1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Skype WIFI - Workaround?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by droid100, Jul 14, 2010.

1. droid100

droid100 New Member

Skype just recently started working again on Froyo 2.2 but the WIFI limitation still exists.

I have a question about this that hopefully some of you experienced users can answer. Is there a way, on a rooted version of froyo, to hide the WIFI connection from skype?

It seems like the application's background service just listens for the WIFI broadcast or checks it on startup and decides Yes/No to allow usage. There's no programmatical difference between Wifi/3G, so beyond this check there shouldn't be any limitation.

Can the Wifi enabled broadcast be disabled or hidden from a process somehow?

Just curious... it seems like a simple and intriguing limitation they have set.
  2. droid100

droid100 New Member

I just want to add that I'm not suggesting this might be a valid workaround. I am just curious about the way this works and hoping someone with more familiarity might be able to clear it up for me.

Thanks
  3. CKyle22

CKyle22 New Member

Skype still doesn't show in the Market for me... :( Froyo 2.2.
  4. motoDROID.FTW

motoDROID.FTW New Member

Figure i would put more about me here, im the cool
    Hmm...Do you have your Wi-Fi turned on? Just wondering beecause Skype works well on 3g on my Droid. I think anyways. lol, i dont pay attention to it ecause im only using it for another week to talk to my girl while shes on vacation. :icon_ banana:
  5. droid100

droid100 New Member

If you turn WIFI on and try to launch skype, it won't work. It gives a message saying that skype doesn't currently work on wifi and offers to turn it off. You can't even chat.

I'm guessing the program goes out and checks the state of the wifi connection. I wanted to see if it was possible to craft a response or modify the binary to always respond with OFF.
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I run a market program that makes the market think I'm running 2.1, not 2.2 and I see it. I think I can copy it off my Droid if you'd like.