Slow Browser Speeds

zar

Reaction score
I performed side by side tests on The Droid X and Fascinate to compare web page download times using google and other search engines. I consistently found that the Droid X finished loading the pages in a few seconds while the Fascinate took upwards of a minute for the same pages. It was especially frustrating to watch the progress bar bog down around 80-90% to completion on the Fascinate.

Running the "SpeedTest" app shows download and upload speeds around 700 kbps. WiFi was disabled during testing.

Is this an Android 2.1 vs 2.2 issue or what is the problem, if any?

p.s. this is my first post, hope i did it right

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I performed side by side tests on The Droid X and Fascinate to compare web page download times using google and other search engines. I consistently found that the Droid X finished loading the pages in a few seconds while the Fascinate took upwards of a minute for the same pages. It was especially frustrating to watch the progress bar bog down around 80-90% to completion on the Fascinate.

Running the "SpeedTest" app shows download and upload speeds around 700 kbps. WiFi was disabled during testing.

Is this an Android 2.1 vs 2.2 issue or what is the problem, if any?

p.s. this is my first post, hope i did it right

Great job on the post.

I'm not certain that browser is as fast as on a Fascinate as it would be on any Droid. Certainly the processor is fast enough so that makes me think that maybe all you need to do is clean your cache, reset (turn on/off) your fascinate and test it then. See if your browser speed doesn't improve. If that doesn't do it try another browser. Lots of people love Dolphin HD, you can get it in the Market.

OP
Z

zar

Reaction score
Clearing the cache seemed to help a bit, and using other browsers (Opera Mini and Skyfire) helped somewhat too. The load times still seem way too long in comparison to the X, but since I've never had a smart phone I have no other reference to how fast pages should load. I could hold off and see what android 2.2 does to speed things up or I could exchange my fascinate for a Droid X before my trial period ends in a couple weeks. I love most everything else about the fascinate so I hesitate to switch to the Droid X before the 2.2 upgrade is available for the fascinate.

Is my Fascinate acting normally or is there a possible issue I need to address with Verizon?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Clearing the cache seemed to help a bit, and using other browsers (Opera Mini and Skyfire) helped somewhat too. The load times still seem way too long in comparison to the X, but since I've never had a smart phone I have no other reference to how fast pages should load. I could hold off and see what android 2.2 does to speed things up or I could exchange my fascinate for a Droid X before my trial period ends in a couple weeks. I love most everything else about the fascinate so I hesitate to switch to the Droid X before the 2.2 upgrade is available for the fascinate.

Is my Fascinate acting normally or is there a possible issue I need to address with Verizon?

I have never seen the Fascinate download, but I have used other smart phones and one of the things that amazed me was how fast the Droid browser worked.

I think your expectations could be a little high. I have no idea what 2.2 will do for the Fascinate speed wise, we will have to wait to see after it comes out.

If you don't mind the size, the Droid X is a good choice.

OP
Z

zar

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I'll probably make the switch to Droid X if the 2.2 upgrade isn't released before my trial period ends on the fascinate.