SlideIT for Android

jacestone40

Reaction score
I have been using Swype and SlideIt along with ShapeWriter...just to get a feel for all three ...so far Swype is the leader but I am digging SlideIT(beta) ..ShapeWriter can be frustrating at times but still solid ...all three have a different learning curve

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
weird I tried download slideit on Bugless Beast and it kept downloading over and over, it installed but didn't appear in my downloads list. I got freaked out so I haven't used it yet...

JKib

Reaction score
x3 I've used Swype, Shapewriter, and now SlideIt. SlideIt is my fav so far (ShapeWriter is really good except the "return" key doesn't work right).

Anyway, about SlideIt:

+Very clean UI
+More intuitive (at least for me) than Swype
+The word choices appear by the keyboard (where I'm looking), and not over the text.
+Cool shorcuts (set jk to type JKib)

-Auto cap is very easily confused.
-Auto space also can be annoying when it adds wrong spaces.
-Accents are not available on the main keys (like tap and hold), but it's not that bad to hit the # to switch over to the numbers and accents.

My 2 cents. Oh, using on Eris.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok after getting my market app to stop being an a$$hole, I finally got it to install correctly and...I actually really like it!! It's easily my second favortie keyboard (i still like swype though lol ) and will definitely try to use it for a week to see how I really like. Definitely ugly interface though haha please up-grade to higher resolution graphics please!!

ioconflict

Reaction score
There is one major factor that I have noticed with both Swype and SlideIT It's the memory usage.

Swype 9.19 MB

SlideIT 1.85 MB

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
After using it more and more I'm finding myself getting quite confortable with SlideIT. Defnitely feels a lot "lighter" than swype.

rothenbj

Reaction score
As soon as you post why this is better/different from Swype, I think we'll listen with more open ears.

The reason I like it better is simple, I get more accurate results when typing than the other two. Maybe it's my style of sliding my finger across the screen to the letters that lends itself to more accurate results with SlideIT but I find myself having to correct what I'm trying to type WAY less than I do with either Swype and Shapewriter.

I loaded SlideIT after using Swype for ages. I've only used it briefly, but there appears to be a bit of an advantage in editing, at least in my experience. The more important reason for experimenting with it is that it is available on the market. That gives you access to the developer. I Don't know if Swipe will become available on the Droid as a supported app so I'd like to have something available as an alternative.
, , ,
If this app improves over the beta period, I could see buying it.

rothenbj

Reaction score
There is one major factor that I have noticed with both Swype and SlideIT It's the memory usage.

Swype 9.19 MB

SlideIT 1.85 MB

Just as an fyi, that's storage size, not memory size. Also, I Don't know how much of either app gets put into phone storage and how much ends up on the sd card. I doubt Swipe puts it's entire app in the phone area.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok so the pro version is now available...it's €5.99 ($8) who's biting? I really do actually like slideit but that's a bit steep.

rothenbj

Reaction score
Ok so the pro version is now available...it's €5.99 ($8) who's biting? I really do actually like slideit but that's a bit steep.

I like SlideIT, I think it has potential. I just have not used it enough to spend close to ten bucks for it. I even shifted back to Swype because I' ve had difficulties solving some of the input issues.

First, getting words in the dictionary. I want to use Swipe (sic) in this sentence. Although it knows I keyed Swype and it is in their dictionary, when I SlideIT to Swipe, I Don‘t get the option to even select the right word.

Second, when I was keying this sentence, I got keeping, letting and a couple other words as options but never keying.

Third, have not found an easy was to key in abbreviations. Try haven‘t. Hansen, no Jane, no Jane, no have n’t, no....

If I could work through some of these issues, yes, no perhaps ( that “ yes” was suppose d to be perhaps).

Swore, no Swipe, no Swipe, shoot Swype has some issues that need correct Ing ( there it goes again), but not nearly what I‘ ve found here.

I’ll keep trying though.

wingdo

Reaction score
I've tried all three myself and like both SlideIT and Swype.

Since Swype states they have no interest right now in selling to peon's (aka end users) and since running it isn't quite legal, I have decided that SlideIT is worth the 5.99 Euro. It's not so much money that it's unbearable to me, and since people allover the Swype forums are saying they'd pay on average $20 for Swype if it were available on the marketplace the cost seems reasonable. It's accurate for me (way more so than the default keyboard or better keyboard), and I can type faster.

The only thing I can note is to never enable "Automatic Space" as that's the reason people complain about the editing capabilities. Even with this disabled, the keyboard still automatically puts spaces between words, it just doesn't place one every time you try to manually correct something.

OP
D

Droman

Reaction score
SlideIT - Absolute Genius Keyboard

[video=youtube;xf0iuQXYCGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf0iuQXYCGY]YouTube - SlideIT - Absolute Genius Keyboard[/video]

:icon_ banana: There is a Swype-style app on the market called SlideIT that works the same only far more accurate, with larger keys and fully customizable shortcut dictionary. It isn’t free (I paid about $8), but worth every penny in my opinion.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok Slide IT is a pretty good app, but this is becoming border-line spamming...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk