SM Updater 2.0.3 problems

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by windex, Feb 16, 2010.

1. windex

windex New Member

Did the root with the SMUpdater this weekend after reading a lot 'bout rooting and what-not. I decided to take the lazy way out, what can I say?

Worked "OK" over the weekend - I noticed the phone was a bit slower but I accepted that to get some of the neat features.

Today though, there was a problem that got out of control. I was on the telephone with my supervisor while I was in the field. While talking to him about something quite important my phone hungup on him and locked up. I had to use a co-worker's phone to finish the conversation. When I had time, I removed the battery from my 'droid and rebooted it.

Everything seemed fine until an hour later when a co-worker tried to call me 3 times. All 3 times my phone never ringed - instead it sent the caller to voice-mail like my phone was not on. I rebooted the phone and was able to receive phone calls again. I thought that was the end of my problems... nope.

About 5 min later the phone started rebooting, constantly. I tried pulling the battery and it started rebooting again. It would boot to the unlock screen and then reboot as I was trying to unlock... or if I didn't try to unlock it would just reboot. Keep in mind I had not installed ANY programs 48 hours prior to this event.

Being that I am required to have a working cell phone on me.... I used the restore feature to restore my phone to the stock 2.0.1 image, although it was still rooted. Unfortunately this means I lost a few features - including 2 that I desperately miss.
    Dictation for text fields (IE: Text Messages.... this was huge for me) and the wireless tether program...

Has anyone else experienced the constant reboot problem? My droid was NOT over clocked..... now that it's back on the stock image it runs noticeably faster with better response time vs the modified image that came with the flash.

Also, if anyone can help.... I really want the dictation for text messages back :icon_ devil:
  2. joshua117

joshua117 New Member

sorry to hear about your problems, i had a few issues with 2.0.3 (not as bad as what you describe) if your still wanting to use their rom they have 2.0.5 out (which i am running right now and its great!). it will have the features that your missing, they did take out the 2.1 launcher but not a big deal. also i would recommend oc. that will take care of any lagging you are experiencing. i haven't noticed any real loss of battery life vs stock. well i hope this helps if you have any questions just let us know.
  3. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I have to second giving 2.0.5 a shot. 2.0.3 seemed to be a mixed back of issues/non-issues for people.

I think 2.0.5 is much more stable. I also agree that if you are going to run a custom ROM that requires more juice, and since you are rooting anyways, to OC a bit. I'm running at 700 and I'm not having ANY issues.

Just curious: If you are required to have a phone for work, why are you putting experimental items onto it? lol Seems silly.
  4. windex

windex New Member

I was a computer nerd for 12 years professionally prior to entering my current line of work. I started with windows mobile phones and "voiding warranties" back when windows based phones first came out...... it was the only logical to do the same when I got the droid.... :)

My windows mobile phones were very stable with custom roms.... even when running OS's that hadn't been released by the vendors yet.

As far as trying the 2.0.5 ... I'm a bit surprised that so many updates are released for a ROM..... makes me wonder how long things are tested prior to release :icon_eek: