Small crack on home button

Krust4

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Having a black S7(non-edge). Small crack in the home button at an edge. Was there from DAY 1 I guess. Much less noticeable in the black color.
Will it be worse overtime?
Will it render the fingerprint scanner unusable?
home button crack.jpg

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Brand new device, I would get a new one. That's unacceptable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Agreed. It looks like the button is chipped along that edge, perhaps occurring during assembly, or dropped prior to packaging or. Was the new phone outof your sight at time of purchase, like during being set up by the dealer?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Sheryl John

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 (Duos)
That's pretty bad.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
[quote uid=101037 name="Mustang02" post=2682252]Brand new device, I would get a new one. That's unacceptable.<br /><br />Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
<br /><br />[quote uid=54290 name="FoxKat" post=2682259]Agreed. It looks like the button is chipped along that edge, perhaps occurring during assembly, or dropped prior to packaging or. Was the new phone outof your sight at time of purchase, like during being set up by the dealer?<br /><br />Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]<br /><br />It was during the exam time I bought this device. Moreover with the excitement I didn't notice this issue within the replacement period. Also it kinda feels weird for me to ask for a replacement on this silly issue(according to seller) since they may ask 'what if this damage happened after you unboxed?'. I'm pretty sure this was not caused by me. Such an impact on the glass could be only due to a drop which I didn't do.[/QUOTE]

If the button is actually glass to facilitate fingerprint reading, then I would insist on a replacement. Glass when chipped along edges sets up microscopic stress fractures which can at any time and either with or without external forces or temperature changes suddenly fail catastrophically and crack across the entire width and/or length.

Professional window glass cutters will often either sand or even polish freshly cut glass edges to prevent such failures. Any rough edges on glass are undesirable for these reasons.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I agree with everyone here ... That is not acceptable and Samsung should replace either the home button or device due to this defect.

Sent from the Edge!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Agree with what everyone else posted. The longer you wait the harder it will be as they will try and claim user damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OP
K

Krust4

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
<br /><br />[quote uid=54290 name="FoxKat" post=2682259]Agreed. It looks like the button is chipped along that edge, perhaps occurring during assembly, or dropped prior to packaging or. Was the new phone outof your sight at time of purchase, like during being set up by the dealer?<br /><br />Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

If the button is actually glass to facilitate fingerprint reading, then I would insist on a replacement. Glass when chipped along edges sets up microscopic stress fractures which can at any time and either with or without external forces or temperature changes suddenly fail catastrophically and crack across the entire width and/or length.

Professional window glass cutters will often either sand or even polish freshly cut glass edges to prevent such failures. Any rough edges on glass are undesirable for these reasons.

I agree with everyone here ... That is not acceptable and Samsung should replace either the home button or device due to this defect.

Sent from the Edge!

Agree with what everyone else posted. The longer you wait the harder it will be as they will try and claim user damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Should be a manufacturing defect that I didn't notice out of the box. No way this could happen without dropping the phone or any other strong impact which I'm sure I haven't done. Anyway since the exchange period is over there is no use of crying over spilt milk.

Even if I had found this issue within the replacement period or even on the same day of unboxing itself there is a chance that they will try their best to not give me replacement based on my previous experience with my Galaxy S3 which had a gap between back cover and the main body at the top edge for which they laughed at me when asked for a replacement and denied my claim. They only way to prove that this was indeed a manufacturing defect is to record the unboxing of the product and if there is anything wrong with the unit show it in the video right way, LOL, otherwise they won't believe my claim. I've seen people in forums who had replaced thrice or even five times. But things aren't so easy at my place.

It's been almost 1 month from the date of purchase. I contacted Samsung, and they are telling that physical damages aren't covered in warranty and if in case it's a manufacturing defect they told me to approach any service center to inspect. I heavily doubt whether they will believe me. Should I give it a try? What do you guys say?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I believe it's worthy of your efforts. When you purchase something new, you deserve to have any damage be of your own doing. In other words it should be flawless when it hits your hands.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately you have an uphill battle ahead of you. ANY physical damage voids the warranty and there is no way for you to prove that you did not cause this to happen.
That being said, I would still try. If this is a manufacturing defect there will more than likely be others who have the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
K

Krust4

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Unfortunately you have an uphill battle ahead of you. ANY physical damage voids the warranty and there is no way for you to prove that you did not cause this to happen.
That being said, I would still try. If this is a manufacturing defect there will more than likely be others who have the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Yeah I agree. There is one more thread based on a similar problem I saw here Paint on home button is peeling. Anyone else have this issue? - Page 3 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com.

Anyway I'm in a confusion whether to go and get it repaired by Samsung or not. Because once when I approached Samsung's approved service centre (@ 2014) when my Galaxy S3 had a minor hardware issue (for the reason I quoted in one of my post) after replacement period. A person I closely know there (one of the repair guys) advised not to better give it for repair for this silly issue to any Samsung service centers and to better cover it with a case/cover since they were kind of bad at repairing and that they might mess up something else. So I'm kind of in a confusion in the case of my GS7's home button issue. What do you guys say?
Should I go for warranty repair?
Most of all, Will it cause to loose water-proofing?

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
No way was that caused by an owner. To me this is pretty clearly a production issue. Not disputing what Jackie said because they might still try to pull some crap on you over this, but no way could that button get damaged without other damage to the phone.

Wolveslovemee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Edge S7
That is part of the paint that covers the home button peeling. It has happened on my phone also. I sent it via UPS to Plano,Texas this weekend to see what they would do. I am only praying now that they do not cause any further damage to the button or anything else. :p

If anyone has sent their phone for this issue within warranty Id be very interested to know what they said about it! If they are going to charge me Ill just ask for them to send it back. Not paying for a paint chip on a home button when I dont even know why they painted it to begin with.