Slider Keyboards...

wil2bm

Reaction score
New here and could really use some advice!

Several days ago I upgraded from a Moto Q9m to what I've put together to be the best current Verizon phone - The Droid X.

If the phone had a slider keyboard I would not have a single complaint as everything else is great. I Don't have small hands and texting has been pretty rough. The other day I switched over to swype which right now I think is ALOT easier but still can't text anywhere near as fast as I could with my Q9m.

While going over my options before upgrading I found that any android phone with a slider keyboard didn't rate anywhere near as high as the Droid X, Fascinate, or HTC.

Is there a android phone for Verizon out with a slider keyboard anyone can recommend that I should try despite overall customer reviews?

If I'm looking to get the best (or one of) am I pretty much going to be stuck with dealing with the virtual keyboard on any future phones?

Lenagainster

Reaction score
hang in there

The Droid 2 Global is probably the best you can get with a keyboard (or a Droid 2, but they have been discontinued).

My suggestion would be to give the Droid X a bit more time to see if you can adjust to the virtual keyboard to your satisfaction, and if still frustrated, try the D2G.

OP
W

wil2bm

Reaction score
I had been looking at the D2G originally but had read they are discontinuing it, and I also had a $100 Best Buy gift card and they no longer carried the D2G.

Off topic but when I create a new contact and try to set an image for that person I get as far as use existing photo, then click files, phone files, click on a folder I named contacts, select the pic, hit save and nothing shows up... any idea what I'm doing wrong? Also is there an easy way to link a facebook account to specific contacts? Had added facebook to my accounts but did not want all my friends in my contact list.

jr313

Reaction score
+1 on the D2 global having the best physical keyboard....i had the Droid 1 which has an awesome keyboard and switched over to the Droid inc and im still getting use to the virtual keyboard but im pretty pleased with it now...just give the X a lil more time like Lenagainster said or go to your verizon store and play around with the D2 yourself to see which is better before your exchange time is up..

OP
W

wil2bm

Reaction score
Well one thing I've noticed and should have mentioned is that I'm a bit of a freak show lol my thumb on my right hand is almost as wide as a toe which is the main issue I'm having as far as texting goes. Not sure if eventually I'll work my way around it or if it's not possible...

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum - glad you found us! jump in, stick around, get involved, and join in the fun!

supposedly, the D3 is coming out in Q2. no specs on the device have been leaked, but it will almost certainly have a physical keyboard. you may want to return your DX, and wait and see what the D3 holds. if you don't like it, you can always pick up another X. in fact, the DX2 is coming out about the same time as the D3, and it has been upgraded to a dual core processor.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't need small hands to type on the virtual keyboard as it's keys are actually larger than the physical keyboards keys. Large hands are going to be even worse on the slide out keyboard of the droid1/2, it's one terrible physical keyboard.

Ziggie

Reaction score
It may just take time

I got the original droid when it came out because 1) it was the most advanced verizon phone out and 2) it had a physical keyboard. I was moving from a non-smartphone and couldn't imagine trying to type on the screen. At first I used the physical keyboard exclusively. Over time I became much more comfortable with the on-screen keyboard. I still have the original droid and I haven't used the physical keyboard for anything but games in at least 10 months. It may take some time, but the virtual keyboards get easier to use with practice.