Slightly Off-Topic News: Google is Building 100 Prototypes of Their Self-Driving Cars

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;CqSDWoAhvLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqSDWoAhvLU[/video]​

It looks like Google is moving to the next level with their self-driving car dream. They created the above video as an announcement that they are building 100 prototypes of the AI-controlled vehicle. It definitely looks like they want folks on the road to be brilliantly aware of the car as it's outer physical design looks like a cross between Herbie the Love Bug and Wally. This will make them stand out, which is definitely a good thing when you are experimenting with something like this.

They have safety at the forefront of their project. The car has a maximum speed limited to 25 MPH. It also only includes the bare minimum within including: lights, seats and seat belts, a space for your stuff, controls for the windows, a start and stop button, and a display of your route and destination. The current version of the car doesn't even have a steering wheel or pedals, although the actual 100 prototypes will include them as "manual" a safety backup.

What do you think of this? Is it cool tech or just an accident waiting to happen?

Source: Google Blog

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I could see these being used at amusement parks for large parking lots, airports, even some kind of valet service where you park your car but they send these out to pick you up. But cities that have massive fleets of Taxis won't ever have them because of the massive work force that will be out of work. I imagine these things would get vandalized constantly by former drivers too. Again though, I'd totally own one if everyone's car was self driving.

jspradling7

Reaction score
People here in Texas drive faster than 25 in the driveway. : )

Seriously though I like the idea. Bring 'em on!

swc2001

Reaction score
Even though I Really hate big Government and believe skynet is going to get us all in the end..... I absolutely Love this concept!
More sleep and More video games, more reading, I mean there are a million things that could and probably will go wrong..... but I love it! LOL

P.s. Anybody remember this?!? Yeah thats what I am afraid of LOL
Automated cars from Minority Report - YouTube

jspradling7

Reaction score
Whoo-hoo! everyone gets a Johnny Cab!

johnny_zps9d74aa6d.jpg

swc2001

Reaction score
Wow didnt realize how many automatic cars were in movies. LOL
Anybody else have more examples?
Like in minority report I am afraid of a Government over ride switch that would take control of the vehicle. As you know people with On-Star have a kill switch on the vehicle. That switch has now been opened up to law enforcement. Sooo yeah I love it.... but still say VERY SCARY!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I love the idea of being able to work/relax in a ridiculously congested commute to work. But doubt I'll be comfortable enough with these things before I retire!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't see it being able to find a parking spot then being able to parallel park either so I'm out too.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Any details... Like maybe an 82 Trans Am? I know.. I'm probably the 50th person to think it..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't want my car driving me to locations based on my surfing history :icon_ devil: