own a PDA or one of those Android media players. Or, go prepaid. You can use PagePlus (runs on Verizon's network), and pay $39.95/month (or another plan) for unlimited talk n text. Hell, they even throw in 100MB of data.

It was an option years ago, it was on AT&T anyway. I was perfectly happy with my AT&T Tilt without a data plan as wifi everywhere was picking up then, and this was 5 or 6 years ago. Nowadays, Wifi is practically everywhere.

So yes it can change, will it? I highly highly doubt it, but it is still possible.

I love my 4g LTE and would hate to give it up as it's fast and convenient. For $30/mo for what I get I have to say it's not too bad of a deal, but the option to get a smartphone without the mandatory data plan would be a nice option again.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The answer is simple. Verizon sells these smart phones to you at a loss. If they can't sign you up for a data plan, what incentive do they have? I may be incorrect but I believe they actually make money off the phones that require no data plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
You're the one who wanted to have a smart phone WITHOUT data. Why are you complaining about 100MB?
It's not that I don't want data, I just want the option to only use data on WIFI. (and it's not me personally...it's my wife, who gets enraged about being nickel and dimed by providers)

People have been "complaining" about this for years. Like 2006/2007. Obviously, the ball ain't rolling far.
Smart phones weren't near as popular in 2006 as they are today. Hell...hardly anyone had one.
Give it a few more years. It will happen. Competition amongst providers, nearly everyone having one by 2015 or so, and the fact customers would love the option...it will happen.

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
The answer is simple. Verizon sells these smart phones to you at a loss. If they can't sign you up for a data plan, what incentive do they have? I may be incorrect but I believe they actually make money off the phones that require no data plan.

Well then they'd have to up the price of the phones for those that opt out of the monthly data plan.
The phones don't cost $1000, which is about what you end up paying if buying a phone for $199, and also paying $30/month for data for 2 years.

Hell, if you buy a phone outright from Verizon for $700, you should be able to opt out of the data plans.
Personally, I wouldn't do this as I use my data far too much when I'm on the go, in the car, etc. But I can see where a lot of folks would like to do this.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well then they'd have to up the price of the phones for those that opt out of the monthly data plan.
The phones don't cost $1000, which is about what you end up paying if buying a phone for $199, and also paying $30/month for data for 2 years.

Hell, if you buy a phone outright from Verizon for $700, you should be able to opt out of the data plans.
Personally, I wouldn't do this as I use my data far too much when I'm on the go, in the car, etc. But I can see where a lot of folks would like to do this.

The benefit of buying your phone at retail allows you to avoid 2 year contracts and carrier hop however you like. The only carrier that gives you a true benefit on your monthly bill for having a retail phone is T Mobile. Unfortunately, its the carriers rules we have to play by even if we bought the phone at full price. Doing so allows you to leave if you don't like the carrier's rules though.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It's not that I don't want data, I just want the option to only use data on WIFI. (and it's not me personally...it's my wife, who gets enraged about being nickel and dimed by providers)

Then leave. If Verizon isn't fulfilling what you want from a carrier then leave. There are PLENTY of prepaid options that WILL allow you to do what you want. They're cheaper, and operate on the big guys networks.

That's what I'm trying to tell you. You're here acting like you're somehow bonded to verizon, when in fact you aren't. Yeah, you signed a contract. Then pay the ETF. The money you'll save by going prepaid will EASILY cover the ETF. Why wait years for something that you are obviously passionate about to happen, when you can get it now AND save money?

OP
Xander Crews

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Then leave. If Verizon isn't fulfilling what you want from a carrier then leave. There are PLENTY of prepaid options that WILL allow you to do what you want. They're cheaper, and operate on the big guys networks.

That's what I'm trying to tell you. You're here acting like you're somehow bonded to verizon, when in fact you aren't. Yeah, you signed a contract. Then pay the ETF. The money you'll save by going prepaid will EASILY cover the ETF. Why wait years for something that you are obviously passionate about to happen, when you can get it now AND save money?

Dude, settle down.
As I already mentioned before, personally, I'm quite happy with what I have with Verizon right now. I have unlimited data, good 4G coverage where we live, and I have a brand new Rezound, which I love. And I plan on keeping my Rezound for as long as I can, and then buying a phone outright to keep my unlimited data.
My setup wouldn't work for a prepaid plan. I work in IT, I'm on my phone a lot and I use a lot of data and I need a beefy phone. So thanks, but no thanks. That may work for my wife, and we may go that route for her...we'll see.

My entire point was, it would be a nice option FOR MY WIFE'S PHONE. NOT MINE. She doesn't give two craps about using data outside the home. But at home, it would be a nice option.

And God forbid someone desire another option or want more from their provider. How dare I suggest such a thing!

Besides, since when did someone have to be 100% in love with their provider or else someone will tell them to GTFO? :icon_rolleyes:

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I dont think its possible with Verizon becuase when you activate the phone on their network they know exactly what phone you're using.
Just use the D2 as a wifi device. If you want to use a smartphone on a network without having a data plan i think you'll have to go to either at&t or t-mobile since you can just get one of their cheapy pre paid phones and put the sim card in a gsm android phone.