Small smartphones (like Galaxy s4 mini)?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If there's no upgrade on her plan, then maybe get her a used 1st gen Moto X?

Should fit right in that "mini" preference and it still is a very good phone today.
Will keep that in mind. Tried to convince her to take my s4 when the note gets here, but that slight increase in size doesn't work for her.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Erikbal

Reaction score
My mom has the s4 mini and she really likes it. It is her first smart phone though so she doesn't have much else to compare it to.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My mom has the s4 mini and she really likes it. It is her first smart phone though so she doesn't have much else to compare it to.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
The comparison is what'll kill her. I warned her about the 720p (still not horrible) & 8gb of on-board storage in the s4 mini & she didn't like that idea.

Trying to make sure she understands the compromise she's making if she goes too small after the s3.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The sad thing is that most mini phones are underpowered compared to their predecessors. On Verizon I really can not point to a small phone worth being stuck on a 2yr contract for. Maybe the Z3 compact

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The sad thing is that most mini phones are underpowered compared to their predecessors. On Verizon I really can not point to a small phone worth being stuck on a 2yr contract for. Maybe the Z3 compact
Well, now that we've clarified that she'd be ok with something CLOSE to the size of her s3, we might have a bit better luck. She's nowhere near the kind of user I am, but she's been complaining about lag in the s3, so she DOES notice some. Haha

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Is the z3 compact coming to Verizon? I know there are rumors of the z3 coming as a variant, but nothing about the compact.

I'd totally take the z3 compact over my s4 right now. That is one powerhouse of a "mini" phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is the z3 compact coming to Verizon? I know there are rumors of the z3 coming as a variant, but nothing about the compact.

I'd totally take the z3 compact over my s4 right now. That is one powerhouse of a "mini" phone.
I thought I read rumors but could not verify.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I thought I read rumors but could not verify.
I only seen rumors of the z3 coming eventually, as the z3v or something. Didn't read any about a compact. Besides reading rumors about phones on Verizon outside of the Droid lineup can be nothing but false hope, so I try not to get too excited about it. Especially it being a Sony phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I like the phone, but my goodness did they take away from the looks of the original.

Here's a good video comparison of the z3 to the z3v. I still want it, but a bit disappointed it's a bulkier version.