1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Smart Phone Flat Surfaces, A Thing Of The Past

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by SEGA, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SEGA

SEGA New Member

Tactus Technology is showcasing its next-gen mobile tactile tech at SID Display Week 2012 in Boston.

A Tactus spokesperson explained to TG Daily that their layer panel is the "world’s first" deformable tactile surface capable of creating dynamic physical buttons that users will actually see & feel before they enter data into their device. 

How it works:

The Tactile Layer panel is flat, transparent, dynamic, and adds no extra thickness to the standard touchscreen display since it replaces a layer of the already existing display stack, but when triggered they layer transforms the surface to form buttons and/or shapes with specific height, size and firmness that appear on the surface of the screen. You will physically feel the buttons as if they were keys on a keyboard.

Just think of texting with a keyboard, and then when switching to a game, the screen pops up a D-Pad and A-B buttons.

Via: TG Daily
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. resinis

resinis New Member

well there goes the mojo for gorilla glass. i can only imagine how easily tactus scratches. and i would guess that screen protector films are out of the question too. we shall see i guess.

Edit: Deleted unnecessary comment.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
  3. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Very interesting. Definitely won't have a glass front.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.
  4. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Possibly a willow variant?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  5. FlamingFists

FlamingFists New Member

i don't like this :( i'm a bit clumsy so this is not for me. i feel like i can break it anytime.
  6. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

If its a willow glass variant, likely a polymer of some form, it should have break resistant properties.... but ya never know.

As many screen breaks as there is, you would hope that strength would be a concern.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
  7. resinis

resinis New Member

dont get me wrong though. even if this tech doesnt pan out for cellphone use (most likely if nothing else because its not durable enough), this stuff has a MILLION other applications for it. its going to be a pretty big deal, im sure of it.
  8. FlamingFists

FlamingFists New Member

hmm... you got a point there. :)
Search tags for this page

smart phone polymer surface