Slow running device regardless of optimizing

enduser2941

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Perhaps this post deserves a spot in different place, but I thought I would try here first. Can anyone recommend any apps that would allow me to remove AT&T bloatware without rooting the device? I was given an unofficial suggestion by an AT&T rep to use "non-supported" apps to remove such apps from my device but I can't find anything that doesn't require root. The only reason I haven't rooted my device is because I have tried 3 separate times to do so and each time I tried a different way I have found on the forums and such and all of the failed towards the end of the process. I know some are thinking that this may have caused problems on the device which is what may be causing my poor performance however, those attempts were on the same model devices, but I had other issues with those devices and they have been replaced under warranty with the device I have now so this is a clean device of which I have never attempted to root and don't really want to either. So I would prefer an app to remove this crapware if anyone can suggest anything. I would greatly appreciate it!!

Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 NOTE: The i717 has the snapdragon chipset which is significantly slower than the exynos chipset in the N7000 Note version. I am not blaming this persea but I have had many people try to compare the i717 with the N7000 for performance, and you just can't do that.

Thanks Guys!

Please move is required.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Perhaps this post deserves a spot in different place, but I thought I would try here first. Can anyone recommend any apps that would allow me to remove AT&T bloatware without rooting the device? I was given an unofficial suggestion by an AT&T rep to use "non-supported" apps to remove such apps from my device but I can't find anything that doesn't require root. The only reason I haven't rooted my device is because I have tried 3 separate times to do so and each time I tried a different way I have found on the forums and such and all of the failed towards the end of the process. I know some are thinking that this may have caused problems on the device which is what may be causing my poor performance however, those attempts were on the same model devices, but I had other issues with those devices and they have been replaced under warranty with the device I have now so this is a clean device of which I have never attempted to root and don't really want to either. So I would prefer an app to remove this crapware if anyone can suggest anything. I would greatly appreciate it!!

Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 NOTE: The i717 has the snapdragon chipset which is significantly slower than the exynos chipset in the N7000 Note version. I am not blaming this persea but I have had many people try to compare the i717 with the N7000 for performance, and you just can't do that.

Thanks Guys!

Please move is required.

Well, unfortuantly you can't really remove turd-ware without root. The reason being that most apps that come with the phone are pre-installed in the /system folder, which is set to read only. You must have root to remount the system partition as read/write, allowing pre-installed apps to be removed. Any app that would remove bloatware would require root re-mount read/write.

Sorry! :*(

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Guess I should have said "Thanks Guys and Gals!" my bad and my sd face :*( too for your answer, but makes total sense and I understand. This however, brings me to remember that I once had an app that could "disable" some of this crap-ware, though I can not for the life of my recall what or how I did this. Perhaps it just sat and killed the process and hid the icons. I couldn't for the life of me tell you what, where, or how, but it you happen to know if this is possible, that could be a workable solution, possibly?

Thanks Mandy! :)

harrellj

Reaction score
If you look at one of those apps in settings > application manager, is disable not one of the buttons next to "force stop"? You might have to uninstall any updates to get it to appear and unfortunately, not all bloatware apps can be disabled

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Then the problem will be that the app will want to update again and will end up re-enabling itself and becomes a vicious circle unless you ignore the updates.

megasoft78

Reaction score
Unfortunately the only way I know to solve your issue is having root permissions :(

harrellj

Reaction score
Then the problem will be that the app will want to update again and will end up re-enabling itself and becomes a vicious circle unless you ignore the updates.

Not on mine. When an app is disabled its still installed but with minimum space. It also does not show up in the app drawer or play store. Not sure whether auto-update would affect that as I never auto-update.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not on mine. When an app is disabled its still installed but with minimum space. It also does not show up in the app drawer or play store. Not sure whether auto-update would affect that as I never auto-update.

I disable an app and yes it appears to go away, (not rooted) but it is listed all the way at the bottom under apps - all as disabled. Sooner or later that app appears as an update and if I allow it to update it gets enabled again. Only if I ignore the update will it stay disabled.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disable an app and yes it appears to go away, (not rooted) but it is listed all the way at the bottom under apps - all as disabled. Sooner or later that app appears as an update and if I allow it to update it gets enabled again. Only if I ignore the update will it stay disabled.

On my Rezound, Tab and Nexus7 I have no such problem. I've checked my Play store settings but don't see anything that, if setup differently , would possibly change anything relevant. I'm set up notifications on but no auto update, no auto add icons to home screen, content filtering all, password required for purchases, build version 4.1 on all my devices.
Sorry I couldn't help more.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Do you guys recall how to "disable" the apps? I can't recall how I was able to do this back when I first found out about this.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
They re-enable themselves on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 and also on my ASUS Tablet.

@Enduser
Go to the individual app is settings - apps - all. Tap it and if it says disable do it. If it says uninstall updates it will allow you to disable it after uninstalling the update.

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh yes! Thank you leeshor! I remember now, and yes, I recall the issue I had now with the updates and disabling. If I recall, as long as I had the auto updates off, then this wasn't such an issue. Thanks again DF, you guys always help me out and it's much appreciated!

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Well there are plenty of ways to do this *IF* you have root. Greenify is not the only app that can remove these apps once you have root, it's just another way to do it. Sadly though, if you read the OP, I don't have a rooted device, nor do I think I will have one anytime soon. I have tried to root my device a number of times, and each time, following the instructions implicitly, the rooting failed. I have yet to be able to get root to take on my device. And I will mention again, I believe part of why it's failing to root is because most of the "easy root" apps were designed to work for the N7000 or other more common versions of the Galaxy Note. I have the SGH-i717 which is was released strictly for AT&T in the US and Canada markets. It is not a world wide release therefore there is less support for rooting it. I have also tried manual root methods that said they "SHOULD" work for the i717, but also failed to root my device. While I am not against rooting my device, I am less inclined to try it again and risk bricking it until I read about a root method that is solid for my device and not just "should" work. :~(