Skype with bluetooth headset: sound issues

wushu1

Reaction score
Hello all.. I have downloaded Skype via the marketplace and it works.. well.. ok.. I get alot of squeaking noise on the audio. Sounds like a hamster is inside there working overtime on the wheel. Also, if I connect my bluetooth ear piece, there other person can no longer hear me although I can hear them.. and vice versa.. if they use their bluetooth device they can hear me, but I can't hear them.. Is this a known issue with bluetooth and Skype?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hello all.. I have downloaded Skype via the marketplace and it works.. well.. ok.. I get alot of squeaking noise on the audio. Sounds like a hamster is inside there working overtime on the wheel. Also, if I connect my bluetooth ear piece, there other person can no longer hear me although I can hear them.. and vice versa.. if they use their bluetooth device they can hear me, but I can't hear them.. Is this a known issue with bluetooth and Skype?

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to your questions yet. I'll try to lend some possible explanations for the issues you are having but since I don't use Skype I will be essentially shooting in the dark. However, I do know that the "squeaking" or often referred to as "squawking" can be a result of the Analog to Digital conversion and the lack of a strong quality data connection (or data loss). This then translates to corrupted data. Then when the data reaches the other side and the Digital to Analog conversion (the reverse) takes place the missing packets or corrupted data results in conversion errors. These conversion errors result in the audio being infused with strange sounds such as squawking, chirps, stuttering, breaks in audio, or a number of other sound aberrations.

As for the headset issues I can't say for sure, but it could be related to the fact that Skype isn't an actual "phone call" in the true sense of the words, but is instead "Voice over Internet Protocol" (VOIP). VOIP is considered a form of media audio rather than phone audio, and the problem you two are experiencing may be related to the headsets not being what is known as A2DP compatible, meaning they can only transmit and receive phone audio, but you can't use them for media audio. One sure way to know if that is true is to determine if your headset can hear audio from mp3s or video, or if you get sound notifications that would normally play over the phone's speaker.

This is my best guesses as to your problems, but hopefully with my input maybe someone who knows otherwise will chime in. Many on here know me and will migrate to posts I make both to read and learn and to assist whenever possible, so let's see if that pans out.

Good luck.

OP
W

wushu1

Reaction score
FoxKat,
Thanks for the input. The noise I hear may be from data/packet loss as you replied. I was on wifi at home, and the other side was on Verizon network. I do get media playback on my headset, both mp3 and videos/movies. Oh well, I will chalk it up to "just one of those things that doesn't work right now".
BTW: I enjoy your replies to others. They are informative and pretty funny sometimes.

TheOMB

Reaction score
Try turning pdf 4 G and see if noise goes away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I never have any audio problems with 4g enabled.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
W

wushu1

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip OMB. But, I don't have 4G in my area yet (which sux) so it was never turned on.