Sliding Bluetooth Physical QWERTY Keyboard Case for Samsung Galaxy S4

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gs4-slide-keyboard-case.jpg

Do you love the new tech in smartphones, yet pine for the old Droid days with an actual physical QWERTY keyboard? If you have the new Samsung Galaxy S4, it may seem like a happy distant memory, but the folks at Hypercel have a unique accessory which may be just the ticket. It's a Sliding Bluetooth Keyboard Case designed for the Samsung Galaxy S4. It's powered by its own battery and doubles as a protective case for your SGS4. It's a bit pricey at $80 bucks, but that might be worth it for some of us. Here's a description from the manufacturer and a link to check out out,

This Bluetooth Slide-out Keyboard for Samsung Galaxy S4 provides quick access to all controls, features, camera, and ports. Conveniently designed slide-out keyboard allows you to switch from the touch screen to keyboard. It easily pairs over Bluetooth connectivity and features a slide-out QWERTY keyboard with LED back light that allows you to type when it's dark. It's powered by an advanced Lithium rechargeable battery and built-in on/off switch lets you conserve battery life. Adjustable angled body gives you flexibility to watch movies or type while you are laying down. Simply snap in your Samsung S4, connect and you've got a fully functional keyboard ready whenever you need it!

Special Features:
• Backlit Keyboard
• Specialized keys (Home, Search, Play/Pause Buttons) to
Enhance User-friendliness
• Adjustable Stand Function Conveniently Adjust from 0 - 90 degree
• Detachable Hard Shell Case
• Form-fitting shell design ensures perfect fit
• Full Coverage Protection
• Excellent Key Sensitivity
• Tilts upright

Specifications:
• Bluetooth Version: v3.0
• Operating Voltage: 3.7v
• Battery Capacity: Lithium 280mAh
• Charging Time: 2 hours
• Working Time: 8 hours
• Standby time: 45 days
• Transmit Range: 3 meters
• Product Size: 5.46in x 2.87in x 0.86in

The wonders of creativity never fail to amaze. Why hasn't anyone thought of this sooner, right?

Thanks for the tip, gadgetrants!

Source: Hypercel - Sliding Bluetooth Keyboard Case for Samsung Galaxy S4

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Long, long past due for something like this to become available. Maybe it only made business sense for a device with the distribution of Galaxy, but one would expect it's fairly easy to adapt this to different phones since it mostly requires just a different case. They're obviously going to want you to buy a NEW keyboard when you change phones, but if they could design it to be interchangeable with a variety of cases they have a big homerun.

I would buy this in a second. Only question is how much phone battery would you sacrifice always having BT on and connected? And if it's going to "sleep" how responsive and quick would it be to sliding open and starting to type?

Swype and the likes are pretty good, but for business users the errors eliminate any speed advantage and the nuisance of corrections makes a physical qwerty superior.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Would these keyboards only work with the Galaxy S4 or with any Android?

xtor

Reaction score

I have a wireless keyboard (full size) it worked on my razr and on my new note2, I would thing it would work on most new phone's.

bb to dx to razr to note 2 oh my

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

The keyboard in the OP, at least, pretty clearly has some S4 specific programming. I assume most of the basic functions would work with any BT 3.0 capable phone, but I'd expect there could be some software/compatability issues.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Well it's also a case, so I'm sure it would only fit the GS4..But I guess you could use it as a standalone keyboard (would be strange, IMHO)

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've had ideas about something like this... but no way to get a prototype built (i.e. life get's in the way.) Regardless it's a great idea and I hope it goes somewhere

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well it's also a case, so I'm sure it would only fit the GS4..But I guess you could use it as a standalone keyboard (would be strange, IMHO)

At least One of the two mentioned in this thread is detachable from the case. I don't really see the point because besides having to prop up the screen to then use the detachable keyboard, I don't know why you'd want to use it that way.

Maybe the case makers will start making compatible cases for these that fit other phones.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had ideas about something like this... but no way to get a prototype built (i.e. life get's in the way.) Regardless it's a great idea and I hope it goes somewhere

Same here. Also needed to track someone down to do the coding. Anyway, the one downside is that now you have a device that's once again huge in every dimension. Would be much better if someone *cough* Moto *cough* would build another reliable QWERTY slider. The Droid 4 and Photon are not up to snuff.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Would be much better if someone *cough* Moto *cough* would build another reliable QWERTY slider. The Droid 4 and Photon are not up to snuff.

Agreed! More than likely Motorola will abandon physical QWERTY like manufacturers already have, which makes me sad, too. My R2D2 (Droid2) has had 3 keyboard replacements & I will replace the overlay keypad again this summer awaiting the next generation device following Droid 4, have held off buying Droid 4 in foolish hope that Droid 5 (X, whatever VZW rebrands it) is "just around the corner." If BlackBerry is still producing. A brand new Q10 alongside an all-touch-screen Z-10 model, I really do hope Moto re-engages with business user needs/preferences to continue the original Droid line with slider.

Coincidentally I am considering this detachable keyboard case specifically for an S4 versus purchasing a Droid 4 and regretting the outdated specs.