Slow and Laggy Rooted Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bump47, May 16, 2010.

1. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There are a few discussions going on over at XDA involving Setcpu. The developer is certainly active over there, and has confirmed that the Setcpu widget can be a drain on the system. Much is not apples to apples with our phone (xda is Nexus), but still some insight.

Overclocked-UV-Kernel-Battery Life Without Set-CPU - xda-developers

I have been running the Setcpu widget and profiles on BBv1 and noticed this last weekend that things really got laggy. I thought perhaps it was Helix, as I did keep getting the Helix wait/fc prompt. Things became almost unbearably slow last night, so much so that I almost switched off Helix this morning to test (I did download the latest Helix). After reading the threads on XDA I decided to kill my setcpu widget and turn profiles off. So far, with a few hours of use, the phone appears to be back to normal. Need to test all day today to confirm.

So, perhaps rather than trying to install an older version, just try killing your setcpu profiles, and most certainly kill the widget. Not trying to bash Setcpu, but on my phone I have done very little in the way of updating and making changes in the last two weeks or so, other than upgrading to the latest Setcpu, and other market programs that do not actively run until chosen. Starting to wonder....

Craig

2. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My phone has gotten really slow and laggy today for some reason. I'm on Chevy's SS 3.1. Every half hour or so, it'll take forever to load anything. Then some com.process.acore I think it is pops up, and there's just a wait button. Anybody know what this is?? I've one error so far regarding the home process.

3. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Actually it was android.process.acore. it's stopped doing it now. Very weird. I haven't changed anything. I heard that it has something to do with sync. Maybe the problem just corrected itself somehow I'm guessing....and hoping. It's weird cuz I didn't install anything new or change any settings or add any new contacts or duplicates. Maybe I should do a nandroid backup right now and titanium backup just incase it wants to show its evil force close face again!!!

4. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive always had this problem since I originally rooted my droid back in the beginning of march, Ive always partially attributed it to user error. The droid is very complex and little things can set it off.

After x amount of days this would always happen to me when I was new to all of this and was rom hopping constantly (max I stayed on a rom was about a week). Everything would usually be fine and lightning fast for the first few hours and then depending on my current setup stuff would go to hell at random times. For example lets say I installed UD 8 and it would be fast for about 4 days and then slowly degrade and lag and FC a lot, Id switch over to CM 5.0.6.x and it would maybe last a week and then lag and crash.

Through various experiences like this over the past month or so this is my method for dealing with this when im switching to a new rom: wipe data 2 or more times, wipe cache, install new rom, restore /data. if that doesnt work/ doesnt fix the lag then I usually flash the 2.0.1 SBF, wipe /data at least once ,re-root and install the rom I want.

It may seem like a PITA but IMO it definitely helps. Recently when ADB Launcher was released I tried it on BBv1 and it worked fine for about an hour until I rebooted and EVERYTHING immediately crashed, so I removed it. My droid started lagging a few days after that so on monday I wiped /data a few times, wiped /system (and found out that left it unbootable) and flashed the 2.0.1 SBF. Im currently running the same setup and have been using ADB for a few days now without a problem! Ive also read about the SetCPU problems and decided to do without it for a few days since BBv1 can manage your cpu for you and all is well!

I've always found that recent versions of Helix 1 have eaten a lot of my cpu time too.

5. DirtySouth

DirtySouth New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having a very similar issue. All day long my Droid has been extremely sluggish especially when navigating between screens, browsing & scrolling through the app menu. I rooted my 2.1 Droid last night without using any custom ROM or Kernel. After reading this thread, I got to thinking about SetCPU. This morning I had added the SetCPU widget. I just removed it and I can already tell a dramatic performance difference. I'll continue to monitor and see if it stays that way. BTW, I'm also running 1.5.3a.

6. bump47

bump47 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Checking back in to let it be known that it was the SetCPU app and widget that was causing my droid to lag. Im currently running BB 1.0 with a launcher and using bettercut for some apps and multiple widgets are on my screens. It is running super smooth and easy. SetCPU was the cause for my lag. I hope this will help everyone else. Anybody experiencing lag for no reason, try to kill setcpu and don't use it for a day and see what happens. If you are running BB 1.0 then you dont even need setcpu. Thanks everybody

Search tags for this page

android running slow after root

android slow after root
android slow after rooting
android slower after root
my rooted phone is slow
root android slow
rooted android phone running slow

rooted android running slow

rooted android runs slow

rooted android slow