Small fingers cause BIG problem!

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by amedic, Mar 31, 2010.

1. amedic

amedic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My 1 y/o grand-daughter found my Droid amusing, without my knowledge.
    When my son discovered she had it, he took it away and gave it back to me HOWEVER,
    my email now will not connect, and all apps are very slow to respond. sometimes waiting up to 40-50 seconds to load.
    I have no idea what happened.
    Am I facing a hard reset?
    I welcome all answers and suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +30
    did powering it off fix anything?

3. 91jolson

91jolson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont suppose you are rooted and she managed to underclock your phone down or something?

4. Xerozix

Xerozix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try using a task manager to see what's running. Or go into settings>applications>manage applications then menu>filter>running

Have you tried resetting?

5. Sweettooth

Sweettooth Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I think she hacked it and uploaded a memory consuming module into the main system folder, just in time for April Fools Day.

Droid does...find itself helpless against 1 year old girls. ;)

6. amedic

amedic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bad fingers, still bad phone

Thanks for the replies!
    I think Sweettooth might be right, because I'm not rooted, I've checked Task Manager and nothing is out of the ordinary. I've powered off, removed the battery, did a little dance, made a little love, got down last night, got back up and still no change.
    The speed of the phone could be compared to trying to do something on a laptop while you are running an antivirus program at the same time. I receive a lot of "force close or wait" notices when executing something.
    I would pull out my hair, but since I shave my head, it just looks silly.

Xerozix, I had been using 'Running services' to take a look at what was running. I figured out that wasn't showing everything. I just followed your directions and
    WHOA!, there's a TON of things whirring around inside my Droid. How, exactly, do I stop them all, and is there a way to keep things from running if I don't want them to? Hope this helps my email connection too.

7. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you happen to check to see if she might have managed to download something new? Like a new app? (I know it's a stretch, but...) Apps can cause a lot of the symptoms you're describing. Did you install any virus software? - you don't need it and they are known to cause these same issues.

If all else fails, I'd back up your apps and do a factory reset. You'll be starting over, but the Market will have anything you've purchased once you add your GMail account back in.

There is really no need for a task killer because Android handles the closing of applications very well on its own. You may very well have an application that is causing the problem. It may also be likely that you will slow your system down...most task killers install services that run continually.....and Android reuses objects when available to eliminate the overhead of creating new objects. Shutting down apps on your own may interfere or hinder the system from running efficiently.

That's all I can think of. See what you can find, and if you can remember the order that you installed them, start uninstalling apps to see if there's a difference.