Slow data speeds on 4g cleared by reboot

xfrost11

Reaction score
Recently I've been experiencing slow data speeds on 4g - speed test says ~300-512kb/s - after my phone has been on for at least a day. If I reboot my phone, the speeds return to normal. Has anybody else experienced something similar? I'm at about 6GB, so if I was on 3g I could be being throttled, but the phone is definitely connected to 4g. Traffic Monitor doesn't show anything monopolizing the bandwith either. Any thoughts? I find it very strange that a reboot clears the issue too.

Fokkerdmr

Reaction score
I went into my local VZW store this week asking about this exact thing. It was odd to me that the data rate seemed to be limited to either 300 kb/s or 600 kb/s. It also didn't seem 100% consistent - like it was a tower related problem. But, I would test via speedtest.net when I had 4 bars of 4GLTE coverage, and it was often getting only 600 kb/s.

So, I asked about any "throughput caps" for customers with unlimited plans that go over 2 GB of data per billing cycle. The CSR indicated that there was no cap - and that actually 2.8 GB in a month wasn't "excessive" - he had seen where some users were in the 100GB per month range, and for those (top x%) users, there "might be" some type of limit.

But, back to the problem. We did a battery pull and changed the server on speedtest. One of those changes ended up putting me back into the 12 mb/s range. However, testing it again now, I see that I'm back down in to the 600 kb/s range.

Stihgnob

Reaction score
I woke up to no data at all yestrrday morning but had my 4g back by afternoon. I have notice that it seems to take a while for apps to connect sometimes and the internet can be slow too. I have no clue as to whats been going on lately. Hopefully someone knows though.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums

OP
X

xfrost11

Reaction score
It really only started happening after the last update, so it's probably related to that.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I have noticed my entire phone slows down if I don't reboot on a regular basis

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Which firmware are you on? 902, 893, etc?
Next time instead of a full reboot, try just turning airplane mode on then off, it will basically reset all of the radios without resetting any of the software. If you still have slow 4g after that, you'll know its not a firmware or hardware problem, and an app or something else is causing it.
Also you should take into consideration peak usage hours; people might be using their phones more once they get off work.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Also, I usually keep my phone running for weeks at a time and don't notice it running any slower at all.

rduckwor

Reaction score
902 started this for me. For the last two days, the issue seems to have ended. I'm getting about 20Mbps down now. That's OK.

RMD

OP
X

xfrost11

Reaction score
After 5 days it happened again. I toggled airplane mode and the issue persisted. Reboot cleared it. Anyone found out anything new? I'm just running the latest stock firmware.

Fokkerdmr

Reaction score
This has happened again to me. On 902, rooted, stock ROM. I haven't determined whether its based on uptime of the phone, some particular app running, etc... but, I know it happens consistently now.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I'm only at 15 hours of uptime right now, but here are my 4g speeds with one bar of 4g:
http://www.speedtest.net/android/144161358.png

Do you have a separate app that's showing you bars of 4G? Cause AFAIK, the bars in the status bar are for phone reception and have nothing to do with data.

Fokkerdmr

Reaction score
Do you have an example of an app that does that? I tried a few, but none are clearly calling out separate data versus voice signal. FWIW, when I've tested and the download speeds are stuck at 300 or 600 kbp/s, the signal strength really didn't matter, I was sitting under a tower, and I've been at 1 bar, all cases are the same...

mike02vr6

Reaction score
same here, my speeds suck since .902, i wish moto would fix this or someone would fix it. I also have a few other issues since the update but that is for another thread.

Last edited:

roscko

Reaction score
Has this issue been resolved? I'm having the exact same problem, but with a Droid Razr MAXX, and it's annoying as hell to have to reboot phone every time my 4G speeds suck at mere hundreds of kbps.