slow running nexus

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
I have the galaxy nexus from verizon,! WHen I first got it about a week ago it ran OK. Now it runs slow and chopping, and keeps losing 3G service, closes my apps well I em in them. Keyboard keeps freezing and chopping up... face book loads slow and when it does load it all blurry for about 5 seconds. Anyone else having these problems?

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Do you have alot of apps downloaded? I've noticed when I had alot of apps downloaded it felt like my phone had slowed down a bit.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
How often do you restart? Sometimes a reboot is just what the phone needs

nleksan

Reaction score
I find that using SMSBackup+ to backup all of my texts/call-log about once a week (500-1000 backed-up items per week) and deleting them, after running the Personalization for Swiftkey3, helps. Having 20 different text threads open with 200-500 messages each really adds up! Plus, it sends them to you via an email to your Gmail account, so you will have every text/call ever sent/made!

Another is to make sure that you clear your cache regularly enough for "cache-hungry" apps: Browser, Gmail, Yahoo!Mail, Play Store, etc. I do this probably once every day or two, and it clears ~35-70MB of data each time. If I go a week, it's well into the hundreds of MB's (I use my phone a lot).

Try downloading ROM Toolbox, an EXCELLENT app and one that I now cannot live without. I am not sure which features work without root, or if any, but it's worth rooting your phone just for this app! You can manage your apps MUCH more carefully/closely than with just the Android Settings - Apps menu, and even run any operation in batch mode to save time.

Under "Settings - Apps - Running Apps" go ahead and force-close anything you don't need, so long as you know what it is.

Disable any apps (i.e. system apps) that you don't use, so long as you know what they are... This would be things like Books, Movies, Voice Search, etc.

DISABLE "DRM CONTENT PROTECTED STORAGE"

Make sure your camera isn't constantly running in the background!

And remember to reboot your phone 2-3x/week. It only takes a minute, and it is the easiest, quickest way to fix any ills your phone may be suffering.

*Note: If you have a lot of browser tabs open, and don't want to lose them all when you reboot, make sure that you don't clear the cache and them reboot immediately after (you have to go in and reload each tab); also, don't reboot and them immediately clear Browser Cache, instead open the Browser (which will restore the previous tabs) and once everything is loaded, then clear cache. I hope this saves you some headaches, it took me a few angry mistakes before figuring out that I am, indeed, an idiot haha.

OP
DROID MONSTER

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
I don't have very many apps installed, I have like 27GB left on it ,,, I clear cache a lot on the apps. And I always kill my apps,,, but it still runs choppy , and slow,,, it will even knock me out of a app at times

steveil

Reaction score
I find that using SMSBackup+ to backup all of my texts/call-log about once a week (500-1000 backed-up items per week) and deleting them, after running the Personalization for Swiftkey3, helps. Having 20 different text threads open with 200-500 messages each really adds up! Plus, it sends them to you via an email to your Gmail account, so you will have every text/call ever sent/made!

Another is to make sure that you clear your cache regularly enough for "cache-hungry" apps: Browser, Gmail, Yahoo!Mail, Play Store, etc. I do this probably once every day or two, and it clears ~35-70MB of data each time. If I go a week, it's well into the hundreds of MB's (I use my phone a lot).

Try downloading ROM Toolbox, an EXCELLENT app and one that I now cannot live without. I am not sure which features work without root, or if any, but it's worth rooting your phone just for this app! You can manage your apps MUCH more carefully/closely than with just the Android Settings - Apps menu, and even run any operation in batch mode to save time.

Under "Settings - Apps - Running Apps" go ahead and force-close anything you don't need, so long as you know what it is.

Disable any apps (i.e. system apps) that you don't use, so long as you know what they are... This would be things like Books, Movies, Voice Search, etc.

DISABLE "DRM CONTENT PROTECTED STORAGE"

Make sure your camera isn't constantly running in the background!

And remember to reboot your phone 2-3x/week. It only takes a minute, and it is the easiest, quickest way to fix any ills your phone may be suffering.

*Note: If you have a lot of browser tabs open, and don't want to lose them all when you reboot, make sure that you don't clear the cache and them reboot immediately after (you have to go in and reload each tab); also, don't reboot and them immediately clear Browser Cache, instead open the Browser (which will restore the previous tabs) and once everything is loaded, then clear cache. I hope this saves you some headaches, it took me a few angry mistakes before figuring out that I am, indeed, an idiot haha.

Where do you sisable DRM Content Protected Storage?

MrKleen

Reaction score
I don't have very many apps installed, I have like 27GB left on it ,,, I clear cache a lot on the apps. And I always kill my apps,,, but it still runs choppy , and slow,,, it will even knock me out of a app at times

There usually is no reason to think about killing apps since the software is pretty good at taking care of this for you. Are you still stock or are you running one of the many awesome roms available? Maybe it's a good time to begin enjoying what this amazing phone offers.... But if all else fails you I would do a factory data reset and you will be like new again. Of course backup any data that is important to you.

OP
DROID MONSTER

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
No I'm not rooted yet, don't got internet... so u probably won't be able to for a while... sad to say I'm haven't been impressed with this phone at all.. its giving me so many problems

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
No I'm not rooted yet, don't got internet... so u probably won't be able to for a while... sad to say I'm haven't been impressed with this phone at all.. its giving me so many problems

You don't need the internet, you just need a computer. All of the files you need, can be downloaded straight to your phone and transferred to a computer.

MrKleen

Reaction score

If you want to do something simple to fix your issues do as I stated before.... a factory data reset found in settings under backup and reset... it is very easy to do. If you wan't to have the most awesome software out root and install Jellybean as it is very much better than Ice Cream Sandwich. But for now at least resolve your issues and getting your phone working properly by doing the factory data reset. There is no reason to continue suffering with issues unless you enjoy it.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you want to do something simple to fix your issues do as i stated before.... A factory data reset found in settings under backup and reset... It is very easy to do. If you wan't to have the most awesome software out root and install jellybean as it is very much better than ice cream sandwich. But for now at least resolve your issues and getting your phone working properly by doing the factory data reset. There is no reason to continue suffering with issues unless you enjoy it.

^^^this^^^

OP
DROID MONSTER

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
Really?? How big are they though? I have a limit of 5GB on my data.. will it take all of them??

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Really?? How big are they though? I have a limit of 5GB on my data.. will it take all of them??
A zipped up ROM is roughly (at least JellyBelly 3.6) is 125mb.
Wug's toolkit is 129mb
Drivers will be pretty small.

5gb in a month is plenty, downloading rooting/ROM files shouldn't take too much of your data.