Sluggish Performance on 5.2 After a Few Weeks

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by dboss007, Apr 23, 2011.

1. dboss007

dboss007 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm starting to experience some really sluggish performance on 5.2 after running it since it was released. I've experienced this before on Chevy's 4.91 ROM as well, but was always able to fix those issues by clearing my data partition and then just restoring my apps through Titanium. The partition clear seems to delete something within /data that is causing my performance issues. I've looked through my apps and checked their data sizes and there aren't any apps that are overly large so I don't believe its an issue with the app sizes. I've used Chevy's scripts to clear my cache, his task killer script, and to clear my dalvik-cache. None of those seem to help.

As a test I created a Nandroid backup and then cleared my data, and restored certain apps using Titanium again which really seemed to speed up my phone greatly and ending up freeing about 15-20 MB's of space within /data. I would have just gone this route, but I had to restore because after wiping /data I was getting FC's like crazy with the stupid Market and I couldn't get that fixed. I guess my question is, is there possibly a log somewhere that's running that I can clear or a folder within /data accumulating a large file? As a note, I have logging turned off, so I'm guessing that's not it but I really don't know. I would just love to find what's causing my slowdowns...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Iv had the same problem but mine lasts for only a couple hours, than all of a sudden its perfectly fine. Its very random in the way that for like an hour it sucks. Than all of a sudden its perfectly fine....

Any ideas anyone?

Moto Droid / S.S. 5.2

3. undroid

undroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Happened to me when compcache was enabled. I disabled it and voila everything is fast again.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

4. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay Member

Ratings:
    +1

5. dboss007

dboss007 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually had the issues prior to compcache being enabled on 4.91 so I don't believe that was my issue. However, I believe I was able to find the problem.

I found a folder called dropbox within /data/system/ and this folder had A LOT of files in it and I noticed some of the files in it were Tombstone files (log files). I figured, what the hell I'll move it to my SD Card and see what happens. Well, I noticed an immediate performance improvement. With this new information, I went ahead and googled 'Android Dropbox Tombstone' and stumbled upon this thread here at XDA. It looks like Chevy's turn logging off option doesn't truly turn off all of the logging within Android but only the logging under the /data/tombstones folder.

Anyways, after making the folders Data/System/Dropbox and Data/System/UsageStats read-only based on that thread my performance improvement has been pretty remarkable and I haven't noticed any negative affects. I'd definitely suggest that Chevy look into this for 5.3. It should really reduce lag over the long-term. :)

Edit: One note, I made this change using Root Explorer and those changes seem to get overwritten after a reboot. Would be nice to make this a permanent setting...

6. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Nice write up. I try to find any kinda tweaks I can find to keep this OG Droid running as best as it can. Speaking of crazy files, check out this one I had a little bit ago.. a 1.5gig file?? [​IMG]

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

7. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I just rebooted after making the changes in Root Explorer and all 3 of the folders still seem to be read-only. But of course all of the files inside the folders still have all their original permissions. By any chance did you end up deleting all of the files in all 3 of those folders?

8. dboss007

dboss007 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree... I just rebooted again related to a misbehaving app and it does look like the changes held. I'm not sure why they were reset overnight. Guess I'll just have to watch it. Anyways, yes I ended up deleting the files in all 3 of those folders. No issues whatsoever.

BTW... If you run Chevy's Clear cache script, I believe that file you mentioned within cache would be deleted.

9. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Chevy's clear cache script? The one in Chevy's tools/options/task killer that frees up memory from compcache? Yea I run that a couple times a day actually. I deleted that file awhile ago using root explorer. Just some kind of anomaly I guess. Thanks again for the tips on setting those folders to read-only. Hopefully it improves performance and keeps it that way.

10. dboss007

dboss007 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    He actually has a specific script under 'Scripts' called Clear Cache Partition right below his Clear Dalvik-Cache script. I don't believe his task killer option touches the cache partition, but I'm not positive on that.

11. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh yea my mistake. I didn't try that, I just did it manually through rooot explorer.

12. urisbigb

urisbigb New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed mine was running pretty sluggish too, and I just disabled Compcahe, and that seemed to work for now, home page loads instantly now instead of one icon at a time! Might just be what was causing the slowdown

13. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Added for 5.3 - thx!

Search tags for this page

deleting tombstones on android

disable tombstone android

how do you get to the tombstone file on android x

usagestats folder android root